Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Pregnant and terrified of morning sickness!!

I just found out the other day that my husband and I are expecting. I'm only about 4 weeks along, so it's still quite early, but even so I'm freaking out about getting morning sickness!! So far I have been OK with the exception of some nausea with getting really hungry. Every little quirky feeling in my stomach makes me panic. Lucky for me I have always had kind of a "cast iron stomach," and I pretty much never get sick and v* so I am just hoping that also carries through pregnancy, but there are extenuating circumstances that can override even my strong stomach. Are there any anti-emetic products out there that are safe for early pregnancy? Or anything anyone has known to help or prevent any morning sickness?
    I'd ask my doctor if I had one yet... My husband took his old job back and just started back today so we don't have insurance quite yet but it should only be a week or two before we do. My husband does also know about my emetophobia, as does my in-laws (my sister in-law is also pregnant and only 5 weeks ahead of me, so that's kinda fun, but she did get some morning sickness she told me )
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: Pregnant and terrified of morning sickness!!

Hi honey!

First of all, congratulations! Being a mother is one of the most rewarding things in the world. J

Secondly, not everyone gets morning sickness. Just as people are different, hormones and pregnancy affect each person differently. The one and only time I got morning sickness (I have three children) was when I was so obsessed with not getting morning sickness that I stressed myself out and got sick. So, lesson in point is, please try not to stress about it. Being a fellow emet, I feel your pain, but please resist the urge to stress/obsess. I also have a strong stomach, so chances are, you’ll be fine.
    However, if it is a major concern of yours, wait until you have insurance and discuss it with an OBGYN. He or she should be able to prescribe some anti-morning sickness medicine of some sort.
    Best of luck, and keep us posted on how you’re doing!!
    Blessings,
    DogLover8

P.S. How fun that you and your sister-in-law are going through this together!! J

77% of emet women have vomit-free pregnancies. The odds are in your favor.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luckily, not everyone gets morning sickness and there are many amazing treatments if you do. Ginger root is safe for all stages of pregnancy, but there's also Zofran if you need something stronger. If you're really worried, talk to your doctor about which meds are safe. Hopefully (s)he will give you a script for whatever you want

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Not everyone has morning sickness. I had it mildly. I was just turned off by food mainly. I could only eat what sounded appealing to me. I made it through 2 pregnancies and never got sick. Congratulations!!!

Awwww congratulations! A lot of morning sickness is mind over matter, which is something emets are great at (because most of us would rather live under a rock than allow ourselves to v*). My sister had a lot of n* early in her pregnancy and she was able to combat it with deep breathing and after dinner mints. Most women who v* a lot during their pregnancy have a very rare condition called hypermesis gravidarum. I had it when I was pregnant with my son. I won't lie, it sucks, but it sounds to me like if you haven't struggled by now, you'll probably be okay. I had the uncontrollable v* before I even realized I'd missed my period, so it started super early with me.

My best advice? Stay away from really fatty/greasy foods, eating heavy foods before bed, keep mints and candied ginger on hand (Altoids were the best for me!) and never let yourself get hungry. A lot of the n* pregnant women experience is because of hunger.

Thanks for all the tips... Again I can't ask a doctor because I have no insurance until January (but maybe I will look into the healthcare marketplace thing, see if my husband and I can get something sooner or cheaper.) Sounds like I should get a bag of mints, lol. I've heard saltine crackers are good to snack on too. I know a lot of women don't get morning sickness, but I also don't want to just wait and see if I do or don't! I'm trying to keep eating now and then to prevent my stomach from being empty too long, I've heard that helps. Every little odd feeling in my stomach sure does make me nervous. Not to mention I'll be telling my family about it tonight. Which should be a happy thing, and for the most part will be, its just that my husband and I had moved to TX two months ago, didn't work out, and we just moved back (husband got his old job back) so we are living in an RV until we get more money and find a place to live. So we are extremely broke right now. And my parents will feed off that. :/
    Anywho. Back to the whole morning sickness thing. Is this Zofran stuff an OTC or is it by prescription? Is there a certain point along the pregnancy that morning sickness typically stops? I just hope I never get it... I've never v* in my life past little kid age, I would absolutely freak out.

I had no morning sickness with my daughht but my son it was hell. I fought with my emetophobia until he was born. I took ginger capsules, sucked on altoid ginger mints, took b6 and unisome together at night and than was prescribed zofran. Congratulations and ill have my fingers crossed for you that you dont feel sick at all and if you do dont worry there are things they can give you and there is plenty of remedies over the counter.

Ive been through 4 pregnancies.....23 weeks pregnant with my 5th!! i never really got what id call "morning sickness" i always got this feeling in the back of my throat that i was going to gag...almost constantly with dizziness....i only gaged one time with my second....and thats because i got up too fast and got really light headed. Ginger capsules, one in the morning and one at night saved my life with this one!! i was too afraid to try them before! but boy do they work!! congrats!!
    Last edited by afraid213; 10-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    I just found out the other day that my husband and I are expecting. I'm only about 4 weeks along, so it's still quite early, but even so I'm freaking out about getting morning sickness!! So far I have been OK with the exception of some nausea with getting really hungry. Every little quirky feeling in my stomach makes me panic. Lucky for me I have always had kind of a "cast iron stomach," and I pretty much never get sick and v* so I am just hoping that also carries through pregnancy, but there are extenuating circumstances that can override even my strong stomach. Are there any anti-emetic products out there that are safe for early pregnancy? Or anything anyone has known to help or prevent any morning sickness?
    I'd ask my doctor if I had one yet... My husband took his old job back and just started back today so we don't have insurance quite yet but it should only be a week or two before we do. My husband does also know about my emetophobia, as does my in-laws (my sister in-law is also pregnant and only 5 weeks ahead of me, so that's kinda fun, but she did get some morning sickness she told me )
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I know exactly what you are going through...my husband really wants to get pregnant and we just started trying. I am pretty convinced I am pregnant, but won't know until the date my period is supposed to come (10 more days..!). I've been getting a little queasy and then reeeally hungry and now have a bit of a yucky stomach after eating some fatty ground beef, but, I know these could all be psychosomatic things from me THINKING I am pregnant and being terrified of morning sickness! I am just trying to focus on the fact that pregnacy is such a blessing and hang on for a few more days till I can get to take a pregnancy test and potentially see my doctor!

ps- If you are pregnant, you should really see a doctor ASAP! I know there are many women's clinics near where I live (in MD) that will give you check ups, etc. without insurance. Maybe you can find a place like that near you??? Best wishes for a healthy and v*-free pregnancy!!!

So I was actually feeling just fine most days since I posted this... But yesterday things kind if turned. Since yesterday my stomach has been really off...feeling icky and kind of nauseated. Its really freaking me out. I often have a knot in my throat and I have the "excessive salivation" that I've read about, which is gross having a constant spit flavor in your mouth. I've been having trouble sleeping and read that Unisom helps with morning sickness so I might try that. Sounds like I should find these ginger capsules...are these found in the vitamins section?? I am going to a free pregnancy clinic Friday, finally though its pretty limited since its a free clinic. I'm so scared of getting sick.

Yep. theyre with the is a normal pregnancy symptom. doesnt mean you will vomit!!
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Hope you are doing better and had a good visit at the free clinic I found these ginger drops that you suck on and they are great- they're called tummy drops. I found them on Amazon, but you might be able to find them at a Vitamin Shop or something. I've also found carrying minty gum helps, and a few "safe" snacks.

I was given anti sickness tablets when I was pregnant, but eating little and often can help apparently - congratulations

On to week 10 with no v* or true morning sickness, yay!! I still get a yucky feeling stomach most evenings/nights but not enough to get sick. I have ginger ale on hand, crackers, hard candies... My husband and I got to see our little dancing bean on the big screen at the free pregnancy resource center, but they're not a doctor office so they can't do diagnostics. I'm *still* working on getting medical assistance, but hopefully it will go through ok because if not we're screwed. (Make "too much" for Medicaid but no health insurance until January.) Any who...I must admit now I'm really scared to ever have a second child. I feel like most women who don't have morning sickness with the first kid do with their second (or vice versa). But hopefully then I'll also be much better set with insurance and doctors and whatnot. I sure do hope the excessive salivation quits soon...its so gross.

Congratulations on making it almost through your first trimester! I can only speak for myself but I made through two pregnancies without any morning sickness or any sickness to seriously speak of. I had a few random bouts with my son where I felt queasy, but I quickly realized that it was because I was hungry or overly tired. Or one time my husband was cooking some God awful smelling something for himself and I had to leave the house until he could air it out. I yelled at him to NEVER do that again! LOL But I had one of each, a son first, then my daughter second and I never had any serious n* or anything with either of them. I had a few dizzy spells with my daughter that had to do with a drop in blood sugar, once I ate a protein snack I was right as rain. In fact in my 2nd trimester with my son I felt like a MILLION bucks. I told my husband I never felt so good in my life than when I was pregnant with him from the 14th week on! Except for the fact that I threatened premature labor at 29 weeks and had to be induced due to high blood pressure at the end of both pregnancies, I felt WONDERFUL. I hope and pray you have the same experience for the remainder of your pregnancy and do not let it concern you about a second one either! Blessings!

When I found out I was pregnant 3 1/2 years ago...I was afraid of it too. But NOTHING happened!! I was fine. At times, I felt a little "off"...meaning, I had certain aversions to the thoughts of certain foods. But I was never sick...etc.
    I got through it with ZERO morning sickness. GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!