Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: is it noro?

Default is it noro?

A sv* has made its way to my house. It got both my sons, hubby and a little girl I babysitting for. Its mild though. Everyone had n* and v* once maybe twice. No d* that I know of. I'm the last to get it in my house so I'm waiting. Does it sound like noro? All the stories I read make it sound awful and so far this just doesn't seem to be.

Default Re: is it noro?

Hey, I think it affects different people in different ways, from what I have read there are many different strains of noro, strain Sydney 2012 is the worst and knocks people out for days. Also it depends on how many virus particles that the person ingests and whether the virus can bind in their gut. It sounds like you have had a mild noro bug in your house, fingers crossed that you don't get it. Do a little research, knowledge is power!
    Last edited by lizziescarlett; 10-09-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by lizziescarlett View Post
    Hey, I think it affects different people in different ways, from what I have read there are many different strains of noro, strain Sydney 2012 is the worst and knocks people out for days. Also it depends on how many virus particles that the person ingests and whether the virus can bind in their gut. It sounds like you have had a mild noro bug in your house, fingers crossed that you don't get it. Do a little research, knowledge is power!

We had it last September also, no idea what strain but it was the same, very mild, everyone was only sick 1 or 2 times and felt MUCH better. Lasted less than a day.

You might just be a family that isn't affected too badly by sv which is great. I look on the health protection agency website to see what's going round (UK only) they publish noro figures every month and have a graph comparing the outbreaks compared to previous years. There are 5 different sv strains going round the UK at the moment. If you're in the UK type noro HPA figures into google and it will all come up, if you are in the US I think the CDC do the same sort of thing. It is scary reading but I'm an emet who would rather know than be in the dark, makes me feel I have a little control (stupid I know) how many hours is it since your family were sick?

Maybe?!

I'm in the US. I'll have to look up the figures. The last person to v* was about 36 hours ago. My oldest started Saturday night about 9:00. He v* again around midnight and that was it. My husband came home from work Monday night feeling yucky. He v* (although he said he forced it to get rid of the n*) about 8:00 that evening. Then my youngest v* on Tuesday morning around 8:00 and again early Wednesday morning about 1:45 am. That was the last person in my house to be sick. Now a little girl I babysitt for (she was here Monday-Wednesday) got sick last night around midnight. As of this morning she's back to her self.

Sounds like a mild virus but still nasty for all involved. It is worth looking up, it gave me huge reassurance last winter to see the line on the graph at a very low level for noro compared to previous years. I would give it another 24 hours and announce an all clear, when the sv ripped through our house it affected us all within 2 days with a 26 to 29 hour incubation period between my sister contracting it and showing symptoms but then again different strains may vary in incubation time.

I'm just SHOCKED I haven't gotten it. I have cleaned up v*, soiled laundry and cared for everyone. Even kissed my hubby and drank after him and I haven't gotten sick...yet. Its like, lets get this over with if its' going to happen. I'm tired of "waiting." It's getting to me!!

Maybe you are immune, have you checked out the blood type/immunity to noro thing? I can't remember all the facts but if you are a b blood group you may have a certain amount of immunity to some strains of sv, maybe you just cleaned very well and haven't picked up the bug, either way you are almost at the end of your waiting time, if you don't feel poorly within the next 12 or so hours I'm guessing you are fine, each case of vomiting in your house was roughly 36/48 hours apart, you were exposed to the first incident and that was days ago, you should have come down with it already, I think you got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by lizziescarlett View Post
    Maybe you are immune, have you checked out the blood type/immunity to noro thing? I can't remember all the facts but if you are a b blood group you may have a certain amount of immunity to some strains of sv, maybe you just cleaned very well and haven't picked up the bug, either way you are almost at the end of your waiting time, if you don't feel poorly within the next 12 or so hours I'm guessing you are fine, each case of vomiting in your house was roughly 36/48 hours apart, you were exposed to the first incident and that was days ago, you should have come down with it already, I think you got lucky
    I have blood type O so I don't think that applies to me. I've read about that a few times, those lucky people with B! lol!

I'm still waiting, I'm not going to relax personally until it's been well over a week. I'm just extra on edge because we have a vacation next week. So if I'm going to get it, I'd rather get it now than then.

This does NOT make me feel better.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Hom...he-stomach-flu

I've read the blood type thing and I have no idea what mine is but I haven't had an sv since I was around 7 ( maybe that was rota?) and I'll be 27 in a week. Makes me wonder if I have some sort of immunity ::knock on wood:: not that I have been around anyone who was actively being sick but I wasn't careful about hygiene until a few years ago. Anyway I know a lady with b blood type and gets it often her husband who isn't a b blood type has only v* once in the 25 years they've been together and has never caught noro from her or their daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that, I bet they touched something that was infected and caught it, so incubation would still be 72 hrs

I think it comes down to hygeine really. I had a sv* when I was 8 and not again until I was 24 (and that may have been fp* because nobody else got sick). I didn't have another sv* until last year at 28. The one I had when I was 8, was yucky, 12 hours straight of v* every 30 minutes or so. I don't remember having d*. Then when I was 24 I was 36 weeks pregnant with my youngest son, my hubby made me shrimp curry for my birthday, that night about 3 am I was up v* and d* for about 5 hours straight. It was awful! Nobody else got sick, just me. Then when I was 28 (last year) same scenario as now, my oldest son, my younger son, my hubby and I. All within 2 days apart (hubby and I together though) and it was very mild.

The others were clumped together so closely, so maybe you made it through OK. You sound very accepting of a vomit-inducing bug floating around your house! I think most who post here would be in a terrified panic!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    The others were clumped together so closely, so maybe you made it through OK. You sound very accepting of a vomit-inducing bug floating around your house! I think most who post here would be in a terrified panic!
    Believe me, I'm in a panic. I think I seem "accepting" because I'm so scared of having it on our vacation next weekend. So I almost want to get it just so I KNOW I won't have it next weekend. Ya know? I mean what if I didn't clean enough and it catches up with me the day we get there. That is my panic honestly.

It's Noro. For sure. How is your little guy feeling today? Any better? Given that you had waves of n* on and off for 24 hours a few days ago, it could have already hit you. Do the families of the kids you keep know that your family has been ill? I know we're all a little nutso on here, but I can't believe they are still dropping their kids off!!! Guess that goes to show to 'the rest of the world' handles it, eh? I think you're either doing a great job of cleaning so you've avoided it (it isn't passed through saliva so the kissing, sipping is nil, I've done both with my kids and hubby and have never caught it), already had it, or your immune system is just taking care of it this go around!

As per the stuff on the web, don't read it, it's not helpful and a good percentage of the time not even true. Seriously, you don't know who is writing that stuff or if they are exaggerating/making stuff up. That's not helpful, so stay off of those sites!

You're doing so well!

Thank you so much Syrup!! I'm trying so hard to remain positive but its really hard. I wouldn't be do scared if it wasn't for our trip next week.