Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default chicken sell by date..no use or freeze by date. is it safe?

i bought chicken like 1 1/2 weeks ago...and on the package the sell by date is 10-6-14. it doesnt have a use or freeze by date....is it still safe? Theyre individually vaccuum packed chicken breasts.
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Default Re: chicken sell by date..no use or freeze by date. is it safe?

It's 5 days past the sell by date, I am usually pretty liberal with those dates, but honestly, I don't think it's suggested to go beyond 3 days. You can always do the smell/feel test. If it smells off and/or is at all slimy it's gone bad but really, I would chuck it.

Where have you been storing it? If it's been in the fridge I absolutely would not eat it. I read on a government site (I can't remember which one, but it ended in .gov) that raw chicken is only safe in residential fridges for 1-2 days. The reason the grocery store has a longer fridge life is because the temp is heavily regulated by the store employees.

I just wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Edit: here is the website

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html
    Last edited by KimberlyP; 10-11-2014 at 03:13 PM.

For future, if you don't plan on using right away freeze them.