Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Another post about colonoscopy fears...please read!!!

Hello All,

I am scheduled for an endoscopy/colonoscopy on the 31st and here is my problem: When I had one 11 years ago, I had a prep that wasn't too bad, not a lot to drink, and I did okay on it. Well now, they don't use that prep anymore and took it off the market. Now the only ones they use have you drinking like 64 oz of fluid, or another one that's a little less but tastes bad. I've been reading reviews on the internet and soooo many people are saying that the prep made them sick or they couldn't drink it all because they would have gotten sick. So I am TERRIFIED and trying to figure out which of these two to take. One is with miralax and Gatorade (64 oz total, which I probably don't drink in 3 days, let alone one!), and the other is Suprep, which is 2 16 oz bottles separately and then 2 more 16 oz of water or something like that. People say it tastes vile, like salty cough syrup.

What have you all had in the past if you had this procedure??? I hate this!!! But I have to have it for the reflux and constipation issues I've been having. Which one should I do? HELPPPPP!!!

Default Re: Another post about colonoscopy fears...please read!!!

I haven't had a colonoscopy but my husband has. In fact, he had his first last year and I was scared to death. His prep consisted of a huge jug of liquid and he had to drink an 8oz glass of it every 10 minutes until it was gone and I was convinced he would end up v. Long story short, he didn't have one bit of trouble-no n, no v-nada. He started his prep at 4pm and was all cleaned out by 8pm. In fact he was salivating over all these fast food commercials cause he had to fast and couldnt eat a thing.
    He also did awesome with the procedure. He slept off the sedatives, woke up a couple hours later and went and played a round of golf!!
    To me, the Miralax with gatorade sounds the lesser of two evils. I've also read on this site of others who did that and sailed right through. And for the love of God-please, please, please stay off google!! I'm convinced that 95%of the reviews people put out there are over-dramatized and are of the "woe is me" variety. I know it's easier said than done, but please try to remember that much of that is fear-mongering. I'm sure we could google 'tylenol' and find a ton of people who claim it made them v non-stop for hours on end....you know how some people like to be over the top dramatic!
    Last edited by jmoore10; 10-15-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Fix random typos :)
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I've had one as was absolutely fine. You will be too. Here's the thing. I know, and I'm sure you know, TONS of people that get these things regularly. NONE of those people have EVER indicated that they had a problem. Being emetophobic we choose to focus on the 'worse case scenario'. It's part of who we are, we wear the 'poop tinted glasses' instead of the 'rose tinted' that the rest of the general population wears! Seriously though, we are fed TONS of positive information about any given thing and yet we can't turn away and remain SO FOCUSED on the small % of poor information that we're given. On top of that we go searching for bad news! What's REALLY working against us is that we search for it online where overly dramatic people love to share their doom and gloom stories. Think about the kinds of people who are writing what you're reading. NOBODY who has a positive experience (which is 99.99999% of people who've had colonoscopies) are going to write about it because it's boring and nobody cares about THOSE stories - it's only the people who exaggerate and want to top the other posters OR the one guy who maybe had a reaction. I am SOOOOOOO sure that you're going to be fine. Really. Truly! Either are going to be fine. I promise!

Ive had one of those, the drink wasnt bad at all. Didnt really taste anything. Then I slept during the procedure. Being put under wohoooh!
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Thanks guys...I know what you're all saying is true. But gosh, sooo many people got sick from it. And I am sooo picky about drinking and eating...I was thinking of starting early and having a very soft diet for a few days before, then maybe liquid diet ahead of time too. But I'm so thin that I can't afford to lose weight. AND I have a large "anniversary" date coming up shortly after so I am all superstitious now as well....it's always something to worry about!!

I had one last year and I was absolutely terrified of the prep. I can't remember what it was and it's probably different anyway as I'm in the UK. I was completely fine, didn't feel sick at all. My advice - add cordial to it (if allowed, check instructions). Drink it through a straw. Leave a slightly longer gap between drinks. I drank a glass every 25 mins instead of the recommended 15 mins, as this is supposed to lessen the risk of stomach cramps. I also sucked on a mint (only for about 30 seconds then spat it out) after every glass. DON'T SWALLOW IT.

Despite bending the rules slightly by leaving a longer gap between drinks and sucking on forbidden mints, the doctors said I'd done a good job with the prep and they got some good pictures. I sympathise, I remember how scared I was but I was fine, I think you'll be fine too.

I had miralax for one of mine and no it wasnt the greatest tasting, and had a bit of a weird 'texture' but I found mixing it with orange squash and just necking it was fine! I had a glass of plain water to have a few mouthfuls of straight after to wash the taste out. Also holding your nose while drinking works for strong tastes you don't like.

For me, it's the volume that will kill me. I don't drink that much in 3 days, let alone one!! I'm hoping I will be cleaned out way before...I just don't know!!!

Hi! I had the same procedures last December, and like you I was terrified (I mean so scared I made my mom cancel it twice before i actually did it) of the prep! My advice would be DO THE MIRALAX. and instead of Gatorade, use ice water, the Gatorade was waayyy too much sugar for me so I switched halfway through to water! MIRALAX has no flavor and the ice numbs your mouth so you almost forget you're drinking so much.Depending on how big or small of a person you are, you probably won't need to finish the entire 64 oz. pretty sure they put that as the average amount to "clean someone out" but for me I got to probably 50 oz and was wayyyyy done. Our bodies actually Need That much water daily, so it will not make you feel sick at all unless you try and chug it all at once. Good luck! I'm sure you will get through this totally fine!!

Sounds good, thanks! I take miralax often anyway so I know it doesn't really have a taste. Someone else said to use chicken broth too. That really sounds comforting...something hot to sip. I think my best bet will be to do different things, water, broth, apple juice, etc. Maybe take some dulcolax too. And change my diet way ahead of time. I would like to stop meats like 5 days before and just do a light diet, then go liquid, etc. Not sure how fast I will clean out because I have constipation issues. BUT, like you said, I am very small and underweight (like 95lbs) so I am afraid to lose too much weight. Gosh, it's always something to worry about!!! This is gonna kill me just worrying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0

I'm exactly the same as you! Honestly this whole process will most likely make you lose quite a bit of weight so in my opinion you should continue your normal diet Until they tell you not to. Stopping eating things beforehand might make you feel different which could make it harder to do the prep (since it's gonna be basically two days of fasting for the procedure). Just my experience though, so whatever you feel is right for you! And really, don't stress over this, it will be a total breeze!! For me it was actually kinda fun, I liked the feeling of the anesthesia haha oops! it will all go by so fast, the worst part will be using the bathroom all night from the prep :P

Okay, sorry, still worrying...looking up anything and everything about colonoscopy prep, procedure on this Healthboards site. Friday is coming wayyyy too fast!! :0000

Good luck!! I'm positive you will do great! try and distract yourself from worrying, all those online message boards will have tons of "horror stories", which are very uncommon to happen. Take this weekend as a nice time to relax after the procedure, it will be fine, I promise(:

Thank you, Katie!!! I will tryyyyyy.....

Okay, after fighting with the front desk staff who kept promising me a script of Zofran, I finally got it. I took the 2 dulcolax at 11 am, took the Zofran at 2 pm, started my first dose of miralax with chicken broth at 2;30, and am now on the second dose with apple juice. Not much happening yet...I feel constipated still...I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I am taking 4 times the dose for miralax....not even gonna think about tomorrow yet. All you Zofran users, how is it? Any side effects?? How effective??? Thank you all for your patience!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO!!! Just want to tell you all that I survived with no nausea!!! SOooo relieved. As usual, I worried wayyyyy tooo much about this. What made it easier was to tailor the prep to me. I used different liquids and took my time. And I also told them all my concerns and they really tried to make me feel comfortable. I am vowing to really try to be more positive, not worry about every little thing, and change my thoughts. Talk later!!

I'm so super proud of you. So inspiring-I hope that when the inevitable day comes that I get the procedure that I cope even as 1/10 as good as you did
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Thank you jmoore!! You will too, I'm sure! And I told the doc that in another 10 years he better have a much easier way of doing this!!

Thank you to Syrup who directed me to this thread. I had started a new colo post last night. I have a call into my gastro to see what he willing to do to help me with the prep. I will ask him about what Andee suggested. Slamming my 92 lbs body with gastro explosives plus copious liquids is a recipe for N and V. I have and I will take Zofran. Each gastro has their own preferences for prep and I have found that they are not terribly flexible.
    Any other colo experiences?

YAY! Good for you!!!