Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Bit of a relapse; need some rational thoughts

SO, quick backstory is that I suffered very badly from emet when I was 11/12/13 a few years ago. I started really focusing on breathing and rational thinking, and was able to start a clean slate of a mostly anxiety-free life...

But today is a bad day. I know some are you are familiar with "throat nausea"? My stomach is fine. Its my throat that just keeps feeling so odd. Honestly I think if I could burp, it would probably be okay! It's not a reflux/acidic feeling; it's more of a gassy feeling in my throat, like something wants to come up. And my head is all funny because I'm so anxious.

I woke up this morning with a terrible sore throat and mildly stuffy nose. I find myself feeling okay for a few minutes and then the feelings come back. I'm just panicking and this is really bringing me back to the days I've worked so hard to put behind me and recover from. Grr!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Bit of a relapse; need some rational thoughts

I had that a lot before being diagnosed with GERD. Acid reflux is regurgitation of stomach acid. It can cause sore throats and that feeling in the throat. If possible, try and see a Gastro ASAP

It sounds like you might have a bit of a head cold and the post nasal drip is irritating your throat! That happens to me a lot too, and it always gives me that throat n* feeling- no fun You're okay girl, keep thinking rational thoughts! You are healthy, safe, and completely okay!!

that happens to me a lot sweetie...I have GERD and panic attacks

i agree with stayingstrong - it sounds to me like post nasal drip. i have allergies so that happens to me a lot, so i know how much it sucks. i had it just a few days ago actually, and ended up panicking and texting my mom about it. just keep thinking rational thoughts and maybe try drinking a mild but hot drink like tea. if it is post nasal drip it'll be gone in a day or two!

I get weird throat with anxiety too! I've also got fluey symptoms at the moment and am worrying even though i get headcolds a few times a year and have never v*d from them... Sometimes it's hard to be totally rational!

I feel for ya... It seems like my throat is one of my body parts that's most sensitive to anxiety. When I have anxiety or panic attacks it often feels like there's something under my tongue or where my glands should be... Don't really know how to explain it, just feels like some sort of pressure... It's really scary though, especially if my stomach feels weird along with it. Other times I also have this feeling of being bloated and full and having something lodged in my throat, and it feels like I would feel better if I just burp, but I can't and it can stretch on for long periods of time. Lasted three-four hours today; not fun. Also I started feeling weird around my EARS and throat and head today, and I started getting dizzy... technically it had nothing to do with my stomach first, but as soon as I got worried about that it seemed to trigger this stomach discomfort that lasted for the whole day. It's so horrible how ANYTHING that happens to your body makes you scared because you're automatically anticipating that it'll get to your stomach somehow. Worst part is I was feeling so good and energetic this morning, and now I just feel worried and miserable again... Anyway, sorry if I sound too depressed or if I'm bumming anyone out here. The last thing I wanna do is make the people who can really understand feel bad. Hang in there, everyone, it'll get better someday. I guess we all need to just focus on keeping our heads cool and making our rational thoughts as indestructible as possible!

Sound like it doesn't really have any intestinal symptoms correct? Anyway, your mind is more powerful than you know. Please know that you can go beat it and be out of that relapse asap!