Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: "It" Happened

Default "It" Happened

So, after 13 years, it happened a few times last night.

I'm thinking the cause is my diet. I've had a terrible week of horribly fatty foods; the night before last my friend and I binged on pizza, and I had a slice for breakfast yesterday. I woke up (yesterday) with a terrible sore throat and just didn't feel right the whole day. A little nauseous, unwell, etc. For dinner my mom decided on Chinese food. I didn't have any at first and then I thought I was well enough to have some....

Anyway, a few hours later it happened. I had those tell-tale signs; getting really hot, the excess saliva, and I dry heaved first. I bolted out to my deck because I thought I was just panicking, but then it happened.

The actual act of vomiting is not terrible. It's the buildup, our bodies trying to react to what is happening. It makes us feel so much worse than it actually is. And aside from the mild anxiety of shock of, "Holy crap, it happened!" I felt 100x better afterwards.

I'm feeling absolutely fine this morning but I'm still going to be cautious, BRAT diet for me. I think it's my wakeup call to stop eating out and start eating better again. I don't usually eat that bad but it's been one of those weeks...

I'm sorry if this was at all triggering but I want you guys to know it's not the end of the world! You will survive it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: "It" Happened

WOW. thanks for sharing that. It is scary to still think about myself getting sick but what a triumph for you! Im glad you are feeling better. Could it of been a small bug maybe, too?
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by mhartse View Post
    WOW. thanks for sharing that. It is scary to still think about myself getting sick but what a triumph for you! Im glad you are feeling better. Could it of been a small bug maybe, too?

SO AWEOME!!!! Isn't it the truth, v*ing truly isn't a big deal. WAY to get through and be able to say it's not the end of the world.

I agree, it sounds like (between the soar throat and the feeling 'off') you had a mild bug and the fatty food just didn't agree on top of it.

WOO! HOO! Way to overcome!

I don't care so much about the process of vomiting as I do about the taste/texture in my mouth afterwards.

Wow! You did great! Thank you for sharing... I hope I will be able to deal as well eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicles View Post
    I don't care so much about the process of vomiting as I do about the taste/texture in my mouth afterwards.
    Chronicles, doesn't a strong mouthwash take care of that within seconds?
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I saw a doctor yesterday and ended up getting my throat swabbed for strep. She said by the look of my throat, it was very likely and I'm already on antibiotics!

However she said the vomiting likely had nothing to do with it. With no fever and a pain tolerance history like mine, and since I've had strep before without vomiting, she said it was probably due to what I had been eating. Yeah, when all you've had in the past 24 hours is 4 slices of pizza and Chinese food... I think I overestimated my teenage body. Never again.

I'm feeling fine now. After the last episode happened on Saturday night, I felt 10x better, aside from the shock. I stuck to the BRAT diet yesterday just to be sure, but I'm fine! I

I'm honestly very happy it happened. It had to happen to me someday, and I'm happy it was a mild situation as opposed to something else. I now know what to expect, and I know that I will be absolutely fine, in fact better, after it happens.

Please let me know if my post(s) is/are too triggering. I'm not trying to freak anyone, just want you all to know that as someone who has been suffering her entire childhood/teenage life, it is not that bad when it happens. And it may not happen! I just made a stupid, stupid dietary choice that even most non-emets wouldn't do! (It was not food poisoning; my mom and I ate the exact same Chinese food and it's our regular place.)

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I don't find this thread triggering, 13 years though wow! You're fairly young no? So that's most of your life. You did great handling it. I always agree that the actual "act" isn't scary, it's everything before that sucks

I don't find it triggering, v* from food or medication doesn't freak me out as much as a virus or FP as I think my real fear is repeated v*. Good for you, last time I v* was from medication and it was one of those situations where their was no avoiding it and I remeber thinking it wasn't so bad. I try to tell myself that but it doesn't help me much in a panic. So thanks for the reminder.

Wow! Good for you! I agree, if I could just have an isolated V incident without other sensations, it wouldn't be as horrific as the terrifying build up of panic that leads up to it. Not that I would know, since I haven't done "it" since childhood. But I've been close, and the nausea, terror and not knowing what to do, where to go, etc., was the worst.

Nic I agree with you. I don't want to do it PERIOD. But when I do think about the fear I think WHAT if its a virus and its over and over and over again. But even so I know eventually it would have to stop.....

Glad you are feeling better!

I've been going about 9-10 years now and one day I hope to be at the place you are. I feel like before it'd actually happen id freak and my biggest fear is it won't stop or I'll start choking or ill never be able to breathe again. Obviously I know it's not logical and I'm wrong but that's what it feels like. I'm glad to hear how you handled it and your attitude! I hope this experience helps you in the future to overcome this devil of a phobia

I am currently freaking out and feeling on the edge of IT so I'm browsing here to calm down... Thank you so much for posting this, you may have just given me a ticket to sleepsville (and good timing because it's 2am)