Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Who are the level headed thinkers in here?

When panic tries to set in, how do you settle yourself?

Default Re: Who are the level headed thinkers in here?

I basically tell myself life's too short to be controlled by this phobia, and honestly, what's the worst that can happen? I like to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and the reality, instead of living in the confined world inside my head.

Probably won't help much, but it helps me!! I look at inspiration quotes also, listen to some music and just write.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone" - Audrey Hepburn

^^^^ Yes, that. I always remind myself that NO MATTER WHAT I've handled it before, made it out alive and have been absolutely fine. I also (because my fear revolves around my sons) go to large family blogs and read their sv* stories. Talk about making NOTHING out of sickness. I try to absorb some of their lightness revolving around these occurrences. Sickness has been around since the beginning of time. We ALL go through it, it's part of life. I don't want to be on my death bed wishing I had all of these moments of worry back. Sickness is a blip, it really is!

Same, think about any time you have been sick and what a non-event it actually is, the anticipation is the really frightening part and that's just in our heads! Distraction is also great, a bit of exercise, doodling, reading, whatever you enjoy to focus on until the worry goes away.

I remind myself that based on my own experience, every time I think I'm going to vomit, I never do. And the couple of times I have vomited in my whole life, I got through it no problem (what choice did I have?) and in retrospect it wasn't as bad as I think it's going to be when I'm in the middle of an emet-fueled panic attack with all kinds of scary symptoms I'm misinterpreting. Then I do my best to distract myself because if I can really get my mind to focus on something else, all the symptoms go away.

One thing I never do when I'm having a panic attack or feel like I'm going to vomit is come on here and post about it. Talking about it makes it worse for me because it keeps my mind on how awful I'm feeling and how scared I am, and that makes it all worse, not better.

"You're 34 years old. You'll get over it." LOL. I'm definitely one of the more levelheaded ones here, I think. I have to first be not feeling well in order to trigger a true meltdown. I'm PRETTY good at discerning real n* from my anxiety, (though I worry that 'this time I may be wrong') and I usually only come here for support if I'm legit suffering through a real tummy bug. I had a nice bout of anxiety last night, waking up around 1 am with a very gassy/gurgily stomach and some 'reflex' swallowing. It was most likely indigestion from eating and then laying down too soon. I took some Bonine breathed through it and read for about a half hour until it passed.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

You dont have emetophobia if you only react when your actaully Ill

That is not true. I too only react badly if I am truly feeling ill or if I am actually sick with a sv as opposed to a lot of other people on here who worry about v all day every day and cannot leave their homes or hold down a job. I think there are varying degrees of the phobia and some of us are doing better than others. Just because we don't get hysterical over every stomach gurgle, pain, or twinge of nausea does not mean we aren't emetophobic.

I don't think we should judge each other. We are here for help. Maybe some just deal with the phobia better, so good for them, wish others will get there too. For others even an upset stomach, a little n* or the rumor of a virus is terrifing. But we aren't here to judge. I too feel sometimes stupid when posting here for reasons that some might consider stupid. But if it panicks me, I post here in hope for help and understanding. And I really hope we all have that. Sorry for the long post. When I panic, I breathe, I try to make a plan for if things get worse, I try to reassure myself, I read online about advice on fighting panic...I also buy gum and cold water and keep them in my hands...in most of the cases it pases...

That's okay, I get it.
    There are a few people like me here - who have overcome a LOT and have wrestled our phobias long enough that we are able to keep them at bay. Just because *NOW* I am in active recovery, doesn't mean I haven't lived through not leaving my house, enormous weight loss, nightly attacks, etc. We're here to support the people who can, and offer calm, level headed tips to help those who struggle more than we do. I still deal with the thoughts daily - but I don't let it get in my way anymore. I carry anti-emetics and anxiety meds for when I need them. I'm at a point now where I can (most of the time) discern the difference between a panic attack and real nausea. But yes, I still turn into a complete wreck when I am really sick, or someone in my house is with something contagious.
    -Jenni

Quote Originally Posted by NaiveAndTrue View Post
    That's okay, I get it.
    There are a few people like me here - who have overcome a LOT and have wrestled our phobias long enough that we are able to keep them at bay. Just because *NOW* I am in active recovery, doesn't mean I haven't lived through not leaving my house, enormous weight loss, nightly attacks, etc. We're here to support the people who can, and offer calm, level headed tips to help those who struggle more than we do. I still deal with the thoughts daily - but I don't let it get in my way anymore. I carry anti-emetics and anxiety meds for when I need them. I'm at a point now where I can (most of the time) discern the difference between a panic attack and real nausea. But yes, I still turn into a complete wreck when I am really sick, or someone in my house is with something contagious.
    Exactly!! Amen!! Couldn't be more accurate, honestly. Just because we are getting stronger doesn't mean we've won the battle.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone" - Audrey Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Thomson View Post
    You dont have emetophobia if you only react when your actaully Ill
    I completely disagree. I've had stomach problems since I was a teen and am really good at know when it's my stomach just acting up or if I'm feeling real n* and only the latter makes me panic. I can keep it together most of the time although I have more anxiety in the winter. Emet is the fear of v* nowhere does it say you have to be in a constant panic to be consider an emet.

Maybe she's jealous. lol. Some people will come here to get better, others tend to come here to wallow. *shrugs* It is what it is. I can only draw on my own experience, as someone who is always striving for improvement, to help others of the same mind.
    -Jenni

I usually pace around back and forth and try and wait it out. It helps. Lately i've started shooting videos documenting how I am during those bouts...It's helpful, takes my mind off of it a bit.