Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What is it that you fear most

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Act of V’ing

13 30.95%
  • V’ing in public

4 9.52%
  • Feeling of no control

4 9.52%
  • Other..please explain

21 50.00%

Thread: An Emet Poll

Just wondering what others feel is the scariest part of having emet

I chose other. I fear nausea, the anticipation, the lack of control, and the smell taste and physiology of the act. I basically fear the whole darn thing. My worst fear is vomiting in public, but vomiting in private is almost as bad, less the embarrassment factor.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Being trapped in the bathroom for days, hours or even weeks at a time.
    Not even being able to lay in bed. The horrible feeling, the smell, the
    sounds. Not being able to work or do anything. In a sense, it is a fear
    of having an illness causing V* for an unknown length of time. What
    causes me to panic is if I feel n* but don't know from what or how long
    it will last.

I chose other too. I absolutely hate the feeling of Nausea...and the dred I feel when I do feel sick. And jus tthee thought that I might V* scares me. I hate the feeling of it and the loss of control. ICK! I also fear that it will never stop! The Taste, smell everything. I HATE IT ALL!!!!!!
    *Mandi*

I chose other...

Its the way you feel *before* and *after* v*. Once its done, its done.

Oh...I worry that if I get sick v* (stomach bug) Who will take care of my kids because I isolate myself so I dont spread it.

ifear the n* and anticipaction the most, because when you are actualling v* you it and its done, and usually you feel better after
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

I picked other because I really dont know. I think it would be before and after.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I picked other....I'm not entirely sure what I fear the MOST! In public, is huge....very high on the fear scale. The n* before is bad, especially teh anticipation of not knowing if v*ing is actually going to occur. The actual act isn't as bad as all that, and I actually feel better for about 10 mins after.

Good question though...makes us (emets) take a good look at what really makes us so fearful of IT!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

i chose other.. basically becase of all the reasons everyone else has
    said... the nausea is the worst.. not having control over when ur going
    to v* and the anticipation.. its my most feared feeling...
    stef - everything happens for a reason

I chose other because there was no all the above option. I dont really
    know what scares me the most, just everything about it is terrifying to
    me

Other.. It's anything and everything that has to do it with it. It's just as worse if a person is within your vicinity and doing it.. the thought makes me shudder violently.

I chose other since it is all of the above. N*,worrying if it will actually be V*, where I will be when it happens, no control, who will take care of my son, the awful feel, taste etc...and then, will it happen again???? All of these things run through my head and I freak out just thinking about it.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

I feel the act of vomiting and doing it in public and doing it while I am around people like in my own home. I don't like people around me, I dont know maybe the sound of one self puking. I need to be alone when I am anxious.
    I will have future comments about this because some things have come to my attention as to why this phobia began for me, I am very scared to find out but it will be a relief. When I know I will share it with everyone.

The thought of v* makes me shake....the thought of someone doing that in front of me makes me shake.....the wrost feeling is being stuck somewhere with no bathroom or they have a bathroom but it is occupied.....I always ask the famous questions what if? My whole life is absed around this phobia and I have been emetaphobic and not known it my whole life!

I put other because I thin it is the n* and the feeling before hand,
    that leads up to it. Also, the worrying and the anxiety all that
    crap.... But the act of doing it isnt that great either....
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I worry about a mixture of both the act of being sick, and the loss of control.

Because if I'm about to be sick, I'm going to be sick, nothing can change that. I don't like that.

I fear the nausea feeling and anticipation, as well as seeing others do it.

It's because of the link to my germ phobia. </font>

I chose other because it is the anxiety. I despise worrying and thinking about it all the time. For me, I think I am just as fearful of someone else doing it as I am fearful of doing it myself. I have a hard time with movies or tv with v* it it. I agree with the all of the above idea!

Basically the right before. that feeling. I also hate being around anyone vomitting. I caqn't take it. I just go into a serious dehabilitating panic. I do anything to avoid vommiting. I take pills, try the refocus my energy and fight the whole thing to the death

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I chose other. It is the anxiety/anticipation that I might v*
    that bothers me the most. This is the most horrible phobia I know
    - with I was just afraid of snakes.

I agree scottie! I have tried to explain to my husband that at least a fear of snakes, flying, dogs, anything like that, you could avoid. You don't go to Disney World and worry that you may come across a snake, however, there is always that kid that v* in the tea cups (sorry for the rant, bad disney expierence over spring break...and as an emet, i can't just let it go!)

Unfortunately I am equally fearful of anything that may have to do with it. Being around it, hearing the word, seeing it on TV all send me into a shaking crying frenzy. I am equally afraid of being sick and others being sick. Not a good way to live life.

--Kim

I chose other because like SEEING it after it comes out of me is a BIG reason I'm afraid of Vomiting. I dunno it's weird I don't really fear DOING it I fear having to see it after it comes out of me....does that make any sense?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I chose lack of control , cos I make myself feel sick through the fear of being sick, I am scared that if im sick with this nausea I have then I can be sick anytime and it would ruin my future life, I try to keep in charge of it but what if this phobia nausea turned into the end product, Id know then that im not safe.