Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi,

I have been suffering from OCD and emet for about 10 years now (although I was only diagnosed with OCD few years back). I had some CBT and I don't know if it was the therapist or what not but I didn't find it particularly helpful. He didn't seem to understand how much certain things really do affect me and that telling me to just "get over it" is not going to work. What does CBT entail normally? He ended one session by saying that by the end I will have to throw up with him there so see that it is not a big deal. That sent me ina total panic and I didn't go back. Is that what CBT is? If I try therapy again will they make me throw up? Please let me know thanks!!!

Kats

kats,

what you describe absolutely enrages me...it's the reason my previous therapist and I are writing a book about my own journey from extreme emetophobia to complete cure (CBT was the basic method used, by the way!) Before finding this wonderful therapist, I went through 10 who were complete idiots, just like the one you describe.(The one I have now is also a gem.)Perhaps "complete idiots" is too harsh...I'm just getting emotional now and losing my scholarly approach - lol!

The point is that unfortunately many therapists underestimate the severity of the symptoms of emetophobia, and obviously don't really listen to their clients.

The approach you describe is not helpful, nor is itdemonstrative of the entire approachof CBT. Believe me, throwing up in front of your therapist is not part of the treatment - that's just insane! (I never had to throw up at all as any part of the treatment program in order to be cured of the fear of it.) Why can't these dumb jerks understand that the goal of therapy is not to vomit - it's to be rid of the fear.

I just wrote an article for John, the owner of this website which is a "fact sheet for professionals". People can print it out and take it to their therapists or doctors. I am also researching and writing a book aimed at the very therapists you describe. (Watch for it - hopefully it will be up here in a day or two!)

So my point is don't give up - either on therapy or CBT. When you find another therapist, you will still want their basic method to be CBT, because that is what works. Check out the sticky post at the top of this thread entitled "How to find a professional" (or something like that). It should give you some idea of what to look for the next time. And check out my article when it comes up. If you need any further help, post again!Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi. I too have had CBT and this is really not going to impress you either. I also underwent EMDR and to be honest I am not even sure the therapist was kosher looking back. She tried to get me over my emet by also trying to throw up in front of me. She held this bowl in her lap and stuck her fingers down her throat several times, making gagging noises and she would not let me leave the room. I tried to leap out of the chair but she wasn't having it. On another occasion she also joked about the fact that the dog had v'd outside the therapy room and that it had not been cleared up and that I would have to leave the room with it still there. She was going to take me out of the room to have a look at it. She was practically forcing me to do this but I told her that I didn't want to and she said "how else do you think you are going to get out of the room". It turns out that the dog had v'd before I even got to my appt and it had all been cleared up. She was a total bitch to me. Completely manipulative in many other areas and she lied through her teeth about so much stuff. I really hate her to this day. She set me back years and I have been extremely weary of therapists ever since. Not surprising! Sorry to go on a bit but just made me think about the strange things that some therapists do and the fact that they are quite likely to be totally unethical.

Hi Kats,I've also had CBT and at the time i was just not ready for it.....I think there is a certian time that is right,don't ask me when it is as i still don't know that answer,but my therapist had only worked with one other person with the same phobia,he was a really nice guy and he never forced me to do anything that i was really scared to do,but if he knew that i could achieve things he would push me with gentle ease.We all need a good push at times especially when it comes to our phobia but there are alot of therapist that do not know how to handle the phobia and know the best approach.....But like sage says, u choose your therapist,don't just think because u have been given one that they will be right for u.....My therapist was Ok,it was just not the right time(too many other issues).....i hope u can try again,don't give up,the next one could be the one for u and if so,with both your efforts u could be on the way to getting better with your phobia.....Take care

vicky x

Thanks you guys for the explanations and the advice! I feel much better that this is not what CBT is because I have been told that it is the best cure for emet and OCD so I would like to give it another try. I am really looking forward to reading your book Sage! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I really just want to thank you all for understanding...I am so happy I have found this site!

I will try to find a therapist with whom I feel comfortable. I hope that this is achievable in the near future because I would really like to get over this and be able to lead a normal university life.

Thanks again!

Kats

clairbear, you poor, poor thing. What you describe is not just stupidity, nor unethical it is utter and complete abuse. The dumbass that did this to you is right up there with therapists who have sex with their patients, in my opinion. Total abuse. You're a victim, bud - but you survived, and you're ok. Good for you. Don't give up. Never give up as Winston Churchill said (along with "when you're going through hell...keep going)- no matter what the world dishes up, just never give up I say.

Therapy is NOT supposed to be like this. I have been to seminars and read books on Coginitive methods that proclaim this (that you have to be "tough" on your clients, and most therapists aren't tough enough, etc.) The Dr. Phil approach...all began with a dude named Ellis, I think who's still just a jackass with a Ph.D. as an excuse. Yell at your clients to shape up, and this supposedly works. Well trust me, it is NOT the intention of Aaron Beck, the father of cognitive therapy. My psychologist heard him speak here in Vancouver once and Beck EMPHASIZED that the method only works in a trusting, strong therapeutic alliance (meaning the relationship is PRIMARY). You can only ever so gently nudge a client to venture out a bit and risk some fear if she or he absolutely, totally feels safe in the therapy room. Your therapist has to be your most trusted "parent-like" caring, compassionate person who loves you and roots for you as a supportive "cheerleader" when you risk your fear. Even then it has to be gradual.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! These boobs make me SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, EVERYONE...be sure to INTERVIEW your therapists. Even if you had to wait 3 months for an appointment for a free one - it's better to wait 3 more months than to be re-traumatized by some complete idiot and made worse.

Clairbear, if you could sit through that and still are here to talk about it, there's immense hope for you, girl. You go! One day you'll find a great therapist who will lead you out of this hell and the whole time will hold your hand and cheer you on, and be there for you no matter what. You deserve it, and one day it will happen.

The same goes for a lot of others who can identify with this story!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi Sage

Thanks so much for those encouraging words. It is very hard to believe that I one day I might be rid of this phobia and like lots of others it is also a part of me and it will be kind of strange to leave it behind. I am really not sure what method of treatment to try really. I have thought about hypnotherapy but maybe CBT is the answer. I don't know. I just tend to find that I don't seem to get very far with Therapists. Nothing really gets sorted. I realise that it is me that has to do the work and maybe that is where I am going wrong. The therapist I mentioned did not only treat me for my emet she first of all started to treat me for other problems that were contributing to severe depression. She was a complete fraud. I remember one thing that she told me one day when I went to see her and basically she confessed to me that she had taken a shower that morning without realising that she was fully dressed. I was completely disturbed by this and it was then that I began to think that something was obviously very wrong here. I have seen a further therapist since then and he was really lovely actually, but we parted company because I felt that I had got all I could out of it really. I have been therapy-free now for overa year and sometimes I still sink down into deep depression. I think i always will. I am just that type of personality. I have been on meds for years and years which cause me side affects in many areas which is a shame but rather that than severe depression. Anyway, sorry, I am rambling a bit now and going off on a bit of a tanjent. I just wanted to say thanks for reading my post and I notice your encouragement for others many times as I read through the site on a daily basis. It is great to have you. If you can suggest the best type of therapy that I might try that would be good because to be honest a career path I would like to take is totally presently impossible with this phobia. I would not be able to do about 90% of the job. I cannot let this hold me back any longer from doing something that I really want to do. Thanks again. Claire

Hi Clare,

I think my little paper on "how to choose a professional" (or some such title) that's a sticky topic on this treatments thread says it all. It talks about the best kind of therapy, and the best kind of therapists. It's tough when you've got depression mixed in, however. Depressed kind of paralyzes you from doing the work necessary to get better. What you need to be cured is a sort of zealous enthusiasm for problem-solving. That's not usually present in abundance when you're depressed! I'd suggest getting some good treatment for depression, first. Meds should be helping. If they're not, maybe they need to be looked at again. CBT is the best therapy for depression, too, but you need for your therapist to be both sane AND not sort of wind down with you, as you described with the "lovely" one. Sometimes I think therapists assume that their clients "don't want to get better" because THEY can't think of anything else to do...so they pass this sort of subconscious message onto the client who kind of gives up.

Just keep trying, I always say!

my therapist sed that she only wanted me 2 get 2 a 'normal' stage and that normal ppl wudnt watch sum1 be sick so i shudnt have to make myself watch sum1 be ill...she sed she just wants me 2 deal with it if it happens in font of me and it not bother me 2 much...but its true normal ppl wud b bothered in the situation u have been put in so how r we meant 2 deal with it?

I think the thing is that normal people would be disgusted if they watched someone be sick on a video, but they wouldn't panic. That's the kind of "normal" we should be aiming for, and I'm not sure of what other way to get there than to use gradual exposure to it.