Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Was I exposed to something? Feeling nauseated and anxious

Hi guys,

I was on a four-hour train ride yesterday and there was a little kid who looked really unwell. He had a bad cough so I put it down to that, he was sitting two seats ahead of me (although I was sitting in the next door seat/opposite side of the aisle to begin with). His Dad also sat next to me and seemed to be going to the loo a lot- i thought he said something about feeling ill but chose to ignore it as ERP. ANYWAY

The little boy started a coughing fit and then seemed to vomit but I thought "It's probably just a terrible cough that's making him vomit" (this is after tons of CBT therapy and in-patient hospital treatment) and amazingly managed to stay in the same Coach, although I was worried because he kept groaning and wimpering and I didn't think that fitted with my 'bad cough' hypothesis!. Later (about an hour later) though he seemed to vomit without coughing and I hopped off the train and back onto another Coach.

I am now terrified because I feel sick today and I can't focus on my work. I did shower for aaaaaaaaaaages once I got in and am avoiding touching the things I had on the train but I'm worried I caught it.

Please help!

Default Re: Was I exposed to something? Feeling nauseated and anxious

Sounds like he had the flu. If he was coughing and feeling yuck that's most likely what it was. No matter what it was you weren't sitting with him cleaning up his v* so there's no way you caught anything. Sv*s aren't airborne, there's nothing for you to fear. You're 100% safe and healthy. Don't let your anxiety get the best of ya!

Thank you for your reply Syrup, it helped

I worry about droplets and also about what the child and his parents touched on the train (and spread viral particles to) that I might have touched e.g. the doors, the suitcase/luggage holder etc. Although I was wearing gloves most of the time and used anti-viral sanitizer so that's probably not a risk.

I have very severe obsessive compulsive disorder so am now unable to touch my suitcase and my handbag/purse because I'm worried they're 'contaminated', which is very annoying!

I know what you mean, I do the same. But logically, if 'droplets' were everywhere from people with a sv*, there would be HUGE outbreaks all of the time. In reality droplets are ONLY in the area and the direction that someone v*s. I honestly doubt that the child was contagious in the first place. Kids get weird stuff that makes them v* ALL OF THE TIME. Trust me, I have 2! It's RARELY a sv*. High fevers, mucous, you name it, it makes them v*. Given that this kid had other symptoms, I'll go ahead and say it WASN'T a sv*. It just wasn't. BUT, I understand your anxiety. So, as far as your luggage goes, Lysol it or put it into a closet if you feel the need for 2 weeks. Honestly though, there's nothing on it to make you sick. You decide what you want to do, but I am sure that there are no sv* particles waiting there. You're totally safe and are going to be just fine.

Thanks Syrup I think you're right, it was probably flu or something else. I'm still really scared of touching my suitcase but it has all my dirty laundry and my university/college books in it and I'm going back up to my University city on Monday morning so I have to open it and sort everything out

Hopefully it was nothing!

It WASN'T! and even if it was, you didn't catch ANYTHING!!!! (((HUGS)))