Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Guess what?

Ok so I am terrified of loud noises. Like I am bad with balloons, guns, thunder, the works. So what did I do?...

I got a gun! Lol! I know I must be insane, but well my husband and I were talking, and we figured it may be a good way to get over this. It isn't very loud gun-speaking, its a .22 rifle. Anyone ever shoot one of these? My husband has a .17 rifle, and I found that rather loud. He says this one isn't as bad as his noise wise, and also the bullets I have have about half as much gun powder in them than his gun uses.

So yeah wish me luck that I can fire the thing and have fun target shooting! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I have shot guns before. My mom and her best friend (who was a cop) decided that I needed to understand the full capacity of a gun. I was 13 years old.

I shot a .22 rifle, a .22 hangun, and a 357 Magnum (Smith and Wesson). Let me tell you the latter has ALOT of power (and noise) behinde it!!!

Have fun at target practice!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Wow! That actually sounds pretty cool. Good luck to you!
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Wow-that sounds really neat, Galadriel! I've always wanted to learn how to shoot a gun! Good luck!

Jess

I think that is cool that you got a gun. My husband likes to hunt, so we have several. I had never shot a gun til last year. The noise never really bothered me, but I was afraid of the kick back hurting me .......... know what I mean. I went deer hunting with my hubby a few weeks ago and actually shot at a deer, and got him, but not good enough, he got up and ran off!!!! However, I have a big ol bruise right there by my underarm for like a week!!!! He has a .22 pistiol that I can shoot too. Atleast I feel like I could protect myself and the children if I needed to.

Has your husband ever shot skeet before? My husband and his brothers, cousins, Dad, ect ...... like to do that. Its fun to watch them.

Gee, can you guys tell Im from the south, lol?!?!?!

Lol thanks for the replies! I wondered if y'all thought I was nuts! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I think it should be fun once I get over the noise.

jennyleigh, no my husband hasn't shot skeet before, he says he's not that good. Lol I had to ask him what skeet was! I'm from New York.

I understand about being afraid of the kick back! My husband's gun and my gun (wow I own a gun! lol!) doesn't have any kick back which is nice! I don't think .22 is that powerful correct?

What about ear plugs or earmuffs that you buy at home depot or at a speedway? That would lower the decible.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Quote Originally Posted by tayda
    What about ear plugs or earmuffs that you buy at home depot or at a speedway? That would lower the decible.

I'm already using them, actually I'm using earplugs and earmuffs together. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Can't be too careful! I think they just take the edge off of the sound. Edited by: Galadriel

I have to sayas someone from theUKthis sounds a very alien idea. Perhaps I am too sheltered but we have very differentgun laws over here!

Don't get me wrong .... the idea of facing fears is great, but wouldn't popping ballons or something do the same job without the risks?

Quote Originally Posted by shiningstar

I have to sayas someone from theUKthis sounds a very alien idea. Perhaps I am too sheltered but we have very differentgun laws over here!

Don't get me wrong .... the idea of facing fears is great, but wouldn't popping ballons or something do the same job without the risks?

Hmm, I have no clue what the hunting/gun laws are over there, but I know that here (I come from a rather rural area) many hunt, and have guns and such.

I wouldn't be hunting, I would just be target shooting for awhile anyways. I'm not too keen on the whole hunting thing at this point.

I decided to get a gun because I have always wanted to learn to shoot one, and I never could do that due to this fear. I am hoping to get over that. Also, with the correct handling of a gun it shouldn't be much of a risk at all. Another thing I thought about was that when you are popping balloons, you can't help but focus on the noise, but when say target shooting, your focused on hitting the target, and the noise doesn't seem as bad because you aren't focused on it (at least I would try to get to that point).

I would be interested to know what are your gun laws over there? Are you allowed to own guns over there? Am I correct in assuming that it is more restricted there?

You're not alone whoever is from the UK. There is NO WAY I'd have a gun and I find the concept of people just going and buying one very scary and alien. I'm not sure on guns rules except I know you need certain certificates or summat. I mean the police here don't have guns either so it's a really strange concept and I'd never ever be comfortable with a gun in my house. Maybe it's just because I've been brought up in the UK. That said, whatever helps you with your fear!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Here in the U.S. gun laws vary from state to state. I know that they are pretty strict here in mass, but no so much in NH. TEXAS is like a different country as far as guns go. People have them in their cars and wear them on them. You need certain licenses, but I hear that it is relatively easy to obtain one there.

You all over in the UK must not have the crime that we do here in the states. If our police didnt have guns, we wouldnt have any cops. There are some crazy people here in the states, sad to say ............. However, our former sheriff in the county where we live, Ive heard he rarely carried a gun ..........

You're exactly right, Leigh--there are some crazy people here and if the police officers did not carry guns, I would hate to see what would happened. A big thing around here now is "stun guns" or tasers. There is a lot of controversy on their use here. They have been using them to break up fights in some of the schools and a lot of people do not agree with that.

My hubby has several guns, but he doesn't hunt. Although I do not know how to shoot one, it makes me feel sooo much better to have one in the house, just in case!

I admire you ladies who can shoot a gun--you're making me want to learn how!

Jess

my boyfriend has a number of guns and i had never shot before, and he started me with the .22 magnum. i LOVE IT! no kick, not very loud, my ears are a little fuzzy after i shoot a few times but it goes away. i don't really have much experience but i'd say that this is a good gun to get started with. my next gun to shoot will be a 20 gauge slug gun...wonder what that will be like?

Quote Originally Posted by jesskali
    A big thing around here now is "stun guns" or tasers. There is a lot of controversy on their use here. They have been using them to break up fights in some of the schools and a lot of people do not agree with that.

Jess

A girl was killed last year, here in Boston, during the World Series due to the rioting. SHe did nothing but was caught in the line of fire. I forget what it was that hit her, but it was an alternative to guns, but it was shot from a gun (see the irony).. but they used tear gas and so forth w/ the riot squad.

Wohoo I shot it! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]It wasn't bad at all noise wise. Yay!

I can definately understand how the concept of owning a gun can seem really odd to those of you in the UK with the way the gun laws are there.

Here I'm sure a lot more people personally own guns and keep them in their houses. I guess its just the differences in the country's laws.

We do have (I believe its somewhere in our Constitution) the right to bear arms, basically for civil defense, so we have the right to have a gun (except of course for those who have committed felonies and the like).

Wow....... As another UK member here I find the thought of being able to go out and just buy a gun really weird!!!!

Over here it is illegal to own most sort of guns... You may own a shotgun if you have a license, but it must be kept in a sterdy box that is bolted to the floor, or something like that!!!! I think it is ok to own an air rifle! Unfortunately we do have quite a few gun-related crimes over here but I think that is due to them changing hands on the black market!!!!

Glad you are able to overcome your fears though.... It's interesting to hear about other Countries laws and stuff too!

Also, there are many guns that imprint a serial number on the bullet that is fired. And people who purchase guns are given a tight background check and such. It's not SUPER easy to obtain a gun (at least not in mass... legally). And the guns must be registered to the person who buys them. I think it's good in helping to solve gun related crime b/c it's a good means of beginning a gun-related investigation. THough I know that not all guns here are obtained and used here legally.

I have shot a .22 calibur rifle and a double barrell shotgun at a gun range with my boyfriend. He is licenced to carry them, but he doesn't. He took me through all the safety procedures first, and askd me what gun I wanted to shoot off first. I went for the shotty. I was really nervous, don't get me wrong, as the recoil from a shotgun can be harsh. I used earplugs, and placed the butt of the shotty right in the crook of my armpit to help shield the recoil. Someone threw a plastic disk into the air, and yelled 'Firing!' and shot at the disk. I just clipped the side of the disk! And that was my very first shot! I had Ian stand behind me (for comfort and safety). I shot off a total of four rounds! Shottys are loud andpowerful, and my shoulder was very sore the next day.

After, I tried the .22 rifle, and it was a lot easier than the shotty. There was almost no recoil from firing. I actually got down on my stomach and tried to shoot like a sniper! I shot at popcans, but only got three out of 7. It was fun, and felt great, but only after the safety lessons.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>