Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I think I ate bad meat :( Please send advise!

Hey everyone!

Tonight I bought some organic farm pork loin from the store and did not look at the date. When I opened it I thought it smelled a little weird, like slightly. I asked my bf to smell it and he said it smelled fine. I decided to trust it was in my head to be nervous and it was fine. I cooked it and ate it (I only ate a few pieces, but I'm sure that is still a lot if it was bad) and of course afterword, I started to think more. I looked at the date on the package and there was no sell by date, just that it was packed on Nov 3. I was thinking that wasn't long ago, but then I looked at the date and it is the 8th...6 days later. I looked online and it says to only keep raw pork for a couple days or 2-4. This pork was packaged in plastic so I don't know if this had an extended life, but I am really freaking out. I can't believe there is no sell by date and that I was that reckless. I already spent all of last night freaking out because I wasn't feeling well and I was afraid of v* I drank some apple cider vinegar and garlic in water and I am drinking peppermint tea in hopes that that will kill the bacteria. : ( Does anyone else have any other advise or has anyone else consumed questionable meat and been okay? Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: I think I ate bad meat :( Please send advise!

I just did a quick Google check and I think you were looking at the pre-cooked time when it said 2-4 days. The USDA says cooked pork loin is good for 7 days in the fridge. And pork products are heartier than chicken and beef, because of the salt/brine process that they go through in the slaughter house to cure it, that helps it resist bacteria growth longer than poultry or beef products. My hubby grew up on a farm and his grandaddy pretty much had everything on his farm you could think of and they would keep the pork products out on the table for days and nobody got sick. I think you are going to be just fine and your anxiety over it is what is making you feel potentially yucky. HTH!

Default Re: I think I ate bad meat :( Please send advise!

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas629 View Post
    I just did a quick Google check and I think you were looking at the pre-cooked time when it said 2-4 days. The USDA says cooked pork loin is good for 7 days in the fridge. And pork products are heartier than chicken and beef, because of the salt/brine process that they go through in the slaughter house to cure it, that helps it resist bacteria growth longer than poultry or beef products. My hubby grew up on a farm and his grandaddy pretty much had everything on his farm you could think of and they would keep the pork products out on the table for days and nobody got sick. I think you are going to be just fine and your anxiety over it is what is making you feel potentially yucky. HTH!

Thank you for replying!! It was actually raw . I have woken today and I am not sick as of yet so hopefully I will be okay. I did stay up till almost 4 am thinking if it was going to be bad it would most likely happen within 6 hours of consuming. I know a lot of bacteria can take days to come into effect though. I keep thinking I'm feeling n* but I haven't eaten anything yet today and it could be just the thought of it.