Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default nearby outbreaks

Ugh it's that time of the year again. Near by my house there is an outbreak that sickened close to 50 people...scary. I know of several people that have been ill, and while I haven't come into contact with them I'm worried it will spread near me. That's honestly the biggest worry I have right now.

Default Re: nearby outbreaks

Spreading near me as well, the first thing I heard when I walked in to the classroom today is "it's going round" which made me anxious because I assumed they were talking about a SV* but I just think "as long as they don't V* near me then I am fine" because thankfully the only advantage emet does for you is make you extra careful lowering the chances of catching something. Which itself is also a disadvantage because nobody wants to spend all day worrying about it but at least you are less likely to catch something.

I know exactly how you feel, that phrase 'there's something going around' completely freaks me out

When i hear that I always ask what sort of something is going round? If it's a cold I breathe a huge sigh of relief. What we must remember is that people take advantage of illnesses that go around, one of my dads staff was out sick last week with an 'upset stomach' my sister went to mcdonalds with her friends and the 'sick' worker was in there with his family eating. Saying you have a sv is a great excuse for a couple of days off from school or work, I think maybe half of people calling in sick with the sv don't actually have it.

I agree! The phrase "there's something going around" makes my heart skip a beat. In a bad way.

I heard that on the train the other day "There's a bug going around"... flipped out!!

i ALWAYS freak out too when I hear that, and I work in a school so it is often said! sometimes I feel like a hermit, because once I know it is "going around" I never want to go out anywhere or be near anyone. I feel like I am teetering on the edge of agoraphobia.. :/

I think it's going around here as well. Lots of people on my FB are very ill. Spoke with a woman in church yesterday and asked how her mother (who's in a nursing home) was doing. She said, "not feeling well, I'm afraid. There's a sv* going around the home again." Another one of my friends, her poor little girl ended up in the ER with dehydration. She was diagnosed with "a serious sv*" and sent home with some anti-n* meds. Apparently it is going around her preschool.

There is always something "going around". One person gets sick from eating too many cupcakes, then someone will say something is "going around".

Stop, look at the situation logically. Have you come in contact with a sick person's puke or poop? Does this person have confirmed noro? If not then you are prob no exposed and there is no logical reason to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I always feel my heart race when I hear something is "going around" or I read a story about an outbreak.

I try to rationalize it by thinking that I live in a city of 2.7 million, so there's always going to be SOMETHING that is making someone sick.