Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, today i was thinking, after all the triumphs i made, really, to get rid of emet. it's all up to you, not anybody else, no counsellors, not anybody, but you!

You probably already knew that, but let me make my point...

All you have to say to yourself, is.... 'I don't want to be an emet. today, or any other day, and i can, and i will get rid of this phobia'

thats what i said to myself this morning, and it worked! but this may not apply to everyone, because.... it's me who doesn't like being sick, but other have th ephobia of other people being sick,

i only dont like being sick, incase no-one arounds me likes it.... does that makes sense??

the less you try avoid being sick, the less worried and nervous you will become, and thats helps!

I'm not very good at explining things, so i'm sorry if this doesnt make any sense! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

But, we can and we will stop this phobia, no matter what it takes, and we don't need any help, we can do it our selves [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I think I can see what you are saying. I have had days like that where I could verbally convince myself that it wasn't going to bother me anymore. It has worked on my good days.

I was able to take a trip with a friend to Vancouver and I was ok. All I did was told myself I was going to be ok and I kept myself busy yacking to her. I though yay. My son was sick and I didn't freak. Yay.

I haven't been able to afford a therapist and all I was able to by was an aniety book. I didnt find this sight till a few months ago. In fact I was soooo fed up with being like I was I went to a phobia sight and plugged in v**** and FOUND IT!!! Then I put Emetophobia into the search and found this sight. YAY.

My bad days though still come back and I can't talk myself out of it. All my progression has been on my own but that is just me. Ihavehad this all my life and I am 25. I think that talking about it may help people especially the younger ones get over it sooner.

I have been on meds for 3 years for my agoraphobia and I am not sure if it hashelped with the emetophobia or not but things are looking up. Of course I dont have the stressI use to have either. Guess that brings us back to thee topic of the emet being worse when there is stress.

Anyways I DO agree ina way that it can be done in some cases it can be done by ones self.</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Yeh, i onyl found this site a few months back, and it has actually really helped me!

All you need to do is talk about it to someone, cos a problem shared, is a problem halved

That kind of positive self-talk is an important factor!

Don't forget that some folks really do need help, though...when their symptoms are too severe to "talk themselves out of it". We wouldn't want them to feel like "failures" on top of everything else, is why I mention it. (Like there was no way in hell any amount of self-talk would have ultimately cured me once and for all...I really needed the professional help and I think so do many others)But it's true that that kind of approach is integral to the treatment anyway. And even if you are seeing a therapist, you're quite right - it is YOU that's doing the work!

Thanks, though, Louise - good to hear you're doing well and trying to inspire others.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've jsut re-read what i wrote, and it makes no sense what-so ever! lol [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

i obviously knwo that some people can't talk themselves out of it! as many people have a different kind of emet. (e.g. some people dont liek other being sick, some dont liek beign sick of embarressment etc.)

So, if you don't like others being sick, the best thing possable is exposure therapy, it helped me a bit, and now i don't mind others being sick, as lone as i know i can't cantch any germs! Now, this one is a bit selfish when you think about it, how do you think the person beign sick feels? it cant be easy for them...

If you don't like being sick, say.. because of embarressment, well who cares what others think, if your sick, you're sick! others should care about you, not laugh at you! This just shows how much you care about other, which is fine... but you should care about yourself more [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Ok, i've probably sed somethign totally wrong now [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]