Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Need a little help, guys.

First of all, WOW.... I haven't been on this forum over a year! Most of you old members probably don't even remember me, lol. But I'd feel great if some of you did.

Anyway, back on topic...........

For the first time in over a decade, I am going to go out with friends and have fun tomorrow. Anyway, I am seeing a girl that is possibly a potential girlfriend as we get along really well and such. BUT.... while I am VERY happy that I could have my first relationship, I am scared. Being this time of year, you all know that the dreaded SV does its rounds.. I am scared to death that I may contact it since I am changing my life-style and such. I believe the only reason why I didn't catch it all these years is because I have been house-bound and only went out for walks by myself or did a bit of shopping.

My question is: have you outgoing and social emets been out with friends and enjoying yourself most of the time and not caught the horrid SV? Or even had friends that have got it?

I want to tell my potential girlfriend that I have emetophobia, but I am afraid she won't understand or worst, leave me. I feel like a bad person because I should be enjoying my life and not worrying about something that can't kill you and - in most cases - make you feel better once you've done 'it'. Ughhhh, this damn phobia really does my nut in... I said it before, I will not allow this phobia to beat me and get in the way of things I want to do but... it's so easier said than done... :/ I am actually anxious right now and starting to feel a bit 'icky' but it doesn't bother me much 'cause I know it's just anxiety.

Reassurance and/or positive replies will be very much appreciated. I know, I know.. you can't promise me that I won't catch anything, I know. But, it just helps me calm down if I know there are emets on here that go out and enjoy themselves and don't come in contact with the SV often.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Default Re: Need a little help, guys.

You can only catch a stomach virus by ingesting particles- by touching a surface that someone ill has touched and then putting your finger in your mouth or eating with unwashed hands. It's not floating around in the air waiting to get you.
    Handwashing is your best defense against the stomach virus and I promise it's effective. That's what doctors do and personal experience has proven to me that it's enough, but it's important to note that hand sanitizer is not effective against sv* 's. They can live in stomach acid so they are tough little things.
    As far as going out in public, parties, shopping etc - all you need is a 20 second hand wash when you get home or before you eat. I try to be conscious of what I touch in public, like highly used objects or surfaces- I use my sleeve or body to open door, my knuckle for elevator buttons. I don't mindlessly put my fingers on my lips or mouth. Nothing extreme, just basic common sense.

first of all, welcome back! I've been around for years and I definitely remember you. I think it's great that you're getting back out there and socializing. It's very easy to get stuck in your house and get into a cycle of agoraphobia. If this girl is really going to turn into a relationship, then she should be understanding about all of your quirks. Not just emetophobia.

also, the likelihood of you picking up a bug on your first really big venture out is slim to none. If you just follow basic hygiene like handwashing and safe eating etc. you should be fine. Go out and enjoy yourself. I think your fear is more about the nerves about this girl than anything else. And please keep us posted. I'm excited to hear how it goes :-)

I don't remember when was the last time I had an sv (probably when I was very little) and the last time I v was 10 years ago (car sickness). I go out and you can see that I didn't catch anything these years. And I also have friends who had an sv. Well, I have never had a boyfriend, but I know I would be worried about kissing, although we have to say to ourselves that we are able to do normal things like other people (yes, easier said than done!) Be brave and go on!
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."