Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: tonsillectomy

Default tonsillectomy

Hello everyone.

I'm getting my tonsils removed on Thursday, i haven't had a surgery since i was about 5 years old and I'm very nervous.
    I'm not so much as nervous about the surgery as i am about throwing up afterwords. I haven't vomited in over 15 years and i would really like to not do so again, My emet isn't as bad as it was a few years ago but i still get scared whenever I'm in a situation i might get sick in, especially since i will have a sore throat too.

Just need some reassurance or someone to tell me their experience with a tonsillectomy if you have had one.

Default Re: tonsillectomy

The best advice I can give you is to be honest with the nurses and doctors, and tell them your fears, and also ask them to give you an anti-emetic in your IV from the start...that should ensure you won't get sick afterwards. Also, they probably don't want you to after a tonsillectomy. And anesthesia has come a long way too, it's much better! Best of luck and you will do fine...take it slow after too, meaning with eating, etc. Keep us posted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andee View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to be honest with the nurses and doctors, and tell them your fears, and also ask them to give you an anti-emetic in your IV from the start...that should ensure you won't get sick afterwards. Also, they probably don't want you to after a tonsillectomy. And anesthesia has come a long way too, it's much better! Best of luck and you will do fine...take it slow after too, meaning with eating, etc. Keep us posted!!!
    Thank you so much for telling me this, i told the doctor exactly what you said and told them about my fear of being sick.

I never felt nauseous or feeling like getting sick, currently laying and eating some jello and recovering pretty good!

Thank you again.

Yay! So happy for you! Glad it went so well....

just keep jello, popsicles and milkshakes going and you should be fine. in a few days the scabs heal and that can get pretty damn itchy, but DONT cough too hard. just do a light "ehhhh" to help the feeling. otherwise its a pretty easy recovery. about a week laying down, from what I remember

I got mine out this May! I know bow you feel! I was 30 and been 14 years since I got sick. They really don't want people to get sick after that surgery. Just keep hydrating! Stick with Popsicles and jello before milk stuff (ice cream or shakes) due to phlegm that will cause you to cough. Good luck on the healing!!

Hooray! Congratulations to both Mischu and JellyBn for your puke-free tonsillectomies!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.