Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

On Sunday night I was watching "King of the Hill" and at the beginning they were all sick and V*.

Then a couple hours later, I was watching a rerun of Larry King with
    Robert Shapiro talking about the drug overdose of his son and he said
    his wife was supposed to be there for the interview but she was too
    sick and "They had to pull over the car twice on the way there..." I
    think we all know what that means.

Then a couple hours after that, I was watching an old epidode of
    "What's Happenin!" on TV Land and one of the characters had food
    poisoning. (It later turned out to be something else though)

So 3 shows, on 3 different channels, all in one night. Too bad there is no V-chip to block out references to V*!!!

lol... yeah... but at least now w/ comcast cable, we can get a description about what that particular show is about on whatever night.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

First of all, tayda, I love the friendship is like pee in your pants thing...I have not laughed so hard in a long time!!!

I know what you mean about TV. I quit watching it. It seems like everytime I turn on the TV there is some show or movie with sick people. I can't watch it...even the cartoon south park v*. I am glad to know I am not the only one because my husband teases me so much that I can't even look at animated people v*.

I'm right there with you guys! I HATE what tv has become!! What the HECK is it with NEEDING to show ppl V*ing all the time??? For crying out loud, we KNOW this is a normal bodily function, but we DON'T have to be reminded of that!!! Like you said..you can't even watch a friggin CARTOON anymore without seeing it...and yes, THAT effects me too!! WHAT THE HELL!!! LOL!!! Sorry!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I saw that King Of The Hill you were talking about. Has anyone seen that Family Guy where they all drink Ipecac and the last one to V* gets to have the last piece of pie in the fridge? They all V* for like 3 minutes! That was the worst! I don't really have a problem with people V*ing on TV though. I watch ER and they have some very graphic scenes with people V*ing...it used to bother me but I've seen it happen so much I've gotten used to it.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Quote Originally Posted by smaupi

First of all, tayda, I love the friendship is like pee in your pants thing...I have not laughed so hard in a long time!!!

lol, thanks, it's quite true as well.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Quote Originally Posted by samara's on tv

I saw that King Of The Hill you were talking about. Has anyone seen that Family Guy where they all drink Ipecac and the last one to V* gets to have the last piece of pie in the fridge? They all V* for like 3 minutes! That was the worst! I don't really have a problem with people V*ing on TV though. I watch ER and they have some very graphic scenes with people V*ing...it used to bother me but I've seen it happen so much I've gotten used to it.

~Monica

Yeah I saw that. It made my stomach turn. But I kept watching, and I noted my reactions to the program. I am still sensitive to seeing v* on tv, but it doesnt really bother me as much as before.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

That is one thing I will Never understand about TV. Why on earth would they think people would want to see someone V*? I absolutely love Reality Shows...like amazing race and Survivor. I swear in almost every episode though someone is getting sick! I have great V* radar! I just know when someone is going to be sick! I dont evenknow if I want to watch Survivor this week b.c in the previews it says someone V* in the shelter!

Its just about in everyshow I watch. I cant even relax to watch tv anymore. Its ridiculous! It was just in an episode on Seinfeld the other day too! They didnt show anyone V* but you could hear the noises. Ugh I hate it.
    *Mandi*

Mandi (or anyone), if you watch Amazing Race, I know the Bransen Family! I work with the mom!!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

You know what show I think is just DISGUSTING?! Fear Factor! Now why on Earth would people stick that stuff in their mouths?! I watched it once or twice, the stunts are ok (usually), but the stuff they hafta eat or stick in their mouths?! Forget about it.

Maybe it's because i love this show, but if you ever watch King of Queens, and see Doug have the dry heaves, it's hilarious!! I have no idea why that doesn't bother me, maybe cuz Kevin James cracks me up in general, i dunno lol!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Omg, I watched that King of the Hill on Sunday and reverted back to my old self, where... this is embarrassing, but it's part of my obsession disorder... I would somehow have this thought that since I was there watching that show at that time, that it was a sign that it was going to happen to me, like a premonition. That was the topic of my therapy session yesterday. I hate v on tv. Real World, Survivor..... I have to be poised on the remote control ready to change the channel.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

They do it on purpose Im sure, its ridiculous.... n its a shame cuz I love hospital shows like Casualty n House, Dont watch them half the time, (or end up turning over half way thro!) cuz they often cant get thro an episode without doing it once. Well.. House isnt so bad.. I suppose its more err... surgical than A&amp;E stuffs on that programme tho.. Ohhh n Scrubs, scrubs is awesome, I dont think Ive ever seen anything nasty on that show...

But yea, regular tv too, I mean what the f*? n when loads of programmes do it in the same night I start to get paranoid. Curiously enough they almost never seem to show anyone getting the s***s, or.. really bad colds.. or any number of other random bug-lets that dont involve anything so nasty. Theyre prejudiced. Prejudiced I tell you!! /rant.

They do it because most people can find humour in it.

It's silly to condemn something jus because YOU have a neurotic problem
    with it...how can you criticize TV for showing this when nobody else
    has a problem with it? Wouldn't it be better to complain about the
    violence and other bulls*** than cartoon puke?

Emetophobia is YOUR problem, not anyone elses. If you can't find humor
    in something you fear, you really have your work cut out for you.
    Blaming TV and the "what has this world come to" nonsense doesn't fix
    anything; it just enables the phobia even more.

You might judge people who can laugh at that to be "sick", but most
    normal people can laugh at it. They aren't the ones who are "sick" just
    because a neurotic disorder makes you fear something irrationally.

To put it in perspective, take someone who fears butterflies as much as
    some of us fear throwing up. Wouldn't it sound really stupid if they
    complained that there were too many butterflies on tv, and that it was
    sick that they were doing that, and that anyone who liked butterflies
    was sick? Might sound silly, but it's no different than this subject,
    which comes up about once a week.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

Umm, I have overheard this same conversation with people do not have this phobia. I would guess that the general public does not want to see anyone v* either.

We come here for support, not to be judged and called neurotic. We know we have issues, and that is why we come here. To hear from others who have the same problems, it makes us feel a little less wierd. It really hurts to be called names by one of our own.

Just my 2 cents.

--Kim

And yes, the TV thing is killing me. Blech.

Yeah really what's up with that post? Don't be coming on here telling people they are nuerotic! That's not very nice!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

And if this were a forum for people who feared butterflies then it would be appropriate to talk about how much it upset us to see them on TV..

That post is par for him....try andignore it. He's very rude in general.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hmm, I've never seen him post before. Seems kind of pointless to join a group like this and then "slight" people for discussing.

He's been here a long time... even back when we had the old site (we switched to this format early in 2004). Like I said, ignore.....

Sorry the thread got hijacked. V on TV programs is rude and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by skon
    They do it because most people can find humour in it.

It's silly to condemn something jus because YOU have a neurotic problem with it...how can you criticize TV for showing this when nobody else has a problem with it? Wouldn't it be better to complain about the violence and other bulls*** than cartoon puke?

Emetophobia is YOUR problem, not anyone elses. If you can't find humor in something you fear, you really have your work cut out for you. Blaming TV and the "what has this world come to" nonsense doesn't fix anything; it just enables the phobia even more.

You might judge people who can laugh at that to be "sick", but most normal people can laugh at it. They aren't the ones who are "sick" just because a neurotic disorder makes you fear something irrationally.

To put it in perspective, take someone who fears butterflies as much as some of us fear throwing up. Wouldn't it sound really stupid if they complained that there were too many butterflies on tv, and that it was sick that they were doing that, and that anyone who liked butterflies was sick? Might sound silly, but it's no different than this subject, which comes up about once a week.

Who are you to judge people you don't even know? It is intolerant and ignorant comments like this that have caused me to suffer in silence for 26 years. And yes, by the way, I do have my work cut out for me in my recovery, but you have a lot farther to go in terms of learning tact and respect for others!

happyteacher

I have to say I totally disagree with you, skon. You ask your average non-emetophobe about vomit and they will pull a face, saying well nobody actually likes it do they? I suppose there are some people out there that may find it amusing, probably the same people that would find seeing somebody's ass squitting out diarrhoea amusing. There really is no need for these graphic vomit scenes films and tv programmes insist on including these days. If a vomit scene is an integral part of the plot (it very often isn't) such as showing somebody withdrawing cold turkey from drugs, why not just suggest it as they use to on tv - why do we have to have it thrust at us in full technicolour glory close-up?

And the butterfly arguementIS silly. There may be people who have phobias about them who find them repulsive, but everybody else would describe them as beautiful and to be admired. Who in their right mind, even if vomit didn't bother them in the slightest, could ever describe vomit to bea beautiful thing, something to be admired?

Tracey
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

You guys are going to hate me but I agree w/ skon. Maybe he wasn't as sensative as he could have been but it is true. Most people don't like spiders, some are just as phobic as we are and would probably not want them on their television either, unfortunately vomit and spiders are good for entertainment. Kids especially seem to enjoy both types of humor. Thats not to say we have to like it or watch it or encourage it but it really isn't to non emets what it is to us. I agree it's gross and I agree there's too much of it on TV but there is also way too much violence, smoking, cursing etc etc. Sorry if I offended anyone. Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Even looking at it from a non-emet perspective, the amount of v* shown on TV has skyrocketed over the last few years. I find it very sad that the broadcast networks think that the average American is so dumb that v* is the only thing we would find humorous.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

The part that gets me is that it has to be so gratuitous. Like someone already mentioned, if it were part of the story, like a story on cancer or drug withdrawl, ok, fine. But when it's totally random, or following someone into the bathroom on the Real World because they're hungover... no, not necessary. You're right that it's gotten huge lately. It makes me uncomfortable. If you think that kind of stuff is funny, then watch Jackass or Ren &amp; Stimpy. My mom isn't an emet, and she finds it gross, same with my husband. It's not a matter of "finding humor in it". It's simply gross.

I agree with 2jo. Imsorry...but I dont know a single person who finds watching someone V* on tv is humorous. Just about everyone I know thinks its gross that they show it on tv. A show about cancer or something I can understand. But some meaning-less crap where people get drunk and V* which is most of the time on any show, is just stupid. But I have to disagree with skons remark about

"Most Normal People Find IT humorous" Not one person I know enjoys watching someone else V*. What is so humorous about it? Is it humorous b.c. some idiot spent the entire night drinking themselves to a drunken stupor? Its humorous b.c. someone is sick? I dont find that humrous at all. Sorry.
    *Mandi*

This is funny. I read the posts and then almost responded EXACTLY like Simplyme did, because I agreed with Skon but then chickened out! The weirdest part is, Simply and I are good friends now (I even went to FL from Chicago to meet her!), and she called me to tell me about her post and I was like...oh my gosh, I almost wrote the same thing but chickened out! So, I am writing to say that I agree with Skon and Simplyme. I didn't like his choice of words (neurotic), but I also think most people find it funny on TV and that's what they show it. I'd rather they have that than all the violence on TV these days....

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I'm not letting this dissolve into fights as long as it is kept respectful and maybe Skon could have been a little more sensitive. The people who find V* funny are the same ones usually as those who find fart/poop jokes funny. I for one don't find any toilet humour funny but then I'm not a 12 year old boy now am I? I watch ER and have done for...well as long as I can remember and it really doesn't bother me. Ironically the amount of people V* in that show seems to have gone down. But I hate shows like Fear factor.BB etc etc because they are crap mostlybut also because if someone V*'s they are always like "TUNE IN NOW&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;JO CAN'T HANDLE EATING A TESTICLE HAHAAHA" and it's just pathetic and boring.

Sometimes a show like when I saw Charlie on Lost this week (UK) being ill it triggered me, but I don't blame the show as it is my problem so I take no issue with it/ER/etc.

But to me shows like FF saying "tune in while so and so V*s" is like saying "Tune in while so and so sh*ts his pants" and I wouldn't find that funny either! And most people I know don't find it funny, it doesn't trigger them like it may do me but I've never heard anyone i know say "Oh it was sooo funny when he puked on his shoes" or anything.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.