Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Stomach troubles after waking up really early

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, I seem to go through phases where the madness doesn't bother me as much. Lately, it's been bothering me a bit.

Yesterday, I had to take my parents to the airport for a 6:30am flight, so I got up around 4 so they could be at the airport on time for the flight. Getting up early does tend to throw off my system and I just generally don't feel great when waking up that early. Yesterday was no exception. I didn't eat because it was too early and if I eat that early my stomach gets pretty unhappy. But on the way to the airport, my stomach felt pretty weird. I'm having a really hard time describing how it feels, too. Sometimes it feels like I'm being stabbed, sometimes it feels like it's consuming itself...I guess you'd call it cramping, but not typical cramps.

Anyways, yesterday my stomach would feel this way, off and on, all day. No v*ing or d*. Today, my stomach is still doing the same thing. Not to get too graphic, but I did have a bowel movement and it wasn't normal...it was somewhat of a mix between normal and d*. Gross, I know, but that's all the detail I will go into.

I don't know what to think of all this...I want to keep myself calm because I think if this was noro or some other SV, I'd have been v*ing already. Could my waking up too early yesterday have caused my stomach to get weird?

I did notice that the pain started more at the top of my stomach, but with this recent bm, it's moved lower in my stomach...I think. I have a hard time understanding where exactly the issues are...

Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have! Thanks!

Default Re: Stomach troubles after waking up really early

oh I get this all the time. its amazing how a messed up sleep cycle can really screw with your stomach. I started a new job last month and have to get up earlier than ever and my stomach is literally filled with acid when I wake up to the point where I basically can't eat. I sip water and eat a handful of chex and go...then at 10 I am hungry. it is annoying as all hell.

point is, this happens. you won't v but you may feel off for the day until you get a normal nights sleep. not sick, just your body isn't happy.

That's kind of what I was thinking...it's just disconcerting when it feels like you're getting stabbed in the gut! I'm sorry you experience a similar thing! It's weird though, I've been feeling this way for two days now, I had a great night of sleep last night. Maybe tomorrow it will go away..

I agree, if I wake up too early or don't get enough sleep my stomach is also off. Try to get some good sleep and you should feel better.

Honestly, I get sharp, stabbing pains in my stomach or side sometimes, and I never realized until recently that it's caused by trapped gas! The fact that you describe a stabbing pain similar to a cramp makes me think you must actually have gas pain too. I found an article online (which I can no longer find), which describes an exercise you can do to relieve the pain, and it really works! You just lay on your back with your butt on a few pillows, so that your lower abdomen is elevated. This will help the gas float towards your rectum and out. Then you very slowly roll onto one side, then very slowly roll onto your other side, then go back again, back and forth very slowly. This will coax the gas to travel through the winding of your intestines and find its way out. (Remember that gas floats up, so when you are on your right side, the gas will float to the left side, and when you roll over to your left, the gas will float up to the right side. This helps guide the gas out). You can also use the palm of your hand and slowly slide it across and down your belly, to help stimulate peristalsis and get the gas out. After doing these exercises for about 10 minutes, the cramping is gone. I highly, highly recommend these exercises for stabbing belly pain.