Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Don't worry--I'm not talking about the Big V. But I have a problem. I've been putting it off and putting it off, and now I can't anymore. I have to get my wisdom teeth out! Ahh!

The top two have come through and are fairly straight, but the bottom ones haven't at all. The top right one is literally starting to dig into my back cheek/gum area. It hurts and I can't chew comfortably anymore. This is it- I have to do it. I wanted to wait till the bottom ones came in so I wouldn't have to get general anesthesia, and the dentist could just yank them. But it's getting to the point where it's hard to open my mouth and chew. So I have no choice--general anesthesia it is! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]I have to make an appt. with an oral surgeon.

Now, I know we've talked about this before and I remember a lot of you went through the procedure and never v* from it. So, can you describe (in detail) about what it was like, how it felt to be under, what it felt like the moment you woke up, etc. I want to know everything! Please. I'm so scared and just hearing about what it will be like will be a comfort.

I'll update you and let you know when the surgery is. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It didn't feel like anything to be under. The doctor
    stuck the IV in my arm, and said "Ok, count backwards from 100." I
    don't remember getting past 99.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up, and I did not feel nauseous, I
    promise. Just very, very groggy- so much so that I had to be helped to
    the car. Just be sure not to eat anything 12 hours beforehand- that's
    what I was told.

You are going to be fine. I was scared too, and of course wondering if
    I was going to throw up, but it was very easy. The only bad part of it
    all is having a sore and bleeding mouth afterwards, and that doesn't
    last long at all. Good luck!

</font>

Hello....Ahh, pulling teeth, my favorite. Ok, heres what to do....no. 1, dont get all worked up bout it. When ya go in there, tell them to give you a very weak dose of Nitrious. It will help you relax. Explain to them you have stomach problems (be sure to eat a sandwich or something like 1 hr or so before. Always schedual for an afternoon appt too), and to monitor you , you will tell them when to increase it if needed. If I knew a good mix, I would tell ya, but I dont. Anyhow, when your legs start to feel a little tingly, STOP, stay there and dont increase any more. You may feel funny, your hands may feel like they are bigger than you, but thats normal. Let yourself relax. (Then be sure to tell them, after they take you off Nitrious, to flush it out with oxygen. If not, that could have an effect on ya. I didnt do that once, and when i left, I pulled out infront of a car, almost got hit). Ok, , then have them shoot ya with novicane, and let them do their thing. You may want to request a 'mouth-prop" so you can relax your jaw muscles. Try to stay away from sulfur antibiotics, if I can I will try to give you the name of what worked for me. For pain, request 7.5 Loritab. Be sure to take all meds. with food, or they will make you sick! I was also told if the pain meds want strong enough (and the first 6 hrs, they may not be) you should be able to supplement with an Advil or something, but ask about this beforehand. You shouldnt have any problems. I didnt when I had mine done, and had one regular tooth pulled just last week. My problem is, when the wisdom teeth was pulled, 4 hrs later I was eating a hamburger, and chewing tobacco.....you may not want to do that, i was told its not good! Hope this helps ya!!
    Now where\'s that crazy sheep at? Here sheeeepy sheeepy!

Hey Heather!!

I had all mine out last year and I can tell you, it WONT make you sick. I was knocked out too, and yeah your kinda groggy afterwards, and hungry too, but your chances of getting sick are like 1 in a million, thats for people who are affected by EVERYTHING, and since we're emets, well we tend to not get sick easily. Its going to be ok, I can just about promise you wont be sick. Think of how many on here have gone through that and didnt get sick. I know its hard, but try and not work yourself up. After the IV is in, you pretty much dont know anything until you wake up and are groggy, but you wont be sick.

Btw....if your getting anesthesia, you cannot have food anyway for like 12 hours or so before anyways.

Hey Heather, I just had one wisdom tooth and a bad tooth taken out about a month and a half ago and was EXACTLY like you, scared sh**less. I'm telling youthe WORSE part is not knowing what to expect. I had IV sedation (is that the same thing?!) anyhow I wasn't allowed to eat past midnight the night before (comforting) and I had an early appt so i could wake up and go and not think about it. I got there and he tried tot alk me into doing all my wisdom teeth but I was only mentally ready for the 2 teeth and said no (looking back I should have said yes lol) anyhow they put the thing on my finger to monitor my heart rate, I got up to a whopping 122 BPM, I was shaking I was so scared and on the verge of tears! Then they hooked up the IV w/ the saline in it and I kept my head turned the entire time. I have no idea when he added the anesthesia all I remember is talking about something (can't remember now lol) and next thing I knew I was sitting there w/o the needle or anything, I had guaze hanging out of my mouth (don't worry it isn't enough ot far enough to gag you) and the lady said lets get you int he other room. My Momw as w/ me, you have to have soemone w/ you all day, in fact they had let her go back w/ me until the drugs kicked in. I was sleepy, it felt like when you wake up in the middle of the night half asleep and have to pee realy bad so you get up but arent' awak all the way yet. I remember parts of the ride home, wasn't even thinking about nausea and wasn't feeling it either and then I remember parts of getting into bed. A couple hours later my Mom made me some mashed potatoes and I took 2 advil and dosed more. By late afternoon my Mom took me to Dunking Doughnuts for a strawberry coolata (no straw tho lol) and that was that. the next day I was a little tired and the day after that I overdid myself and got lightheaded then made myself freak. Here's a tip, be gentle w/ yourself for a couple days, enjoy the star treatment, also stand and sit slowly, you won't be eating as much since your diet will be limited to soft mushy foods and also your body will still be getting used to the new things that have happened so this wya you won't get lightheaded like me and if you do know this, you WON'T get sick! Mine would have passed much faster had I not driven myself into a what iffing panic. Also the assistant at the oral surgeons told me that they put an anti-nausea in w/ the anesthesia so pretty much you can't get sick from it. I hope this helps you! Please call me anytime you want to talk! Oh and when I was preparing like you are now I posted and Kentuckgalraquel was REALLY helpful and told me to avoid dairy (milk, milk shake, products) the first day or two and I did and was fine.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

And SimplyMe... I'm STILL proud of you!!! Now you shouldn't be nervous if you ever have to have those other wisdom teeth taken out

Heather ~ Don't worry... you will do just fine! Look at how many of us other emets have had their teeth pulled here lately and we've all be A okay! I got sick two days beforehand with a horrible cold and my throat hurt terribly and I had a lot of drainage so I was quite worried, but I survived (thedentist even sucked out all that stuff and I felt better for three days before it came back)and the best part... now I know I'll never have to do it again *Sigh*. I remember going in and getting laughing gas and then getting hooked up to the IV which didn't bother me a bit (they gave me the laughinggas for that... but I've given enough blood to know it's really not that bad). ThenI made them turn that off because it made me really dizzy and heavy, but not nauseated... just dizzy. The dentist camein andput the medicine in my IV and I don't remember a thing after thatexcept waking up in another room covered with a blanket sitting by my mom. I was freezing and I couldn't walk but I wasn't queasy at all. They wheeled me out to the car and helped mein and home I went. The only time I got remotely queasy was when I'd get up to change the guaze and it was because I was standing too long... I'd just get really faint and hotand pale.

The most important part is taking the meds as soon as possible. It's not easy because most ofwhat youtry ("try" being the operative word) to put in your mouth just comes spilling right back out due to numbness and not being able to feel your tongue. Just be over the sink or a trash can so you don't end up like me with a wet bloody shirt! Inever took the pain killers they prescribedat all, onlyAdvil and it worked just fine... I never had any real pain to speakexcept when I'd wake up in the morning. Definitely take the antibiotics... those are EXTREMEMLY important!

Stay away from dairy products (milk, ice cream, etc...) for at least 24 hours. The dentist will often times suggest drinkinga shake, but nothing upsets the tummy quite like milk and blood combining inside *BLECH* (I learned that from getting other teeth pulled and from my nosebleeds). Try creamed soups, jello, and mashed potatoes (lukewarm, not hot). Then,just don'tdrink through a strawfor a week... other than that...you should do just fine!!! You'll know when you're ready to return to solid foods.

Tell us what you decide to do and like I've always said before, if you have any questions at all... feel free to ask

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Gak! I found out that the only oral surgeon nearby (which our insurance covers) was the same one my husband went to last year. He knew how freaked I was about him getting sick afterward, so he asked the dentist for an anti-emetic beforehand and they wouldn't give him one! Does that mean I won't get one either?I absolutely refuse to have it done without anti-emets. Even if I have to go to Afghanistan to have the surgery, so help me God--I will have my anti-sickness drugs!!!!!! I'm going to have a consultation with this guy and if he says there's no way he can give me the drugs, then I don't know what I'll do. I'd probably have to go to Cleveland to have it done and that's an hour drive from my house.

Anyway, I feel a tiny bit better and it always soothes me when I hear of how many emets made it through general anesthesia just fine. But you know how we emets get: I keep saying to myself, "I'll be the one emet on the site who gets sick from it, I just know it!" But I'm sure all you have done that too. Why do we always assume that our case is "special" and we'll be the one in a million who get sick from this or that?

So, I still haven't made the appointment yet, but I'm doing it this week. I have to. My mouth hurts too bad to keep putting it off.

Okay Hdoggie, I was still in high school when I had my bottom two out, then this winter I started to get an overbite and some pain and found out one of the teeth had popped through atiny bit and both were pushing on my teeth. So I HAD to get them done ASAP, which was early march. What I worried most about was the 400$ or so that it cost to do it!!! (I had to put half on a credit card and pay off the rest by hand, making my last payment on the very last day possible lol) Anyway I went in and was nervous so they put me on laughing gas right off to lighten me up, and then they put the IV in my arm and I was asleep. Next thing I knew I was awake. Sorta. Hours afterward I had no recollection of the time between waking up and getting out of the car at home, but Chris reminded me what happened and I was like :O omg no way! I had stumbled out of the chair, the nurse and chris helped me into a little curtained waiting room and sat me down.. and they gave me a juice box. I sucked that thing down instantly and the lady had to take it away from me. I was shaking REALLY BAD so they were all worried about me. I had said "I do this all the time dont worry " (which is true, when I panic, but i wasnt panicking..) so when I stopped shaking I tried to stand up and fell down.. lol and they helped me to the car. THE END. No problems, no nausea, nothin. The dr. told me he hadnt heard of anyone being sick from it anyhow so I was like okay! So best wishes on that, and if you dont have dental insurance, may god be with your wallet. ;D

Hey Heather,

Long time no talk!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Well, I just got all four of mine out on Friday! Afterwards, I said to myself, why would any emet ever be afraid of this procedure?! I didnt feel nauseous once. However, I chose to do the local with the nitrous. Do you really want general or can you choose other options? I know my doctor tried to get me to just go under, but I'm so glad the I did the method that I did! I was starving and very coherent. There was no nausea whatsoever

The pain afterwards isnt bad either! Because of my stomach problems, I had to use just plain old Tylenol and it worked just fine! So I'm sure IB profin would work even better for you!

Here are the details of my procedure.

I didnt eat for 12 hours before (just to be safe....even though with nitrous you just can't eat for 4 hours before). I arrived at the office at 10 for my appointment at 1015. I didnt even get into the room until 1030. The nurse put on the blood pressure thing and the heart rate monitor. Of course I was nervous so my heartrate was off the charts. So the nurse put this little nose thing over my nose and told me to breathe in. I had my headphones on and floated off to la la land with Sheryl Crow singing to me. Twenty minutes later, I was done.

My mom came in and they put the nitrous over to just oxygen. I got really cold, so they put a blanket on me. I walked out of the office at 11..perfectly fine. My novacaine wore off like 8 hours later...hahaha. I took a few tylenol and tried to eat even though I couldnt feel my mouth.

I slept ok, too. I would wake up at 4 am with the pain....but then I'd pop a few tylenol PMs and get new ice packs. I would then wake up at 10 am. The most frustrating part was being so hungry but not able to eat what i wanted to. Just be careful with the smoking. That makes you very vulnerable to dry socket. So if you can hang up the buts for 4-5 days, that would be the best thing for ya!

I dont really know what more to say. Hope this helps! If you want to talk, feel free to IM or email me!

I know you'll be fine!

Peace,

Allyson
    Peace,
    Allyson

\"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains And we never even know we have the key\"

\"We are all just prisoners here of our own device\"

You guys are great. Nothing helps quite like reassurance from an emet who's gone through it too.

There's still some things I freak out about though. Of course I'm afraid of v* from the anesthesia. But I'm also afraid of being knocked out. I've never been unconscious in my entire life and I'm petrified of it. If I'm totally knocked out, the surgeon and/or anesthesiologist has complete control over my body and I hate that!!! I am such a control freak it's not even funny.

When you're knocked out, do you dream? I mean, I always wonder, when they put the IV in you, does it feel like any time has passed since you get knocked out until you wake up? Does it feel like you were sleeping, or does it feel like something different?

I doubt I'll be able to have a local anesthetic, because my bottom two teeth are impacted. As scared as I am, I think I would rather be knocked out. I don't think I could stand to hear the sounds of my bones crushing and teeth being ripped out. *shudders* I'm too chicken to make the appointment for the consultation just yet. I need to work up the nerve. But if I don't do it soon, I'll be miserable. Send me brave vibes! I can do this!

Hey Heather!

When your knocked out, you don't dream, its really basically nothingness, and you wake up seemingly 2 seconds later, and your wondering what time it is, and when they tell you its like 45 min later you can't hardly believe it! I know what you mean about the control issues, they are just going to mess with your mouth, thats what their trained to do. Its going to be ok Heather! Wisdom teeth removal was my first tiem being knocked out too!

I had never had sedation either until this tooth thing and was like you, wanting to know what goes on. You don't dream in fact time is really weird cuz its like Galadriel said you wake up and its done! it is kinda cool actually. All I remember while I was out was at one point I felt someone touch my chin and thats it! It must've been right int he beginning or right in the end because I rememebr nothing else! You dont' have any pain or fear or anything it's like dreameless sleep only not sleeping lol. Did that make sense? I didnt' realize w/ IV sedation you are not completely out in that he told me many people talk (or try to) durning. My Mom who was int here w/ me until it kicked it was telling me of soem conversation and that they put oxygen on me and I was slurry tlaking adn I dont' even remember that! lol I promise you if I could do it YOU can for sure! Also the IV sedation apparently you are still w/ it enough to where if something wasnt' "right" you'd be able to say so, does that make sense? The oral surrgeon even said you wills till be able to take direction like if they say to turn this way or that and open your mouth etc so you wills till be in control to a point you just wont' give a damn lol Hope this helped!
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

When I had my surgery almost two years ago, they gave me IV sedation, I think. I wasn't completely knocked out. They gave me a spinal anesthetic and I was numb from the waist down. The anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted to be knocked out or barely sedated. I opted for barely sedated. So, I recall that time went by extremely fast, even though it was 45 minutes and I was talking to the anesthesiologist about something--can't remember what. I might have drifted off a few times.

I think they called it "twilight sleep." Is that the same thing as IV sedation? So IV sedation isn't general anesthesia then? I don't know...? Well, if I can be sedated enough to not know what's going on, but awake enough to not be unconscious, that would be pretty cool!

I haven't had my wisdom teeth out yet, but I did get 4 teeth that were "impacted" (just as bad!!!) taken out.I was put to sleep with an IV. I couldn't eat for 24 hours before. I was fine though. Just a bit anxious about the needle.

I woke up after what seemed like 5 mins, no dreams, nothing! I felt a bit woozy, like you're drunk. My parents on either side of me took me home to bed. But I woke up an hour later, starving. LOL and I remember exactly what I ate...some soup, mashed potatoes and a slurpee. haha.

I'm sue you'll be fine. The only time I ever got sick was from anastesia (sp?) but that was way back when they used to give the "gas" mask. Ew!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

So then you've had the IV sedation before? Tell the oral surgeon that's what you want and ask if that is what he meant when he said he was putting you under. If you can get it again and know you've had it before and been fine then that should help you to feel better about it, maybe not so scared! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Benjamin Franklin