Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Help! Mum and sister not well, need advice on likelihood of catching

Hi everyone, having a freak out again. I went to my old home over the weekend to see my family and travelled back to my own house late on Sunday night. On Monday my mum came down with something and I just found out my sister (who also lest on Sunday for her home although unlike me had been there all of last week not just the weekend) came down with similar symptoms. My mum is a school teacher and there is something going around in her school so immediate thought is that she picked it up there but she didn't show symptoms until Monday and if my sister caught it from her she must have already been contagious over the weekend (unless it was picked up in the supermarket or something on Saturday/Sunday). That would imply a long incubation period for this kind of thing no? Of course, my fellow phobics, you know what I really want to know. What are the chances of me also getting symptoms and when will I know by if I am going to or not? Obviously I hugged and kissed my mum and ate food she cooked over the weekend when she was symptom free, but then my sister appears to have got it so that is no reassurance. My sister got it about 30 hours after my mum I think. Also you should know I travelled part of the way to my house by train with my sister after we left mum and we hugged etc too. Please help, so scared.

Default Re: Help! Mum and sister not well, need advice on likelihood of catching

Hmmmmm, what are the 'symptoms' of this sickness. Honestly, if you want to know what I think, your sister is just doing the 'sympathy symptoms' thing that many people do when others are ill. If someone says that they are having 'cramping and d*', suddenly the person that they are talking with feels the same. There is no way they have the same bug in that gap of time. Otherwise they picked it up separately. I'm still betting that your sister isn't really ill.

Default Re: Help! Mum and sister not well, need advice on likelihood of catching

P.S. You're not getting ANYTHING from that. I'm 10000000% sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    P.S. You're not getting ANYTHING from that. I'm 10000000% sure of it.

Thanks for the reassurance. My sister suffers with IBS and other health issues so it always possible that unrelated events have been lumped together. My mum's symptoms are v*, aches and pains, fatigue and a headache. It's the same as many of the kids in her school. which is why I assumed she picked it up there but unless she got it on the Monday and developed symptoms immediately (and my sister's is in fact unrelated) then she would have had to be incubating all weekend, hence the worry about how long it might take to show up. I am currently extremely tired but then I have been running around the country on business for weeks so that could be understandable but not good for the immune system either.

My son had a bug in Jan. that I KNOW FOR A FACT he picked up 48 hours before he showed symptoms. I didn't know it could take that long. I'm certain that's what happened with your mom. Your being there meant NOTHING. You're NOT contagious until you start to show symptoms, which you were gone for in this case. Your sister's IBS is acting up after running around all weekend (I have IBS and that's OFTEN the case after I have fun with people). That's all that's happening and you are TOTALLY safe!

My son had a bug in Jan. that I KNOW FOR A FACT he picked up 48 hours before he showed symptoms. I didn't know it could take that long. I'm certain that's what happened with your mom. Your being there meant NOTHING. You're NOT contagious until you start to show symptoms, which you were gone for in this case. Your sister's IBS is acting up after running around all weekend (I have IBS and that's OFTEN the case after I have fun with people). That's all that's happening and you are TOTALLY safe!
    I didn't know you were not contagious until symptoms presented. I had always assumed if you had it you could pass it on (like chicken pox). If that is the case my sister's condition would have to be unrelated. I am currently feeling bit unwell myself but with me I never know if that is something to actually worry about or if it's the worry that makes me feel unwell. Usually the latter to be honest. Thanks for your support today. It's been a difficult one.

Well, now you know! My boy's pediatrician told me that fact a few years ago and I always 'wondered' then my oldest was feeling 'off' one afternoon and shared a cookie with my youngest. Full on, licked off the icing and my youngest finished the cookie - YUCK! The three of us shared a drink (including the straw) - DOUBLE YUCK! About 45 minutes later my oldest began v*ing. I thought FOR SURE we were all doomed. Nobody else caught it. I later found out that most of his class had come down with it that day. Anyway, because it's fecal-oral (you have a literally EAT the particles ) you aren't contagious until the virus presents itself. Totally different than chicken pox, colds, etc.

You are FINE! Don't let your anxiety fool you into believing you're ill when you're NOT! You're going to be ok!

Well, now you know! My boy's pediatrician told me that fact a few years ago and I always 'wondered' then my oldest was feeling 'off' one afternoon and shared a cookie with my youngest. Full on, licked off the icing and my youngest finished the cookie - YUCK! The three of us shared a drink (including the straw) - DOUBLE YUCK! About 45 minutes later my oldest began v*ing. I thought FOR SURE we were all doomed. Nobody else caught it. I later found out that most of his class had come down with it that day. Anyway, because it's fecal-oral (you have a literally EAT the particles ) you aren't contagious until the virus presents itself. Totally different than chicken pox, colds, etc.

You are FINE! Don't let your anxiety fool you into believing you're ill when you're NOT! You're going to be ok!
    I would have been terrified in that position but it very reassuring to know you were both fine after that. I should prob do more research on how these things pass on but you know what it's like, you don't always want to find out in case you hear something you don't like so thanks for sharing this.

here's some info that I repost when people have questions:

I only trust the CDC(center for disease control) for truly accurate information- they are basically accepted as the global gold standard for infectious disease research. Norovirus reproduces in the intestines and agitates the lining causing v* and d*. The virus is found in both substances and this is why people are thought to be contagious only after the onset of symptoms. The method of transmission is particle ingestion meaning that the virus has to get into your mouth and be swallowed for you to become ill. Noro(the sv*) is so contagious because it takes a low number of viruses to cause an infection and the fact that viruses live on surfaces for about 2 weeks. People also continue to be contagious for a few days after their last symptom so they sometimes go out and unknowingly spread the virus. Example of transmission: someone is sick, they have d* and don't wash their hands afterwards. They then touch the the bathroom door knob, a hand rail, the elevator button etc..... someone else comes along and touches one of those surfaces then eats a bag of chips without washing their hands... They may catch the virus. Another way for the virus to spread is though food preparation by a contiguous person. According to research, a sv* is only "aiborne" if you are next to someone being violently ill and the particles in the air find their way into your mouth or nose and then down your digestive tract. They virus is only airborne very briefly after a v* episode. That said, If someone is ill, droplets might settle on objects in a small radius, so for example in a bathroom the toothbrush might be contaminated.

Handwashing is your best defense and I promise it's effective. That's what doctors do and personal experience has proven to me that it's enough, but it's important to note that most hand sanitizers are not effective against sv* 's. They can live in stomach acid so they are tough little things. If someone is ill in your home/work, bleach is the best way to kill the virus and clean properly. I would note that normal clorox wipes do not actually contain bleach.

In general, just wash before eating and don't mindlessly put your fingers in mouth and you will be ok. Nothing extreme, just basic common sense.

^ this post gets my stamp of approval.

i have paper cup over my sons toothbrush and keep mine on my dresser for this exact reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jboo View Post
    here's some info that I repost when people have questions:

I only trust the CDC(center for disease control) for truly accurate information- they are basically accepted as the global gold standard for infectious disease research. Norovirus reproduces in the intestines and agitates the lining causing v* and d*. The virus is found in both substances and this is why people are thought to be contagious only after the onset of symptoms. The method of transmission is particle ingestion meaning that the virus has to get into your mouth and be swallowed for you to become ill. Noro(the sv*) is so contagious because it takes a low number of viruses to cause an infection and the fact that viruses live on surfaces for about 2 weeks. People also continue to be contagious for a few days after their last symptom so they sometimes go out and unknowingly spread the virus. Example of transmission: someone is sick, they have d* and don't wash their hands afterwards. They then touch the the bathroom door knob, a hand rail, the elevator button etc..... someone else comes along and touches one of those surfaces then eats a bag of chips without washing their hands... They may catch the virus. Another way for the virus to spread is though food preparation by a contiguous person. According to research, a sv* is only "aiborne" if you are next to someone being violently ill and the particles in the air find their way into your mouth or nose and then down your digestive tract. They virus is only airborne very briefly after a v* episode. That said, If someone is ill, droplets might settle on objects in a small radius, so for example in a bathroom the toothbrush might be contaminated.

Handwashing is your best defense and I promise it's effective. That's what doctors do and personal experience has proven to me that it's enough, but it's important to note that most hand sanitizers are not effective against sv* 's. They can live in stomach acid so they are tough little things. If someone is ill in your home/work, bleach is the best way to kill the virus and clean properly. I would note that normal clorox wipes do not actually contain bleach.

In general, just wash before eating and don't mindlessly put your fingers in mouth and you will be ok. Nothing extreme, just basic common sense.
    Thank you so much for this information! I wonder how many times I have worried for nothing when knowing this could have saved me a lot of fear. You have made my day. My phobia is always present but sometimes it's worth than others. I've been going through a rough time recently so this is like a weight being lifted from my shoulders. My mum is starting to feel better today so I am more positive for her too. Thanks so much all of you.

I'm glad the info helped you. It makes me a lot less anxious when I know exactly what it is, and how to manage the things that scare me. Understanding viruses forces me to be me more rational. I am always a bit hesitant to post this though because I'm afraid that the information may make some people's phobias worse. I'm glad we are like minded and this helps you worry less.

Have a great day!