Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hiccups - bad

I had the hiccups last night. I don't know what brought them on. My stomach was just about empty. I usually only have a couple, but these just kept going. My usual home remedy (holding my breath while drinking water) didn't work. I looked in a medical book for a solution, and one of them it recommended was inducing vomiting. Needless to say, I wasn't going to try that.

The last time I puked (almost 30 years ago), I retched twice beforehand and thought it felt like hiccups. So since then hiccups have made me think of puking. Silly?

I don't know how long the hiccups lasted. The sleeping pill I took before I got hiccups kicked in. When I woke up, the hiccups were gone and my light was on and that medical book was open to the page about hiccups.

Have they gone away?
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Some people say eat a packet of sugar.

You know some people get hiccups and it doesn't go away for a very long
    time. There was this guy on some news show that had the hiccups for 7
    years and it suddenly went away. Maybe if you google around, you can
    see the story somewhere.

I don't like the hiccups either. Not because I'm an e-phobe but because
    they are just downright unpleasant. And I worry about being stuck with
    them for 7 years.

I hold my breath and try to burp with my mouth closed and that usually does the trick.

I get hiccups fairly often, and yes they can last a long time sometimes!! To the point where they HURT!! Oh, i've tried this and that to stop them (some things work, some don't), nothing is a sure-fire cure for them...sometimes if you just try forgetting about them, while you have them..you'll come to notice..Hmmm when the heck did they go away?????? lol
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I hate it when they come and go all day long...they're annoying, and after a while, yes they can hurt. I found that speedwalking or jogging, or some kind of physical activity helps
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Try a spoonful of peanut butter....it's the only thing that works for me.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

When I get the hiccups, I get them bad to the point that they hurt also. But I don't just get them once, I usually get them a couple of times that day. Does this happen to anyone else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I don't get them often, but if/when I get them.. that is how the come. Hard til they hurt, and then on and off all day. But it's usually over after one day. I haven't had them in a looong time. (Watch me jinx myself)

I looked in a different medical book and it said that episodes of the hiccups usually have less than five hiccups or more than 30. Since most hiccups have so few incidents, that's why there are so many different home remedies that seem to work. Crazy business.

But can someone tell me, does retching feel the same as hiccuping?

Doug

I've tried sugar before and it worked, but what always works for me is
    to hold my breath and swallow three times before taking another
    breath. I either have to swallow really fast or hold my breath a long
    time, but it works every time!

Hey Doug,

Wretching and hiccups feel totally different to me. But I can understand why you are worried. I get that way too. Mine usually last for about an hour, and they are LOUD! I hate it because people always laugh at me. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just another weird thing that our bodies do!

Oh, and congrats on your 30 years! That is amazing. I am at 23 myself.. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

--Kim