Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Horrible anxiety about dentist

Hello all I have an appointment for Monday due to a dental issue which I think is an abscessed tooth. I haven't been to the dentist in about five years due to my extreme anxiety about having people's hands in my mouth and the like. Does anyone else have experience dealing with this type of anxiety? It's horrible!

Default Re: Horrible anxiety about dentist

Hello. I was in a similar situation just a few months ago. I didn't go for about 6 years due to my phobia. I finally went to get them checked and I told myself Id rather deal with it and get through it then have them fall out or worse. Just tell your dentist your fear and they will be helpful and gentle. They know people have a fear of dentist. Once you go and get answers and it fixed you will feel MUCH better! There were even a few people on here who said they've worked at a dental office and said they have strict cleaning schedules to follow.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

The dentist I use has good hygiene and wears disposable gloves so there is a very very low risk of catching anything from it. Plus he washes his hands frequently, as I have seen him do. I haven't been in a year or two but I need to go again soon as my teeth are in pretty bad shape. I am more worried about him judging me than actually catching anything.

I have a terrible fear of dental treatment, even just the cleanings. I have a small mouth and I hate when their hands or tools go back too far because I'm afraid of having a gag reflex or choking. I had to get a cavity filled in the back of my mouth a while back and I got so anxious that my hands went numb.
    There are a few things that do help me, though...
    One is that I let the dentist know a little bit about my discomfort and when they lean the chair back I request that they don't let it go back too far, as this makes things worse. Usually they will comply and it helps alleviate some anxiety to begin with. Closing my eyes and taking deep breaths through my nose and relaxing my jaw helps also and makes the work go faster since I'm not fighting off their tools with my tongue, haha! The last thing I would suggest is music. Bring an ipod and some headphones, turn up some music that you like, and let them do their thing. That is probably the biggest thing that has helped me in the past. I know this post is after your appointment, but maybe it can help in the future. What did you end up doing to relieve anxiety?