Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anxiety over V*+Marriage=??

So I am new to this "society," and I am SO glad I found it when I did! My anxiety over v* in public has recently been getting worse and worse, I think because I am in a sort of transition period of my life.
    Anyway, I have been married now for over a year and I am really nervous that this phobia is putting a huge wedge between me and my husband. Since the anxiety has been getting worse, I am finding it harder to do, well, most things. He loves to go out and DO things, whether that is going to bars, hiking, walking around the mall, bowling, gyms etc. and my anxiety makes me want to be home as much as possible, near my own bathroom
    He has been so supportive of me through everything but I am just terrified that this anxiety is going to push him to his limits and he is going to decide that he would rather be with someone who doesn't have this issue.

I want so bad to one day never think about v* in public, but for now, it is an all consuming thought.
    I would just love some advice or any other comments from people who have struggled with this issue in their own marriages and how they dealt with it...

Default Re: Anxiety over V*+Marriage=??

I want you to know that you are not alone. I feel the exact same way. My fiancé has been so patient with me and I also fear that one day he will not want to deal with it if someone else came along who is more care free. The way that I handle going to these public outings is my always making sure I carry some of the things that help if I start feeling bad, like Pepcid, Imodium, mints, a small can of 7 up.... And I don't know if this is normal but sometimes a small grocery bag so if it happened I could just run out of the area ( which has never happened). I also use positive self talk in my head like "you can do this... You can handle this." Sometimes I will say to my fiancé "if I don't feel well can you drive me home right away?" And he always says yes I will take care of you. When out with friends I try not to mention it and eat lighter if we are at a restaurant. If they ask questions or want me to eat more or try something, I just say " oh that doesn't agree with me." I too wish so much that someday I will never think about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristid04 View Post
    I want you to know that you are not alone. I feel the exact same way. My fiancé has been so patient with me and I also fear that one day he will not want to deal with it if someone else came along who is more care free. The way that I handle going to these public outings is my always making sure I carry some of the things that help if I start feeling bad, like Pepcid, Imodium, mints, a small can of 7 up.... And I don't know if this is normal but sometimes a small grocery bag so if it happened I could just run out of the area ( which has never happened). I also use positive self talk in my head like "you can do this... You can handle this." Sometimes I will say to my fiancé "if I don't feel well can you drive me home right away?" And he always says yes I will take care of you. When out with friends I try not to mention it and eat lighter if we are at a restaurant. If they ask questions or want me to eat more or try something, I just say " oh that doesn't agree with me." I too wish so much that someday I will never think about it again.
    i always have one of those baggies that you clean up dog poo with in my purse, it calms my anxiety to always be prepared

Hello

I have been married for 6 years in March and when we first got together my husband had never ever heard of anything like emet, he didn't get it?!

he would always get angry with me when I was having a panic attack over either feeling N or being around someone who did. Just because he didn't understand! I asked him to attend one of my CBT sessions with me, he did, and ever since he has been fabulous! He now feels he understands it all a lot more and is very supportive!

We also have a three year old daughter, we had an agreement I do everything else from trips, slips, falls, blood, grazes, snots and sneezes..,...but should the worst arise, he's in there for me!!

Xx