Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Drinking

Default Drinking

Hi guys
    I'm just wondering how many of you out there struggle with clubbing/drinking/parties etc.
    When I was at uni (I graduated a couple of years ago) it didn't bother me half as much, I would drink quite a lot, and rarely get a hangover. It was part of my routine, I enjoyed it, and it was actually a release from my phobia.
    Now though, although I like a drink and a dance, I rarely go properly out. My alcohol tolerance is less anyway but even just being out and staying sober or barely drinking makes me feel anxious, particularly as there's drunk people around who may be s*.
    I've been out tonight for the first time since January, had a great night, only had six drinks over the course of about six hours, so barely tipsy really. But I've just got in and the anxiety is hitting me hard. Maybe it's tiredness and association of going out with v*.
    I don't want to stop going out as you're only young once but I'm finding it hard and I just wondered if I was the only one.

Default Re: Drinking

I have also started having trouble with drinking. I went out a few months ago and only had 1 drink and then had a panic attack on the way home thinking I was going be s* because of it. I used to drink frequently with my friends and now I am too afraid to drink anything except soda or water.

I can't say I've never touched a drink in my life, but how much ive actually drank ever is pretty close. A few sips, the most I've had was a baileys hot chocolate, which i didnt finish. I wish I could even say I've been out to clubs, partys, and bars while getting tipsy being there this doesnt help but ugh, i feel like i missed out on a lot

Thanks for the messages guys. Makes me feel a bit more human and less crazy!
    I also have panic attacks after a small amount of drink. But logically I know that wouldn't make me sick. Problem is the less you drink, the less tolerance you have so if you have a few it is more likely to affect you.
    I'm sure you haven't missed out on as much as you think, don't worry. I find clubs can be overrated and boring. Pubs are more sociable and you don't have to drink. Parties I do struggle with as people tend to drink more if they aren't paying for drinks.

Hello

I am exactly the same, I used to drink alcohol a lot in my younger days, but rearely to excess! Now I haven't touched a drop since beginning of 2010! My problem also affected my husband consuming alcohol as I would count his drinks and go into a state of panic if I thought he had one too many! So now he rarely drinks at all!

I struggle with parties in general anyway as I have a fear of balloons along with emet, so kids and adults parties I tend to make excuses not to attend!

Your not alone xx

I understand - I am also wary of being with friends who are drinking a lot as I would feel responsible if they were s* but I would really struggle to handle it.
    It's frustrating as I'm an outgoing person and very sociable, but many events and occasions are a source of anxiety because of emet. It sucks x

It totally sucks!!! I am the same, totally outgoing! I just feel like I am running out of excuses not to attend things!!

And when i do attend I get annoyed with people questioning why I don't drink alcohol!!

Xx

I still go out but 99.9% of the time I'll have soda or a Red Bull. If I ever drink, which is maybe 2ce a year, I'm a one-glass kind of girl. I drink pretty slowly though so it's not really a big deal. I'm still pretty crazy anyway (Been talked down off my share of bars. . . lol) so it's never been an issue, really.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I still socially drink because one drink knocks my anxiety about in half. My biggest fear is being in super crowded bars where there is only one small restroom and a line out the door for a stall. No way. Also, I hate going out with some of my husband's friends because even though they are 26-28, they still drink like they are 21 and think that drinking until you v* is hilarious. My friends prefer bars that are more relaxed and only drink one or two. Perfect for me.

I used to drink a lot (I'm 19 now), but I haven't had a drink since February because I had some problems with my stomach (Helicobacter pylori). I'm still suffering, I got rid of the bacterium, but I still feel bloatness almost daily. I don't go out too much because yes, people think I'm weird because I don't drink. My friends think I'm lying and making excuses (they don't know about my phobia, but they know about my stomach problems, although they don't really believe me......) So I rather stay at home and study for uni. I'm sad because of that but I'm even sadder because my stomach is not good. I don't know what do to anymore. I feel like a freak.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I don't stick around very long with "friends" who have a problem with me not drinking. It's not a moral decision. I don't judge or care if they want to chug their faces off. I'm not a stick in the mud - hell, I've been "flagged" at a few places after only a coke! If the fact that I'm not drinking "bothers" someone, they can fuck right on off. I'm awesome. I don't hide my emet, and although my first response is just, "I just don't." with a shrug, It's not hard to coax the 'real' reason out of me. I have friends who don't drink for other reasons. . . I even know one guy who doesn't even drink caffeine! The friends that I do have are just fine with me as I am - emet and all. (Even my zumba instructor knows when I'm feeling dodgy because I stand closer to the trash can! lol). They accept me, even if they don't understand. I don't understand getting so blotto that you forget having a good time ... what's the point of that? So we're even.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

The most I've ever had was about 6 beers at once. I was always afraid of v*. And to tell you the truth I've never had a hangover. I regret it a little. But my phobia has proven not to allow me to do a lot of things. Rolarcoasters, etc. take care. Jcl.

I used to drink for anxiety but now I'm t-total. I've got to say I'm not sure I do enjoy going out any more. I don't mind the pub or a gig but clubs and festivals are hard work. I was out tonight for my works xmas dinner/ night out and although I so desperately wanted to enjoy it I found it really stressful. I felt completely responsible for drunk friends/ family, worried about them being sick (one of them was!), all of them behaved inappropriately, I had to run them home at 3am as I was the only one driving and the roads were scarily icy. I'm now sitting up listening out for my sister being sick and worrying about having an upset stomach myself from too many energy drinks and fruit juice and I'm worried I might have spoilt the others evening by being sober and trying to be sensible. I also feel ridiculously self conscious dancing sober. I'm too old for clubbing too (everyone there looked about 12 and I'm 30!) and I have a complete inferiority complex because my sister is beautiful and confident and outgoing whereas I am I overweight, nervous, unhappy with how I look and completely self conscious. I was in a terrible, terrible place when I was drinking and I'm grateful every day that I finally dragged myself out of it but at the same time certain things just aren't that much fun any more sober and feeling old!

I will drink when I go out with friends or family, but I usually only have 1-2 drinks a night when I am out.

My phobia does affect my habits. In college, I was very scared that I would v* from drinking. I actually did once my freshman year and it was NOT fun. When I got out now, I always ask for my gin and tonic without the lime- I read somewhere that the fruit garnishes are some of the dirtiest things in a bar because the bartender touches it with their bare hands after handling money, credit cards, trash bags, etc.

This summer I went to a food and wine festival with my parents and there were only outhouses for the bathrooms. I got really anxious about all the germs on the food, the tables, etc. I ordered a wine and the bartender picked up the top of the glass with her bare hands before handing it to me...yuck! I dumped it out and told my family I was very uncomfortable, and that we needed to go to a real restaurant with working restrooms!

When I was at uni I never really went out clubbing save for about twice, but I did drink quite a lot casually. There was only one time that I knew I'd had too much, I'd been drinking Guinness and went for a lie down, only to wake up with a spinning headache and foolishly get up and go into the other room. I knew right away it was a mistake as I felt the nausea coming on, and that little switch in my brain that said "it's happening" had flipped for the first time in a long time. I ran back to my room and fought off the urge to h* for about 45 minutes, but finally I was forced to give in and I did dh* a couple of times but then was absolutely fine oddly.

Ever since then I've made a point of only ever getting to the point of being tipsy and even then sobering myself up with a long walk in the fresh air. If I go to bed feeling sober, I know that I will be ok, so it's kind of a relief but I do rarely drink nowadays anyway save for a couple of pints if I'm meeting friends, barely once a month!

Exactly the same situation here... I felt like I was supposed to be responsible and take care of my friends, but all I was thinking about was that they might get sick and it terrified me... I felt like such a crappy friend, panicking when I was supposed to take care of them and making them feel guilty because of my own stupid phobia.

I'm in my 30s.... Drink like a fish, but I know my own limitations and what will make me sick or just hungover.

im not a fan of hanging out with people who get trashed just for the sake of getting trashed, but that's more my age than it is my emet lol

I don't drink, but I am okay with going out/parties. My friends all know their limits, so Ive never had to "take care" of anyone.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Yes, and no. I have avoided a lot of the club and bar scene for the fear of seeing vomit, but I also don't drink because I honestly just don't like to drink. I have yet to met an alcohol I liked. I never really hung out with friends who drank much. My bf never drinks and so going out to such places is not our idea of a good time. I also have a lot of heavy drinkers in the family and some close older relatives have or currently are alcoholics. I worry about myself finding it ease anxiety like they do and drinking too much. Thankfully, as I said, I don't like alcohol, so not much of a concern.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Mrswilson1623 View Post
    I struggle with parties in general anyway as I have a fear of balloons along with emet, so kids and adults parties I tend to make excuses not to attend!
    Thought I was the only one afraid of balloons... lol

im 23 and i used to have absolutely no issue with drinking and would drink a LOT when i would go to bars with friends! i have lots of stomach issues too like ulcers and gastritis but they never really bothered me when i drank because i always made sure not to do it on an empty stomach. there was one time two years ago when my best friend drank so much she wound up v*ing all over herself on the way home while i was right next to her! by the time we got home i was even able to help her which was TOTALLY crazy for me. last summer i nearly v*d myself from mixing a large amount of fireball (gross) with so much other stuff, like i was gagging and told my boyfriend to bring me pepto bismol. he did, i drank it, and i fell asleep. and then in the fall i drank waaaay too much wine and was terrified i was going to v* but i didn't. up until december i was totally cool with drinking all the time.

HOWEVER... since december & january i have been dealing with so many various gastro issues like IBS flare ups and gastritis that my will to drink like i used to has completely disappeared because of my phobia. ive had maybe 3 glasses of wine since 2015 began. and my social anxiety of being in bars and clubs has sky rocketed!! my best friend's sister v*d at a club we were at for her bachelorette party in march and i've been so adverse to going out ever since. so i definitely think the will to drink comes and goes with the anxiety and our recent experiences! luckily us emetophobes can usually stop before we reach our limits! but we all make mistakes hahaha!

i for one can't wait to relax about alcohol again! im a wino and i miss my reds so much!