Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Therapy

Question Therapy

Has anyone tried going to therapy for this problem? I would like to never have to think about it again, but even going to a therapist scares me and I feel like it wouldn't work. I've read online that the most common method is exposure or desensitizing, but just reading about having to be exposed to v* made me almost start crying. Do you know anyone who has been able to get better with this method of therapy? Or have you tried it yourself? I'm not sure I even want to try, but it might be worth it if I never had to have a panic attack or avoid certain situations because of my fears.

Default Re: Therapy

I think I put this in the wrong forum but now I don't know how to delete it!

Default Re: Therapy

Hi! I've been doing exposure therapy for about 7 months now and I can definitely say it's helped in a lot of regards. You can start as low as you want, the point is to not get too anxious and take baby steps forward. I literally had to start with the word (reading and writing) - just one word. Now I can watch videos with sound and have little to no reaction. I'm now trying to figure out how to apply it to me personally. I can say that it is hard work, takes time and dedication (I have put in over 160 hours of work to get here) but it is so worth it. I can only speak from my own experience though. PM me if you're interested in more details.