Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Therapy and success and skepticsism

I've been in therapy for all sorts of anxiety related issues since about September I guess. There's a lot but I wanted to start with the e-phobia since it's something I can kind of control and change and being an RN and mother of two, hopefully more I'd better kick it.

My therapist has me approaching this as slow exposure- generally You Tube videos of people hurling. Allowing myself to be anxious and not soothe myself with "it's okay, it's just puke....nothing to be worried about" she says that only re-enforces the idea that it's something to be anxious about. I thought it was odd, but I've gone from watching the videos with the sound off, to progressing up to watching them with the sound on. I feel like I should be proud, but at the same time I still get really uptight and nervous when I read Facebook postings about people coming down with the stomach flu, it doesn't escape me that "tis the season" and my son is in kindergarten and daughter is in preschool. It keeps popping up that it's going to happen, it will happen. When either one says they have a belly ache, I get really anxious. So I feel like it's all well and good I'm watching these videos, but...when it's really "go time" what am I going to do?! My therapist says she's proud of how far I've come in just 2 months or so, and I should really snuff those "what if's" and "it's going to happen" right when they start because it only gives the phobia more power. Along with snuffing those thoughts would be the anxiety that comes with my kids using pubic bathrooms and drinking fountains. I guess it's all stuff "normal parents" don't worry about so I need to redirect my brain or re wire it to do that.

Anyone else at this point?

Default Re: Therapy and success and skepticsism

Good job with the therapy. I know what you're saying.....some part of the phobia you feel strong and other parts still weak. But that definitely shows improvement! I sure can't watch YouTube videos with people getting sick! I stopped going to therspy a few months ago and I'm thinking I need to go again. Believe it or not my therapist has emet. Good luck with the therapy! Keep getting stronger. One day we will all look back and laugh

I haven’t gone through therapy, but I understand what you mean. It’s wonderful you fear those videos less, and it could mean you’re headed in the right direction. For many, that route has worked immensely (here’s a story about it if you’re interested: http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/my-story.html) If I had to guess with you, I think it’s because you’re able to detach from reality with the YouTube videos, but the Facebook posts are real people that you know and it jolts you into reality. Keep at it, though! Therapy is a wonderful tool. Bring it up to your therapist.

For me, that form of exposure therapy would be totally ineffective because I have no anxiety about v* at all unless I can potentially catch a virus that will in turn make me v*. I don’t even get nervous when my friends drink and get sick afterwards. I know many therapists recommend mentally putting YOURSELF into the video and make yourself feel like it’s you in the video being sick, but I can’t do that. I’ve tried. Maybe with a skilled therapist, someday, I will be able to, but this poor college student will just have to wait it out!

Congrats on your progress! I am in a very similar place and totally understand what you are saying. I've also been doing exposure therapy and can also watch videos with sound with very little to no reaction. BUT, I still wash my hands too often and worry about it in real life. I also have a small child (baby, really) and I worry about him picking something up. I've heard that one possible next step is putting yourself in the position to see people v* in real life, such as volunteer at a hospital or detox clinic, which I'm thinking of doing. Any advice for progressing on this is greatly appreciated! But, it's important to remind ourselves of the progress we have made so far (I'm really bad at that).