Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default does this cause depression for you?

First let me outline here what's going on. Just last night I bought "Cure Your Emetophobia & Thrive" and have began reading it in the hopes that it'll help. Second, I no longer am part of any social media outlets (facebook, etc.) Because always seeing the posts about people who I'm friends with being sick just began to ruin my relationships. I began avoiding people & such. Now that it's December & really deep into the heart of Flu Season, I've found myself beginning to get depressed. Little things like talking to my husband about tomorrow's plans the night before & my screwed up brain automatically goes into "why plan for tomorrow, everyone in our area has the flu & you went out and ate at a restaurant the last two days so the chances of you getting it are so high now, you haven't been washing your hands or the kids hands well enough or you haven't used the cleaners you bought to kill any germs around the house lately, so why plan for tomorrow when youre going to probably be sick?" I know it's the dumbest thing & I wish I could turn my brain off but it just sucks... I've always known my emetophobia has been linked to my anxiety but it's beginning to affect my quality of life & my mood & I don't know how to make it stop.
    When you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is UP.

Default Re: does this cause depression for you?

Hi Monica...
    I know how you feel. I wish this stupid phobia didn't effect us the way it does. I get very depressed too. I always seem to be fine in the late spring and really good in summer (my fave time of year!) and OK in early fall...but once winter hits..I feel the sense of doom. Right now, I am suffering from depression. I was in the ER 2 days ago, as I had food lodged in my throat and HAD to go.....and now I feel like I am totally doomed to catch all the germs that were there. It is quite scary.
    In turn, I am very upset and depressed.

It is just the way we are, sadly. We need to work on this ourselves through therapy and meds. But know that you have support here and hopefully support through family and friends.
    One day at a time...it is what I am trying to do. Hang in, Monica.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE. *hugs*

I do it too but can promise you that the more you push through and continue to live your life 'normally' the quieter the voice becomes! You're doing awesome! Keep pushing and regaining the controls of your life. It's worth it.

Absolutely I can relate. It's the constant anticipation, the "what if" that gets to me. I cannot live in the moment, as some people so easily seem to do. If I let my guard down, I will get sick. It's such a messed up way to live and it's no way to live actually. I am constantly uncomfortable, except in the comfort of my cat. I hate it so much. The middle of flu season is the worst time for me, so I totally relate. Seems like everyone around you is getting sick, right? Hearing anything about sv* sends me into ritual mode and eventual depression. ((hugs)) I relate to what you're going through!

Well the night that I posted this, that very next morning we all woke up feeling like we got hit by a truck we felt so bad. It actually happened... the V*. First my oldest son, then my husband, then me. It's been 72 hours now & I still do not feel 100%. The doctor took some blood samples & other samples & said it's most likely the flu & it just has to run its course. I haven't eaten more than a few pieces of bread & some oatmeal in 3 days now.

I'm so sorry! Did he start you on Tamiflu? Do you have the aches and fever? The actual flu can be dangerous for children, are your children ok?