Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have had 3 pregnancies and never threw up during or while in labor. I felt the worse w/ my 2nd son but never threw up....so it is possible. My fear wasn't as bad then but it was still there...BUT my desire to have a family was greater than my fear I guess... I risk I was willing to take.

I have had 3 pregnancies and never threw up during or while in

That's really cool, tezbear I have a friend that was just sick every morning for some months so it's nice to know what it is possible to go through wout v*.

is your fear worse now, tezbear - than when you were pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by tezbear

Hi, I'm new to posting but not to
    reading on this board. My biggest fear is that if you haven't
    vomited in a long time, if the time should ever come, do you
    forget? Like can you choke from lack of experience or is it
    totally involuntary and just happens. Last time I was sick, was
    mainly "D" w/ nausea but did retch or have dry heaves a few times...but
    not as bad as actually throwing up food. I also fear the day I
    should ever need a surgery and be sick from the anesthesia.
    My sister just had surgery and didn't get sick from the general anes so
    I'm hoping that would be the case should I ever need it. I
    shouldn't worry about things that may never happen, but it's
    hard....makes me crazy.</font>

Oh and to all those worried about having kids who get
    sick. I have 3 sons...mostly grown now but when your kids are
    sick, you just manage to take care of them. I don't hug them
    closely if it's contagious but I have managed to hold the emesis basin
    on occasion or be vomited on w/out being affected. I think it's
    different when you go through it or your focus is on them not the
    actual vomiting act. </font>

</font>

Vomiting is an automatic reflex.

And in fact, there's actually a "vomiting center" in the brain which
    receives signals from various parts of the body and as you know many
    things can trigger it. So you may not have done it in a really long
    time, but your brain won't let you forget how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by deez

I have had 3 pregnancies and never threw up during or while in

That's really cool, tezbear I have a friend that was just sick every morning for some months so it's nice to know what it is possible to go through wout v*.

is your fear worse now, tezbear - than when you were pregnant?

I don't know that my fear is worse but I think I think about it more now than before..prob cuz I didn't have time when my kids were younger. I am now 45 and my kids are 20, 17 &amp; 14. I only freaked out when there were vomiting illnesses around or in my family. I don't allow myself to let it keep me home or not do things. I also don't really admit it to anyone...kind of embarassed that I'm afraid of it. Some know I don't like it but don't know the actual extent. I don't really worry about it daily...only if the need arises and even then I try to have the attitude that if it happens, you will deal w/ it...it's life! It helps but easier said than done. Also, I read that as women approach menopause we have more fears and anxiety than before due to lack of estrogen...see what all you young gals have to look forward to....hehe

Have you ever forgotten how to sneeze??
    \"This too shall pass\"

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    Have you ever forgotten how to sneeze??

Well sneezing you do more frequently than vomiting...and I likesneezing. For most on this board, vomiting hasn't occurred in many many years so I think it's only natural to be less confident about actually doing the act. If it's involuntary than I guess you don't forget but the fear is still there that you will lose control, choke from fighting it or lack of control. Basically, it's the fear of the unknown. A few time I have gagged or almost choked when I had a cold from coughing...that is scary not being able to breathe so I can't imagine the feeling of throwing up food! ...dry heaves I can handle though.

To think that we could forget "how" to vomit is just irrational. We didn't have to know how to the first time we did. Do we forget how to go into labor? I just really feel that things like this.. things our bodies do kinda involuntarily.. it's just best to try not to overanalyze and let our bodies do their jobs when the times comes. I don't think we need to know how... Passed out drunks vomit all the time and usually don't die or choke from it. It's not rational for us to waste time worrying over something that is almost biologically impossible.

I do understand the concern, but it's not helping to entertain the thought.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva, That is really an answer of perfection.

I love the statement, "We didn't have to know how to the first time we did." That truly sums it up.

And, "it's not helping to entertain the thought" is another excellent one.

I think that you've hit the nail on the head and put the topic to rest.

To think that we could forget "how" to vomit is just irrational. We didn't have to know how to the first time we did. Do we forget how to go into labor? I just really feel that things like this.. things our bodies do kinda involuntarily.. it's just best to try not to overanalyze and let our bodies do their jobs when the times comes. I don't think we need to know how... Passed out drunks vomit all the time and usually don't die or choke from it. It's not rational for us to waste time worrying over something that is almost biologically impossible.

Edited by: japa

While your comments above make sense to me........

I am truly offended w/ your above comments suggesting that I am irrational. I have read several posts and concerns on this board that sound irrational and over the top to me too but I don't suggest that to anyone. This is a phobia board and I don't think phobias have rational thinking behind them...that is why they are phobias...they don't make sense but the fear is still there. I was not the one who was keeping this thread going...others continued to entertain the idea and add their comments to add. And yes drunks can choke on their vomit and die...it happens often w/ anyone heavily intoxicated....college students as an example, someone having a surgery.

My original post was not just about forgetting HOW to vomit but just the resistence and struggle that goes along with it and therefore someone may not let it happen naturally. Unlike a child vomiting for the first time, he/she would just go w/ it because they don't know any better. It's the first time.

Anyway, I don't care to continue this thread anymore either and I'm sorry I asked. Will not comment anymore ....I thought this was an understanding board but I don't feel that way anymore....I didn't come here to be insulted or flamed.

tezbear, thanks for the replies to my questions. I hope you won't leave though I am slightly offended too cause I am one the people that wrote most in this thread and discussed this fear with others that knew how I felt. Of course deep down I know that what I am thinking is irrational but like tez said that's what phobia does to you. I didn't think that threads had to be "put to rest" - I thought this place was for sharing your fears with others among other things.

Just to make a small clarification about what Shiva said (if she doesn't mind!)....She said to THINK that we could forget how is irrational, NOT that YOU are irrational, tezbear. I am sure she realizes that phobics often have irrational thoughts and was not trying to insult you.

Just trying to play peacemaker! (I AM harmony girl, after all! )

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I don't think that Shiva meant to offend anyone. We all get irrational thoughts and sometimes it helps to have a rational person tell you that it just can't happen. When I am in the middle of panicking because I think I may throw up because it's the same day as I did it before that IS irrational and my mother will tell me so and I will calm down. Our bodies are amazing things and they will not forget how to v* to think that they will is an irrational thought that a phobics brain will often have but sometimes it helps to identify it for what it is and then you can logically move on. This is what I believe Shiva meant to do, to help you not insult you.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I agree with hippychick. I think sometimes when you are in the grips of a phobia, you need someone to step back and go 'wait a minute- what you are saying doesn't make sense'. A kind of 'snap-out-of-it' thing. It's not a personal attack, but rather her pointing outa potential false belief related to your phobia.(btw- shiva, I hopeI'm not making inferences into what you meant)

As someone who does vomit fairly often (extremely motionsick, prone to catching every virus known to man, and has a weak stomach for certain types of food), I can tell you that once you go past the point of no return, there is no stopping it. I have tried swallowing, gagging it back down, etc. (especially when I was younger and was more prone to getting sick in public), and either way it came up, and I was no worse for the wear. Fighting it didnt cause me to choke or lose consciousness...I even passed out once afterwards because of a concussion, was by myself, and was fine.

There are cases of people who have drank or done drugs to excess and choked on their own vomit, but this is fairly rare, and they would have to have taken so much of the substance that they were completely unconscious (not sleeping). If you are going to be sick, even if you are sleeping, your body's first response is to lean over or sit up (even if you are not aware that you are doing so). As for it occuring after surgery and the person not being completely conscious, they are usually being monitored closely enough that the nurses recognize the signs and are able to control for it (roll the person on their side, suction the throat, etc.). Their vital signs are being monitored, so if there are any fluctuations the staff are there to respond.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tezbear and anyone else who i might have offended.

i would like to sincerely apologize for making you feel uncomfortable. i didn't want to hurt anyone or make ANYONE feel uncomfortable at all about what they ask here. God knows i often ask very irrational questions when this phobia is getting the best of me. all i really meant to say was that with the amount of time we spend worrying about things, i didn't think it was productive to add more worry to ourselves.

trust me when i say that i often wonder what will happen the next time i get sick since it's been so long. had i answered the post back with fear who knows how far it would have gotten. this was just my turn to think rationally. it doesn't happen often so i am proud when it does.

thank you harmonygirl and hippychick for helping me out there. i really didn't mean to offend anyone.

love to all emets here! beth
    \"This too shall pass\"

Thanks everyone for the nice replies. They all make perfect sense and gives me something to think of.

this was just my turn to think rationally. it doesn't happen often so i am proud when it does.

I know what you mean :-) I am sorry I took it the wrong way Shiva. No hard feelings...and I hope tezbear will come back and post some more Edited by: deez

Hi guys. sorry I haven't replied - been away from the pc for a few days so i haven't been on the forum

deez - i'm sorry i disappeared randomly!!

sounds like there has been a misunderstanding over the weekend but glad that all know now that shiva never meant to insult anyone!! i agree with what everyone has said and i do agree with shiva but this is one thing i can't be rational about!! i wish i could!! i see myself as a relatively rational person but i just can't control these fears!! i hope that tezbear doesn't take too much offence and I don't think we need to close this post if someone wants to add to it!!

xx

none of us think rationally about this stuff when it comes to our own issues and sometimes it takes another person to point it out you know? Calm us down and be rational. I know if it weren't for my mum telling me things calmly and rationally when I was panicking I think i would have gone completely insane LOL
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

heyhey! i'll second that! if it wasn't for my b/f setting me straight when my imagination is going crazy i think i would have definately gone bonkers by now!

willow, great to see you back [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

hey deez - never too far away!!!

hey guys, do you think that vomit can really be as awful and scary as we think it is?

lizzo, I don't think it is. I mean, of course noone likes it but I know that I am making it far worse than it must be. Then again, I have never done it so I wouldn't actually know...that's why it scares me so much.

deez,

You've never v*??!!!!!!!!!

No. I know it sounds insane but I really never have. I have no clue what it feels like. If I have problems with my stomach I never v* but I get d*. I guess I have killer genes *lol*

THAT'S CRAZY!!!! I WISH I'D NEVER V*!!! MAYBE IF YOU HAVEN'T BY NOW YOU NEVER WILL!!!!! HAHA FINGERS CROSSED EH???!!!

HOW OLD R U? YOUR ENGLISH IS GOOD TO SAY YOU'RE FROM DENMARK??!!

*lol* I am hoping that's the case - that I won't ever have to v* but somehow I don't think I could be that lucky but fingers crossed.

YOUR ENGLISH IS GOOD TO SAY YOU'RE FROM DENMARK??!!

Hehe, I am though. Thank you.

I am 31 :-)