Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you do if you didn't have emetophobia?

I would take up acting, dancing, move to my dad's house and get better at piano, do motivational speeches and just generally live.

Hum

Default Re: What would you do if you didn't have emetophobia?

Why can't you do any of that now? Why and how is emet stopping you from doing any of those things?
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Fear of getting stage fright and vomiting, fear of eating food cooked by my dad's fiancée (I won't trust her cooking), fear of getting motion sickness in the car on the way to his house.. This fear just ruins me in general

I think I'd have considered becoming a doctor... I often imagine being one! If you're still a teenager then definitely do everything you can to get therapy and get better!

Be able to live my life and be a normal teen... Not have to wash my hands every 30 minutes... Just.. Live! And, emet-Ana, therapy made me 100x WORSE. the word triggers me, and watching those videos put me in a place I didn't want to be in. I blacked out, therapy isn't for everyone... Some need to cure themself. As hard as that sounds

Probably continue the way I live now, but not washing my hands raw. Maybe I'd start some classes and get back into school/college. But meh.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

I've restarted my exposure therapy. I'm 17, and I can't live like this any more I joined this site when I was 13, and I look back at those posts and wish I'd just worked harder to get over it back then. Those 4 years have flown by and I've achieved absolutely nothing. Now I'm almost an adult, and it makes me cry.

Some therapists can definitely make the phobia worse, because they don't understand how terrifying it is for us. I'd say working on graduated exposure therapy yourself and also maybe working through the Thrive emetophobia book would be the best way to overcome it. That's what I'm trying now, anyway Ana, if you often imagine being one, then go for it! If you take vomit out of the equation - pretend it didn't exist - would you study to be a doctor? If so, then you should do it. Doesn't matter what age you start at. This phobia shouldn't take our dreams away from us!

Here's my small list:

Ride planes more often
    Ride a rollercoaster
    Go bungee jumping
    Eat at a Sushi bar (I havent done this in years since the phobia escalated)
    Be more socially active
    Be a better father (I abandon ship every time my son gets sick)
    Be a better boyfriend (I abandon ship every time my girlfriend gets sick)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire- View Post
    What would you do if you didn't have emetophobia?
    I wouldn't be emetophobic.

emet-ana, just so you know...I have been emet for almost 20 years now...found the strength to become an EMT and now a nurse. I work as a pediatric nurse in an ICU and also in air & ground critical care transport (ambulance and helicopter). So my point is, it takes a lot of work (both school-wise and in trying to overcome your fears), but you can DO IT!

I was curious as to why living with your dad is too hard and why you could not do acting or piano. Piano is a rather solitary activity. I am proud you are trying therapy again. CBT and exposure has been the biggest help in working to get over my fears. I saw lots of therapists over the years and finally found one that helped me and it has been quite the 180 turn.
    I plan to hopefully get my teaching certificate and become a primary school teacher and maybe one day being a child psychologist. I have a passion to help children. Emet is the only thing that stands in my way of that, so hopefully it won't much longer. I wish you much luck. I know you can get over this. You are still young, so keep your chin up and tell emet you are going to kick its ass.

I would volunteer at my son's school. I have four sons, and I've never been able to do this and have always wanted to. I even freak out about wanting to go eat lunch with him one day - afraid some kid will yak in the lunch room. Seriously...this is BS!!!!!

Maybe consider having children. Morning sickness and taking care of sick kids is a huge nope for me.

That's awesome Shivela ^_^

Aww, thank you Dairy -hugs-. As far as acting/piano go, this phobia gets me down so much that I find it hard to motivate myself to do things. Going to change that now though. Thank you for the encouragement xx

Wisco - would your son appreciate it if you were there? And would it make him happy? Also, during my entire primary school years, only once did anyone v* in the lunch hall.

Aw Megan
    Last edited by Claire-; 12-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.

How old are you meganlynn? If I may ask.

Good question! I would surely be a better mom. I would live a normal life, be able to go out without stressing and being afraid. And I think I would consider working with seniors. I like being with them and taking care of them, but I am too afraid of virus. I am visiting my grandfather regularly, but from November until March it's not as often as I would like.

Probably nothing much different, other than I might do that Middlegrounds offshore fishing trip rather than be terrified once I can't see land and stay behind. Also I would enjoy my food a bit more. Honestly, most of the time, my emet doesn't stop me from doing anything I really want, but in the past it really has stopped me from being social. I honestly couldn't see any huge changes in my life unless I also totally got rid of my anxiety problem, not just the emet.

So far in my school life, there have only ever been 2 people that were sick- One from food poisoning from a subway sandwich, the other from CPR because he was choking and the CPR was too hard or something.
    Call me Koi or Koiz
    I use my phone for this site 65% of the time so if I do not respond on chat, I am not ignoring you!!!

id get into acting more, leave the house more, go to school more, hang out with friends more, and tbh not feeling horrible and scared all the time would be a dream come true
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Emet doesn't really effect me in serious ways. I would probably just stop washing my hands so often and go downstairs to socialize.

I would go to concerts and go to the cinema far more often than I do now. I actually missed the première of a film that I worked on because of emet, which I really do regret. And I wouldn't have that dreadful fear which has on occasions caused me to hurt myself quite badly, which ironically means visiting the hospital, with more risk and worry.

I would eat so much food. Before my digestive problems worsened - which brought my emetophobia to light - I took good food for granted, didn't eat out much and didn't experiment too much with my recipes. Now, I'm down to a handful of foods and ingredients that don't upset my stomach, and everything that could make me vomit looks so darn tempting.

If I didn't have emetophobia I would be living the life I'm supposed to instead of wasting the past 30 years being terrified of something that almost never happens and when it does, it's awful for sure, but not the end of the world. To add insult to injury, I'm sure that all my worrying, all my avoiding, all my hyper-vigilance has done very little (if anything) to keep me safer than if I had let loose and just lived my life like normal people do, not worrying if everything and everyone is contaminated with something that could make me sick. So I'm worrying my life away for nothing. It would be nice to just live life and enjoy it!

*Go to amusement parks more often
    *Work around with little kids without having to worry that they'd vomit - Maybe be a teacher?
    *Eat more at restaurants
    *Have no problems sharing a room with sick people in hospital (I personally am not affected by anesthesia as I've had two outpatient surgeries with no nausea/vomiting)
    *Have children

I do occasional acting in local theaters. My emetophobia has no affect on most of my social life.

Travel! I would love to travel more than 4 hours away from home. I'm so nervous that I would be stuck across the country or out of the country sick. Plus, I'm afraid of getting sick on a plane. I developed motion sickness after being pregnant 9 years ago. I haven't flown since before then :-/

I dont let it hold me back from too much, but my anxiety did prevent me from going to college very long. I wanted to be a vet, but I had such bad school/test/general anxiety, I got a business degree instead. It's turned out to not only be a waste of money but not remotely what I want to do in life :/
    oh and I would fly and travel a lot more.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Go to the pub

I do a lot of things already....but it is mostly worrying about my son getting sick or my hubby.

If I wasnt emet...I would take my son out more often in the winter months and not be so paranoid. It is bad enough that I get anxious in the summer...but not nearly as bad in winter. I don't want to screw him up.
    He is 3.

Whenever I am at a theater or somewhere, I make sure I am on the end seat as well...quick escape! LOL
    Although, I have already sat in the middle at a Conan O'Brien show and I was absolutely fine! I was too excited to see him. LOL

But yeah...I wouldnt be so damn paranoid about things. Especially my son.
    Last edited by ren2005; 01-08-2015 at 09:00 AM.

i would:
    -apply for a "regular" job
    -add more classes to my college schedule
    -apply to transfer to an out of state college and live in a dorm
    -hang out with friends outside of my house
    -go on a plane and travel
    -eat at a restaurant (probably treat my mom on her birthday)
    -take a bus tour/travel by bus
    -just being in a building and not worry about where the nearest bathroom or exit is

I do have to talk myself into social situations most of the time, but I am always planning my escape route as soon as I walk in the door. I would just like to make it through a day without thinking about getting sick or someone else getting sick or what germs I have come into contact with throughout my day.