Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panic "ticks"

Hey guys! I was wondering something about everyone else, if they do dome of the same type of things during a panic attack.

By panic, I am talking full-blown-freaking-out panic. The kind where there is no way you can talk yourself down, or read a book, or have a bath, or do anything that you normally do to calm anxiety.

For example...I bite my lip...HARD! Usually to the point of bleeding. I sometimes will grab the outside of my thigh just underneath and dig my nails in. I don't think that I have ever bruised or anything. But, I think I do these things to cause pain just enough to get my mind off the panic. I don't want to hurt myself or self-mutilate or anything, I just want the panic attack to go away.

Anybody else???

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I do that too - I sometimes will grab my arm or something, I usually do
    this if I feel really n* and know I am going to v*. It's almost like
    trying to get the feeling away. I know what you mean though. I've never
    bruised or bled, but I do the same.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

i dig my nails into my palms til they bleed... pretty horrible but sometimes i dont know im doing it.. i also pull at the skin under my thumb finger nails with my fore fingers and then they start bleeding and it kills when water and stuf gets in there...i run my finger nails over my scalp so hard and pull and squash the skin on my face... all trying to get bak to reality.. bak to earth.. its called desociation... my psychiatrist talked to me about it when i was going through a time of self-mutilation... its the same 'type' of thing but we;r not actually trying to harm ourselves in our panick attacks, we'r trying to feel pain so we feel 'real' agian or soemthing.. its hard to explain... but i guess the amount of fear we feel in our panick attacks is unedxplainable too!! <!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

can't say that I do. I do talk to my cats though, so I'm not totally normal, lol.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

One time, I dug my nails so hard into my thighs that they bled. It was only once though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I bite my lip, I can't bite my nails because I have fake ones on for now , I haven't chewed them off because I haven't had a panic attack. Usually bite my nails until they bleed. When this phobia began for me I would do things to myself just to get the panic attack off my mind. That is one of many reasons why my parents admitted me to the Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto.

babydoll....i always talk to my cats....seems normal to me!!!
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!