Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm kind of fine...until Facebook

So a little about me to start off with:
    I've battled emetophobia for almost 20 years now. I have OCD, anxiety issues, IBS, and it's all related to emetophobia in some way. Fun. Honestly, I've grown to a place where I've managed to be some semblance of normal. I work as a pediatric ICU nurse in a hospital (hey! germy hospitals + children...I'm pretty proud of myself for handling that on a daily basis! And I don't even mind being labeled as the "germophobe" at work, haha), and have been able to manage a lot of my anxiety and OCD symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means cured, and my poor husband has to put up with a lot of my crazy fears on a daily basis, BUT I've made a lot of progress...

EXCEPT for what I call flare-ups - those times when I am extra worried and my OCD compulsions are more frequent - which always happens in the winter when it's noro season.

I. HATE. NORO.
    I hate it so much. I hate worrying about it, I hate that it exists, I hate living in fear of it.

I can ignore it all pretty well (i.e. rationalize it away) so that I'm at a functional level, but the worst part is the posts on Facebook this time of year. You all probably know what I'm talking about:

"I've never been so sick before in my life."
    "Oh great. [Child's name] just v*d all over."
    "Looks like everyone in our house is sick!"

I had one friend who posted that she had a sick child who was v*ing one morning, and then she took the kid to the movies that night! I was livid. The kid was clearly contagious, and she was so selfish as to bring her sick child to the movies just because she felt guilty that the kid was "bored at home"?!

Whenever I see stuff like that, it makes me feel like the whole outside world is crawling with noro. Like every public surface was just touched by someone who was sick or had a sick person at home (because, potentially, it was). Like noro is closing in on me because people I know have it and I am sure to get it.
    It makes me want to stay home all the time to avoid it. To not go to parties because someone might be contagious. To not go shopping or out somewhere because someone contagious might have been there just before me. To not go to a restaurant because I might get food poisoning. When I do go out, I need to have my hand wipes with me, wash my hands before eating always, avoid certain areas, never touch doorknobs, and even find myself eyeing people who might seem like they aren't feeling well to see if I should avoid them. It's gotten to a point where I have been buying clothes online because I don't want to go to a store and try stuff on since some germy person might have been trying it on before me.

It's an awful, isolating feeling. Sometimes I hate that I can't be like "normal people" and just go out and experience life and touch things and not worry...but then I realize that those people tend to get sick, so I withdraw back into my compulsions and worries.

How do YOU get through this awful season? Any tips or thoughts that have helped you?

Default Re: I'm kind of fine...until Facebook

I absolutely feel the same! I see one of those status on Facebook, and go through the whole, "oooo when did I see them last, if they have it chances are someone closer to me will have it" I feel like it closing in!!

I am also livid when I see people who take their kids back to school early after v or even when they say things like "oh just had a phone call from the school, I knew she would be ill" why take the child to school then!!!! Arghhh

X

If it makes you feel better, I was slated to do a home boutique yesterday and I canceled when I saw (on Facebook) a post from one of the other vendors about her daughter waking up with a sv*. I felt ridiculous about it at first but I know she's not necessarily the most thorough person with sanitizing. But the last night she updated that she had it too and "barely made it through the boutique" and I felt better haha

Also, if nothing else, Facebook tells me who to stay away from, when and for how long LOL

hi I am new here . this is my first post. I just found this site. and I know what you mean. I have seen a lot of facebook and I know someone at work was taking care of someone who was sick and I stayed home from work in fear of it

Oh, God.. I am EXACTLY the same way! I delete everyone on Facebook that keeps saying whenever they get the SV*. I don't care if you think it's stupid or petty, I do not want to hear if you have the SV*, thank you.. I told a friend that I have emetophobia yet she continues to tell me that she's being s* all day with d* with the SV. It got me so angry!

I've never touched anything in public ever since I got the SV* at 10 years old. I always use my sleeve to open doors or whatever and throw my jumper in the wash as soon as I get back.
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

SAME HERE!!! I am totally and completely fine until I start seeing stuff on Facebook. It drives me nuts. STOP POSTING ABOUT V* on FACEBOOK!! Ahhhhhhhhh.

OMG!! As someone who doesnt know you at all and not trying to be condescending, I am soo proud of you for battling emetophobia and managing to be a pediatric ICU nurse!! My emetophobia is soo bad that I dont even like being around children and dont get me started on hospitals. I have all of the same things as you (IBS, Anxiety, Emet, and OCD) so I know how hard it is!

Quote Originally Posted by shivela1036 View Post
    So a little about me to start off with:
    I've battled emetophobia for almost 20 years now. I have OCD, anxiety issues, IBS, and it's all related to emetophobia in some way. Fun. Honestly, I've grown to a place where I've managed to be some semblance of normal. I work as a pediatric ICU nurse in a hospital (hey! germy hospitals + children...I'm pretty proud of myself for handling that on a daily basis! And I don't even mind being labeled as the "germophobe" at work, haha), and have been able to manage a lot of my anxiety and OCD symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means cured, and my poor husband has to put up with a lot of my crazy fears on a daily basis, BUT I've made a lot of progress...

EXCEPT for what I call flare-ups - those times when I am extra worried and my OCD compulsions are more frequent - which always happens in the winter when it's noro season.

I. HATE. NORO.
    I hate it so much. I hate worrying about it, I hate that it exists, I hate living in fear of it.

I can ignore it all pretty well (i.e. rationalize it away) so that I'm at a functional level, but the worst part is the posts on Facebook this time of year. You all probably know what I'm talking about:

"I've never been so sick before in my life."
    "Oh great. [Child's name] just v*d all over."
    "Looks like everyone in our house is sick!"

I had one friend who posted that she had a sick child who was v*ing one morning, and then she took the kid to the movies that night! I was livid. The kid was clearly contagious, and she was so selfish as to bring her sick child to the movies just because she felt guilty that the kid was "bored at home"?!

Whenever I see stuff like that, it makes me feel like the whole outside world is crawling with noro. Like every public surface was just touched by someone who was sick or had a sick person at home (because, potentially, it was). Like noro is closing in on me because people I know have it and I am sure to get it.
    It makes me want to stay home all the time to avoid it. To not go to parties because someone might be contagious. To not go shopping or out somewhere because someone contagious might have been there just before me. To not go to a restaurant because I might get food poisoning. When I do go out, I need to have my hand wipes with me, wash my hands before eating always, avoid certain areas, never touch doorknobs, and even find myself eyeing people who might seem like they aren't feeling well to see if I should avoid them. It's gotten to a point where I have been buying clothes online because I don't want to go to a store and try stuff on since some germy person might have been trying it on before me.

It's an awful, isolating feeling. Sometimes I hate that I can't be like "normal people" and just go out and experience life and touch things and not worry...but then I realize that those people tend to get sick, so I withdraw back into my compulsions and worries.

How do YOU get through this awful season? Any tips or thoughts that have helped you?

I am the same way with facebook posts. Plus I get this strange superstitions that I if I see 3 post about the sv* - it means I am automatically going to get sick!