Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy panicking really badly

So, my little brother started v* a few hours ago and i left the house about ten minutes later, and i'm gonna stay at my grandparents house until i feel comfortable with going home. This pretty much happens every winter, and as much as i love my brother.. having a sibling that goes to kindergarten makes my phobia ten times worse than it was before he was born.
    Im at my grandparents now, and even though i've scrubbed my hands like crazy, and even wore 'hospital'-gloves when i left the house so i didn't have to touch any doorknobs, I still feel so anxious right now. I cant see how i'm going to be able to sleep tonight. One of my biggest fears is waking up and feeling the need to v. Witch is one of the reasons i barely get any sleep in the winter..
    January this year was the first time i had gotten sick in aprox. 10 years, and it was so awful and it has made my phobia even worse. So now i'm doing what i always do when i panic; read too much into every single little thing thats going on inside my body. My stomach feels weird and i'm shaking and i feel like i cant breath properly.. I don't know how to get my mind of this, and was hoping someone could share what you do when you're feeling really anxious? Even though i'm in a safe place right now, i just cant calm down. And i know i will stay this was until at least 72 hours has passed... How do you cope with situations like this? Is there anyone else who just goes crazy in the wintertime when all the viruses are all over the place? I find it so hard to be around my brother at these times...witch sucks cause the winters in Norway are LONG..

Sorry if this was a messy post and if my english is bad...im just really shaky right now.

Default Re: panicking really badly

sorry, double posted!
    Last edited by Syrup; 12-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.

First of all, remember that this is just a virus. Nothing dangerous is happening. People do get sick, but they also recover. Norovirus is gross but it's also extremely short lived. By now I'm sure his v*ing has decreased and he'll be back to normal really soon. It really is unlikely that you caught anything. People aren't contagious until they begin to show symptoms, so unless you helped clean up the v* (I know you didn't! ), there was NO WAY for you to have caught anything. You're with your Grandparents (how lovely!)where everything is clean and safe. There's absolutely NO REASON for you to avoid eating or to question what you eat there. You are totally, 100% safe. Get off of the computer and help your grandmother in the kitchen, play a game, ask them if they want to go for a walk. Enjoy your time with THEM! Forget about v*. Not only is it NOT GOING TO HAPPEN to you, it's not worth your time or focus. Id' do anything (include spending a day v*ing) to spend more time with my Grandparents who are all deceased. Cherish this time. Forget about a silly little bug that your brother has. (((HUGS)))

Thank you for your answer! I felt a little more at ease after reading it, and you are right about spending time with my grandparents, it was really nice and took my mind of things for at least a little while (i guess always feeling uncomfortable and never truly calm will always be a problem with this phobia). Im really sorry to hear about your grandparents & thank you again for making last night a little easier for me! xx