Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Okay so today at lunch I went and washed my hands, but touched to door knobs after that. Well, I grabbed my water bottle and my whole hand touched the part that my mouth does to drink, and it was the same hand I used to open the doors with. What are my chances of contracting norovirus from this? Also, many people had touched the knob before me, so if there were virus particles on there wouldn't someone else have already picked them up?

Default Re: Help!!!

0. Here's the thing, you need to stop focusing on each and every surface you touch. Remember that 92% of Americans DO NOT catch Norovirus in a given year. 99.999999% of Americans don't even think about what they touch on a daily basis. SO, even if you were to go into the bathroom, wash your hands and then walk around touching surfaces like EVERYONE ELSE and then touch your mouth, over and over again, day after day, you would STILL be unlikely to catch Norovirus this year.

Yes, that one handle could have Noro on it, but I could also buy a lottery ticket and win - not gonna happen. Kids are the most likely to catch Norovirus because they are touching TONS and TONS of surfaces that other kids (who again, are more likely to have Noro) are touching and they are CONSTANTLY sucking their thumbs, licking their hands and let's face it, rarely washing them. Kids are buying THOUSANDS of lottery tickets in a given day which means that they hit the lottery more often than adults, but even THEY only win about once every year or two!

Norovirus is NOT on every surface, it's not common for healthy adults to begin with and even THEN they usually KNOW where they caught it from. Yes, I know there are stories of people catching it at the grocery store, the gym, etc. but that's not common. People also get crushed by trees when driving in their cars and we don't worry about that.

Please, please, please try to focus on something else. I know anxiety loves to tell us that there's danger around every corner, but try to think logically. The chance of you contracting Norovirus in a given year is slim. Don't give it your time and energy.