Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How many have actually had noro?

I've been reflecting on my time as an emet and how many times I've actually thrown up (which, surprisingly, is only a few times, all before I was like 8 years old) and I got to thinking if I've ever even had noro.

I don't think I've actually had it. The times I remember being sick and throwing up, I was sick for a week with the flu. And as a child, that's not rare.

So then I got to thinking about how only 5-6% of the population get norovirus, and since we, as emets, are typically more health conscious, I'm wondering how many of you have had noro? Since washing hands significantly lowers any chance of getting the virus, and since we tend to wash our hands a lot, I was just curious how many of you have had it.

Thanks!

(Of course, the root of the wondering is, as always, the stomach feeling funny for much of the day. If it was noro, I'd know by now, I imagine...)

Default Re: How many have actually had noro?

I think I had it once when I was 9. That was 26 years ago. It was the only time it wasn't a 1 (or 2) and done type deal.
    Last edited by Trudy; 12-11-2014 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Wasn't done!

I had something that made me v* when I was maybe 7? That was almost 20 years ago. I didn't wash my hands much as a teen and I never got it.

Last time I v* was about 10 years ago when I was 9 (motion sickness). Before that, I remember I v* a few times during childhood, but I don't remember if it was an sv. So I didn't have an sv for a very long time and I wasn't always careful about washing hands, etc. I hope it won't come this season either haha
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

I have! Loads of times. Quite a bit as a child and then a few times since becoming a mom (catching it from my son). It was only a big deal once. The rest of the time it was uncomfortable, yes, but totally manageable.

I think as emetophobics we think we have noro every time we vomit or have diarrhea or even just feel sick, but that's simply not true.

To answer your question, I have had actual noro once in my life, 20 years ago. I was very sick for maybe 12 hours and then I was perfectly fine. By sick I mean I had repeated episodes of explosive watery diarrhea (nice visual, huh?) and I was EXTREMELY nauseated (horrible nausea!) but I did not vomit. It came on very suddenly and then ended very quickly too.

I guess I'm weird because I ONLY v* when I have Noro. I rarely get n* otherwise. I get ^ for 12 hours with repeated d* and v* and then am fine. BUT I am able to watch a movie and relax through it which makes it manageable, though it's certainly miserable.

Never thankfully. I've never caught a bug. (I have been ill from bad food)

Ive caught sv's as a child twice that I can actually remember, I didn't v*at all as a teenager and then have had noro once in my life when I was 22. I was working at a call center and it was going around pretty bad there. started around 3 am with explosive d* and then I v* once around 8am. felt extremely nauseous and kept having d* but didn't v* again. It took a good week or two to get back to normal after that. I pray that I don't catch it again. I went my whole life without it and hope to keep going without from now on! I also had food poisoning around the age of 21 from bad chicken. I must say it does not feel like when I had noro at all, with fp I had no d*, just v* until the bad was all out and then felt like new! Im now 27!

Interesting responses! I don't even remember anyone in my family ever having noro...I'm hoping my family has that sweet gene that doesn't let the virus attach...that would be SO COOL!!!!

Children are the best at spreading germs. I've gotten noro about 3-4 times since my little sister was born 5 years ago. 1 time when she was a kid, and 2-3 times when my little brother came along. Before that, I don't really have any memories of vomiting.
    Well, there was this one time when I threw up in wal-mart and there was a pickle in it, but that wasn't noro because I threw up and was fine the rest of the day.

I would say three or four times during my childhood. I can pinpoint the exact dates of at least two episodes because there are records in my mothers old diary for one and I can remember a very specific news story which I saw during the other. I've never actually established or looked up the dates because I do get that superstitious worry that if I realise I haven't been ill for x years then 'something' out there, the nasty emet monster if you will, is going to hear and say "oh, so you've not been ill for x years, well how about this then, let's see who's invincible now!" and then you know where the story goes from there...

Tell you something though, I avoided a particular TV series for what must have been 13 years because of once, I had a nightmare about said TV series and woke up ill. It was only earlier this month I watched an episode to try to go some way to conquering my fear, I'm too afraid to watch any more though.

I had a dream one time that a girl in my elementary school class threw up in class...I wouldn't talk to her again until high school, and even then it was weird for me. Heck, even this past Thanksgiving, the night before, I had a dream that one of my family members was throwing up...I was on edge the entire day.

One of the few times I've thrown up, I remember eating salsa before. Wouldn't eat it for years, until I finally took charge because I love salsa too much, haha!

I have had it 3 times. Once when I was pregnant, and twice I caught it from my child.

Once, and it was that one time that I feel first triggered my emet. It was many years ago, when I was about 17, I noticed that during the day I felt kind of off, woozy, like my appitite was just completely none existent, I didn't eat or drink much through the day, then late at night BOOM, the most horrible, well, you know the symptoms..

I think it was made worse because my father had a very dim view of it, and I was treated like my being so ill was a pain/inconvenience to him because I was using the bathroom all night. At the same time though the ferocity of the virus could just be the one cause alone of why I'm so scared of Noro nowadays.

Most of us have probably had it at one time or another. I think that the symptoms can range anywhere from very mild/asymptomatic to very, very severe. Without confirmatory stool tests close to the event we're talking about suspected cases. If we're going with suspected cases, I think I've had it a handful of times. A couple were REALLY bad, and a couple wouldn't have even been a blip on anyone's screen if it were not for having this phobia.

I've had it probably a couple times at least. I remember this one particular time I had eaten pizza for dinner and went to bed with a stomach ache. I brushed it off as eating too much cause when I have pizza I tend to eat a crap ton of it at once.

But yea my stomach kept hurting worse and I v* in my bed, and SEVERAL times in the bathroom. I BEGGED my mom to never order papa johns again... and I still eat from there occasionally because I wasn't emetophobic when that happened....

Noro is seriously the worst. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

i had it when i was 5..
    thats it
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Um... Aged 5 and Aged 7... I rememer the exact time and day! Haha! Clever me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twice from what I remember. Once three years ago and once in February this year. In fact, the last noro was what caused me to become an emet. Both occasions I caught it from family.

I think it's funny that we who are scared of throwing up do it the least. Sometimes I think that's why we are scared of it. We forget what it's like.

I got sick as a kid. One time I was out of state for a funeral and threw to all the way to the cemetery and all the way home on the 6 hour trip. But after that I went 13 years without getting sick and I didn't take precautions or anything. I got sick 7 years ago after that 13 year streak because someone I worked with three up at her desk all day and wouldn't go home. 30 of us were out the next day :/

I've had it many times. I also believe I have a non existent immune system, so I take a lot of vitamin and herbal supplements.
    Life is so worth living.

I have had noro at least once, when I was 15. Before that, I hadn't v*ed since I was 7. It broke my 8 year streak :'(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm 52 and the last time I v'ed was when I was about 9... I have been pregnant three times, and nursed all of them through all kinds of bugs but never v'ed ever... I think it's deff possible to avoid it, and I know because I have done it all these years ... If I can go 43 years without it getting me then all of you can, I am very careful not to eat crap good and I wash my hands when I get home from public places...
    theres a good product you can buy in the UK called STERIZAR.. I have it at home in all of our soap dispensers and have a foam sanitizer in my handbag..

when I was a child...I was very lucky. I may have had noro not quite sure....If I did...it was very mild with D* only. . I never V* as a kid. One time only, and that was when I was 11 years old from a virus I believe I caught from the ocean which was dirty at the time. (Jersey shore girl here~!) The ocean is no longer dirty..btw.. Anyway... My mom was very lucky with me.

As I got older...I caught more bugs...but never V* from them. Now that I REALLY know how you catch them...I haven't had one in quite a few years. I am scared...I do not want to jinx myself.
    I pray so so hard that my son is the same way!!!!

I've never had Noro ever...it's always been a stomach bug thing or something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    I have! Loads of times. Quite a bit as a child and then a few times since becoming a mom (catching it from my son). It was only a big deal once. The rest of the time it was uncomfortable, yes, but totally manageable.
    Syrup, I see your posts on here and you seem so casual and carefree about v*. Are you actually an emet? It seems like you easily p* and it doesn't phase you at all....

Quote Originally Posted by maxichic View Post
    Syrup, I see your posts on here and you seem so casual and carefree about v*. Are you actually an emet? It seems like you easily p* and it doesn't phase you at all....
    Shes more scared of other people v*, specifically her kids