Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Expired Food?? So Scared Please Help

So my boyfriend lives with my parents and I and he's recently started working 3rd shifts. Whenever he comes home, he's hungry and will eat anything. This morning he decided to eat chicken soup from the store that is close to 2 weeks old and I've been meaning to throw it out. It was stored in a sealed tubbaware but I thought you had to freeze it for it to last that long. Is he going to get sick? I can't even be around him right now because he KNEW how old it was and claims there's nothing else to eat. He knows about my emet so why does he do such a stupid and reckless thing?
    If he gets sick, I can't be in the house. Will I be able to get sick from him??
    PLEASE HELP I am freaking out and don't know what to do.

Default Re: Expired Food?? So Scared Please Help

He just went into the bathroom and I'm having a panic attack, please help I don't want to be inside when he gets sick

Ahhh, boys.

If it were "bad", it probably would have tasted terrible. If he get sick, it will NOT be contagious. YOU, no matter what, are in the CLEAR, and it could be a great opportunity to baby him and score some awesome points before Xmas. Just sayin'. :P
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Ugh. Men are SO GROSS sometimes. I'm sure he'll be fine. If it was actually bad I doubt he'd had eaten it as food begins to smell rancid. If he gets a stomachache it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be sick anyway. You'll be ok!

Thanks for the responses. I've managed to stay out of the house all afternoon so I won't be there in case it happens. I wish I could be there to take care of him and make sure he's ok, but this phobia from hell just doesn't let me handle it.

Eh, he will be fine. My boyfriend eats food that's been out for hours and I do not get it, but he is always fine. His stomach is like a rock. I doubt it was bad anyway, so sure he is just fine.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Have you called him? I really doubt that he got sick. My husband and boys eat old stuff ALL OF THE TIME and have never, that I've known up, been ill from it. I really think you need to call and go home. Running away is affirming that there's a danger when in fact, there's not.

One time my fiance ate crab that had been sitting at room temperature for 8 hours. It made the whole apartment reek of ammonia. He called me picky (LOL) because I didn't want to eat any, but he was fine, somehow. I was totally expecting him to have some sort of gastric exorcism and he was just fine!

He's probably fine I don't get why they do stuff like that though haha.

Canned soups contain lots of different preservatives which help to inhibit the growth of bacteria and other nasties even past the sell by date. MSG for example is a common ingredient in meaty flavoured soups as it enhances the meat flavour so the soup tastes far more 'chickeny' than it otherwise would. It also helps to prevent bacteria from growing as the food becomes quite a hostile environment to the bacteria making it difficult for them to survive. Over time, these preservatives begin to break down and become less effective but this wouldn't really have an effect until at least a month or more has passed.

Having studied food chemistry, I should know better than to worry about eating things even one or two days (or hours) out of date but I still do panic, but rationally speaking he should be fine