Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Getting over it

Many people on this site, including me at some point, have said something about this phobia being a part of them. They couldn't imagine living their lives without it. I definitely used to be that way.... but not now. I can't imagine living the rest of my life with this phobia. Think about that.... think about being afraid for the next 50 years. Is that what you really want? Do you really want this attachment to emetophobia? I would hope not... I know it seems scary that we could get sick or see someone else get sick and not worry about it, but think about the possibilities. We could do anything!! I think most of us are fairly adventurous at heart, but we're afraid to try new things due to our phobia. It's time to break free!

To fear, or not to fear... that really is the question. I choose..... NOT to fear!! That's not saying that I'm suddenly over this phobia, because I most definitely am not. But I've lost my ridiculous "attachment" to this fear. I want to LIVE!!! Who's with me?!

<Zachary>
    <center><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Bach gave us God\'s word,
    Mozart gave us God\'s laughter,
    Beethoven gave us God\'s fire,
    God gave us music that we may pray without words.
    </center></font></font>

Hmm... I've never really been attached to my phobia, always have hated
    it, But I would really like to live without it, even for a day or so,
    it would be so much nicer not to have to worry.
    -Anna

Exactly!!

Like i said before, i can completely understand why people don't want to let go of the fear, its hard and scary to go out there sometimes. But Emetophobia can stop you being the wonderful person you are and living the life you deserve. Everyday we wake up and we battle this fear and we panic and get scared. But yet we have the strength to live through each and every day. That makes everyone here a strong person, just for getting up to fight for another day. If you can do that then what can't you do?

Well Done for choosing to live and not just to exist!! Show the world what you have to offer and don't let emet stop you. It's so hard, like getting rid of an old security blanket. But you have proved you can live with emet, so living without it can only be better!!!!

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I hear you loud and clear!! I want to LIVE!!!!

Someday I want to be able to go on a trip without worrying about other people getting motion sick! I want to have children without being afraid of them!! I want to be able to care for sick family members instead of hiding! I want to be able to eat out at a new restraunt without worrying about food poisioning!! I want to be able to go to afair, nightclub, or barandactually have a good time!! I don't want to surrender my life to panic attacks!!!

Someday I hope to be free from this phobia!

Danielle

I'm with you!!

I want to enjoy holidays with family, airplane trips, go on a cruise, etc. without my first worry being who's going to get sick. I'd love a life without this beast.

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Boy...does this ever bring back memories! ..Hiding/running awayand pluging my ears to the point of pain. I really dont know how i would be now ,I really dont, because thank GodI havent had to really deal with hearing or seeing it in along time since my daughter is grown and out on her own...( it wasnt very often with her at all) Now i just worry about my hubbie who is very sick tolorant (hardly ever happens,my daughter is like her dad for that)) but still you never know whats to come ! AS a child , i was mortified at the feeling, the antisapation, and when the vomiting actually happened! and if and when it was gonna stop,It was horrible for me. Now as an adult and on meds for anxiety..Im ALITTLE more at ease when it just me...note i said ALITTLE.

I am definitely with you!!! I used to be one of the ones
    who would say they would rather die than vomit, but I have come so far.
    This is NOT a phobia that I can live with for the rest of my life. I
    made myself become a teacher even though I knew sometime a kid would
    throw up, and when it happened, it was not fun, but I got through it
    and I'll get through it again. I don't know if you read my posts, but I
    was actually sick several times this morning from a bug or
    something. I was also sick two weeks ago from really bad sinus
    drainage. It has been a rough year for me, because my immune system
    hasn't been holding up well to all the germs in a school. Yuck. But the
    good side is, whenever I get sick, it makes me realize that it isn't
    worth all this fear. I now know that while I am still scared, I won't
    be scared forever, because I am making good progress. I wish you the
    best of luck, and if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]</font>