Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Filled With Panic - Need someone to talk me down

Hi! I'm new to this community and I'm so glad I found it! I can't believe there are all these people out there who fear like I do.

So I work in a small office with three people and we often use each other's phones and computers. My boss came down with a stomach virus a week and a half ago. Thankfully, she was out of town for most of it. The last time she v* was a Sunday and she came to work the whole next week. I was traveling for work that week so I was only with her 3 days (Mon-Wed). The thing is, all four of her children and her husband had the virus during that week. My boss was taking care of them at home during the night and then coming into work all day. I was so freaked out that I would get it from her; however, since I made it until now without getting sick, I thought I was in the clear. But then yesterday my boss came in feeling nauseous and she just told me an hour ago that she's been v* again! I tried to avoid her all day yesterday, but it's impossible in a small office. I touched a lot of the same surfaces she touched (doorknobs, desks, and printer) but the thing I'm most worried about is that she leaned over me while I was at my computer and she breathed on me yesterday!

So now I'm freaked out and having major anxiety. No one else understands this. They tell me to stop worrying, like it's just that easy. Or they make fun of me. No one gets how much this affects me. I can't even think about anything else. I'm happy to have found a place where people understand it.

So since you understand it, can you help? Am I gonna get sick? What tricks are there for getting your mind off it?

Default Re: Filled With Panic - Need someone to talk me down

I am so sorry - that is horrible! They key is just washing your hands and avoiding putting your fingers in your mouth as much as possible. Don't touch your food until you get home and can wash your hands really well at home. Try to carry lysol wipes to wipe down phones and keyboard everytime you use it. I don't know how she got it again, but maybe she never really got better. She should be encouraged to stay home to rest.