Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So, in some other threads, people have discussed control as a possible issue in the reasons for being emetophobic. For me, it is true. I am wondering whether anyone else here besides me tries to control their body a lot.

For example, when I had IBS, I was constantly trying to control whether I would have to use the bathroom in a public place (due to embarrassment) by not eating. I guess this was kind of an emet anorexia, but it was about having diarrhea in a public place, so it was different. If I had to be out, no eating for me. Once I had to go to a college orientation weekend and stay in the dorms for three days, and I only had tiny bites to eat here and there, yet I was still petrified I would get an IBS attack, as the eating did not always control it anyway.

Then, there is coughing and sneezing. If I am around other people, I try very hard to control either one, and I will hardly do either if I am not at home by myself.

Also, if my stomach is growling, and I am in public, I will try to hold my breath because that makes the sounds less noticeable.

So, my point is that I try to control MANY aspects of my body, not just v. Is anyone else like this?

Hmm, sort of. I recently noticed that I can never sneeze in front of people; I usually hold it back, but when I am alone, I sneeze a lot! That's weird.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I cannot poo in public toilets. It has become physically impossible, even if I want to. So I, like you, don't eat much if I know I'm going out for the day, etc. I used to have problems with constipations/diarrhea but was never really diagnosed with IBS. It's better now, but I'll still have the occasional cramping and I freak if I am in public when it happens.

Oh, and I do the holding the breath with the tummy growl thing!

<font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

If I am in a business meeting, I try not to fart or burp aloud more
    than 3 or 4 times. I like to save them up for crowded elevators and
    subways.

But seriously, I don't like it when people chew with their mouth open
    or make a lot of noise when they're eating so I'm conscious about that
    when I'm eating with others.

Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    If I am in a business meeting, I try not to fart or burp aloud more than 3 or 4 times. I like to save them up for crowded elevators and subways.

But seriously, I don't like it when people chew with their mouth open or make a lot of noise when they're eating so I'm conscious about that when I'm eating with others.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof3

I cannot poo in public toilets. It has become physically impossible, even if I want to. So I, like you, don't eat much if I know I'm going out for the day, etc. I used to have problems with constipations/diarrhea but was never really diagnosed with IBS. It's better now, but I'll still have the occasional cramping and I freak if I am in public when it happens.

Me too. I can't do that either. It is horrible. I went on a trip in the summer for a leadership summit that lasted 10 days...I stayed at a Uni and I just could not go! So I didn't until I came home on the 10th day. It wasjust impossible to go.That is one of the problems i'll face when applying for college...! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

wing, the first semester when I went to college started out rough. I didn't go the first few days, but then I got over that and was able to go in my own dorm room bathroom. I only shared my bathroom with my four suitemates, though. Do you have a problem with hotels? Usually the first few days of vacation I can't go but then I'll "get used" to the hotel room and finally go. So unfortunately on vacations I can't/won't eat a whole lot which is the point of vacation usually, isn't it? LOL

I think you'll be fine with your dorm, just the first few days be kind to your tummy, eat some (not a ton) of fiber. Wouldn't it be nice if when you fill out the paperwork for your dorm and they ask about roommates you could choose another emet? LOL like a little checkbox. Emet? __yes ___no
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof3

wing, the first semester when I went to college
    started out rough. I didn't go the first few days, but then I got over
    that and was able to go in my own dorm room bathroom. I only shared my
    bathroom with my four suitemates, though. Do you have a problem with
    hotels? Usually the first few days of vacation I can't go but then I'll
    "get used" to the hotel room and finally go. So unfortunately on
    vacations I can't/won't eat a whole lot which is the point of vacation
    usually, isn't it? LOL

I believe constipation on trips is due to a subtle change in water. In
    fact I've pretty much proven this on road or camping trips where I have
    literally brought with me all of my food and drinks/water from home. I
    could be wrong though. I've discussed this with people who aren't
    e-phobes and they have the same thing too.

Edited by: liriodendron

I don't mind coughing in front of people though of course I always cover my mouth as it's good manners, but I don't properly sneeze around others, I've got it now so it is like idk contained. I think I recently have had bad IBS bouts, the first time it happened was while I was out and I had to find a public loo. Since then I've been super paranoid everywhere I go that it will happen. I'm going away for 4 days and I'm scared but I'm taking tablets with me because where I am going is going to be scary as it is without this worry of an IBS attack. Sometimes I convince myself I need the loo when I don't just by worrying/thinking about it. It's kinda insane but I'm trying to control my anxiety over it. And I hate if my belly makes noises. The other thing I worry about is fainting. After a close call the other week I started carrying lucozade tablets with me in case I faint in public. So yeah....Hmm I'm quite neurotic and also have a full range of pills in my bag at any one time lol
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

For me it is totally a control issue. Not so much with the stuff you guys are talking about like sneezing and tummy growling, but mostly in the way my body feels. Its hard to describe, but in high school and college I smoked pot a couple times and seriously panicked because I felt weird and felt like I had no control over when it would stop...didn't know when it would wear off, etc. Anytime I am in a situation that I am not in control of I panic as well, ie. airplanes, boats, any kind of environment you can't get out of.

I guess thats my whole thing with v*ing too - although we can control it to a point, you can't really turn off the nausea or be in control of feeling nauseous and barfy, and you don't know when it will end, or if it will get worse or better. I HATE that lack of control feling.

I dont worry about coughing or sneezing or anything.. but Ive noticed weirdnesses about going for a poo if Im away from home, like it takes a few days to get used to being in a strange place, and I could NEVER go in public bathrooms if there was someone else in the room. Oh and even weirder, if I have someone to stay over I often cant go for a few days whilst theyre here.. haha I dunno if thats just because I often have even weirder sleep/ eat patterns than normal when I have friends over tho.

Hmm what else? I wont fart in pubic but thats just cuz its really bad manners

The only places I can poo are in my apartment and at my parent's house...other then that I'll force myself to wait. I sneeze a lot but usually when no one is around and if I HAVE to cough when I'm in public I always cover my mouth. If I have to fart while I'm out I usually hold it in as best I can. I don't like sneezing cause for some reason after I'm doneI get this gaggy feeling in the back of my throat. I HATE coughing. I used to get bronchitus (SP?) twice a year and I would always be scared to cough cause I would always get to the point of almost V*Ing.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

For me, i've resigned myself to the fact that, if i gotta go, i gotta GO, and so if i'm anywhere public, and have to poop...i'm POOPIN'! hehe! I don't care anymore, cuz i'd rather have a feeling of relief rather than holding it in and feeling miserable. No matter if it's D* or normal. As to other bodily functions...If i have to cough or sneeze...i'm doing it..of course i cover my mouth, i'd have the same courtesy if i were even at home. Farting? Well hey, if i'm in a crowded room full of ppl, of course not!! But let me outta there, and i'm lettin go! haha! I have tact ppl! lol I won't let a rip roaring one out in front of anyone..not even at home, but i find a way to let it out. I don't wanna be uncomfortable if i don't HAVE to! Why do that to myself?
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I can't stand it when people chew w/ their mouths open or make excessive noise when chewing! (Ever since i was a little kid)

I, personally, cannot blow my nose in front of anybody... (unless it's runny).. but if I'm gonna sound like a goose in a band, then I'll do whatever possible to not blow my nose w/ anyone around or in hearing distance
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Quote Originally Posted by Eternity

I dont worry about coughing or sneezing or anything.. but Ive noticed weirdnesses about going for a poo if Im away from home, like it takes a few days to get used to being in a strange place, and I could NEVER go in public bathrooms if there was someone else in the room. Oh and even weirder, if I have someone to stay over I often cant go for a few days whilst theyre here.. haha I dunno if thats just because I often have even weirder sleep/ eat patterns than normal when I have friends over tho.

Hmm what else? I wont fart in pubic but thats just cuz its really bad manners

No farting in PUBIC huh? LOL

ROFL!! Now THERE'S a typo hehe!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7