Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Clothes, and people with noro or sick in general

Hi everyone,

My boss just told me he was sick last night with some crazy 12-hour fever/flu thing. Chills, sweats, body aches, joint pain, but fortunately, no v*ing. Said he felt pretty bad after work yesterday and went straight bed. Didn't sleep except for maybe 20 mins, and then this morning around 7, he said he felt fine and came into work. Since this phobia has mutated into a general fear of getting sick, I thought I'd ask you guys a few questions.

When someone is sick like what my boss had, and I was around him all day, is it possible that he's a), still contagious? and b), should I change my clothes? I can't help but think my clothes are infected with whatever he had.

Granted, 12 hours of body aches and cold sweats sounds MUCH better than v*ing all night. But I'd still much rather NOT have the body aches at all. I did a little research on the 12-hour fever type of thing, maybe it was a bacterial infection, who knows. Lots of weird stuff goes around this time of year, and I'd prefer to have none of it!

So any answers you guys can give me would be much appreciated! And please, don't try to lighten up the answers...if my clothes are infected, I'm perfectly fine knowing that. I just want to know I might be in for a night of misery, haha.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Clothes, and people with noro or sick in general

I don't think you have to worry about clothes unless someone was sick around you. Depending on the sickness it could be spread through cough sneez (noro is not) but as long as you wash your hands, don't share food and don't eat food made by a sick person your chances of getting sick are very slim

Yeah, he wasn't coughing or anything, he was very normal. You all know how it goes though...the mind runs away from you...

Thanks for the reply!

Nah, I wouldn't worry about clothes. Honestly, I doubt he was even really ill. Sounds more like he was run down from working too much and his body demanded a rest. My husband has had a few things like that in the past and I've NEVER worried about it/cleaned, etc. and my kids and I have NEVER caught it. It's nothing, of that I'm sure.

Hiyaa I had this the other night (though I think it was caused by me sitting outside in the cold underdressed. I had also been run down all day beforehand). I was hot but felt cold, my whole body ached and I felt like I had a cold even though there was no other cold-y symptoms. It's passing now, but I still feel kinda foggy and have done for like 4 days. My boyfriend still insisted on kissing me the whole time, and he's fine XD
    I don't know what caused your boss's illness, but I hope that helps. Also, I know what you mean about the general illness thing - any time my body feels unwell I cry and shake, not because I think I might vomit, but because I just hate feeling unwell. But once you actually GET sick, and you get past the bit where you're scared.. You realise that it's not really that bad, that you CAN cope with it, and then when you feel better you feel on top of the world because you can really appreciate how good you feel ^-^

It's very true...if I get the flu or a cold I do realize it's not as bad as I was expecting. The anticipation really is the worst part.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them all! Haven't felt off today, maybe a little cold, but that's because my house is freezing, haha!