Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Xmas toilet worries!!

Hi all! I'm upsetting myself over Christmas.

Where I live with my husband, we have 3 toilets in the house. One of them is just for me. I don't mind cleaning it as only I have used it. When I go out anywhere I don't go to the loo. Wether it's my moms, the in laws. Il hold it in till bursting. When I'm out I limit what I drink and don't stay out longer than 4 hours.

my mom in law has asked us to stay over xmas night. So we will be there from lunchtime xmas day till teatime Boxing Day. I'm going out of my mind with the toilet situation. There will be other people staying too so there will be 7 people using the one bathroom.

What at can I do to avoid germs and possibly catching something? I always wash my hands multiple times after using my loo, and then use a carex hand gel. Would that be enough to get rid of possible illnesses? Is there anything else I can use?

emet controls my life all year... I just want to be able to enjoy xmas day and not worrying about the possible bugs the last person left in the loo. Xx

Default Re: Xmas toilet worries!!

Hmmm generally speaking, one toilet for any more than 3 people freaks me out. I have a bad stomach generally so sometimes different foods give me issues. Just the thought of potentially having to wait gives me anxiety! (But I am super jealous of your 3 at home - it's just two of us but we only have the one bathroom which sometimes makes getting ready to go somewhere a nightmare lol)

if you're worried about germs, just bring Clorox wipes with you (bleach wipes). It may seem excessive to others but if will give you piece of mind. Or you could hover when you pee, wash your hands really well and the use your shirt or a paper towel to open the door. Don't NOT enjoy your Christmas because of this. The odds of you catching something are slim to none. (Also, holding it for hours and hours if you're out or something is really really bad for your body! When you gotta go, you gotta go!)

Growing up I was good friends with a family who had 7 children. I used to play and sleep at their house all of the time. They often had guests and had a HUGE basement where they hosted dinners, parties, etc. They only had 1 bathroom. It never even crossed my mind that that was odd. I never caught anything at their house. Honestly, there are LOADS of families who only have one toilet. Adding restrooms was something builders began to do in the 60's. Think of all of the families that only had one bathroom before that. BIG families. I would see your concern if you were knowingly going into this with someone who had been ill there, but just being fearful because you have to share a restroom is excessive. Yes, you can bring a bleach bottle and spray it all down before using it each day, but HONESTLY your chance of coming down with something in that short period of time is beyond slim. Have a great time!!!!!!

I just treat it like a public bathroom - lay down toilet paper on the seat, use a tissue to open doors and turn faucet knobs on and off. you should be fine if you just do that.

Pudsta, you sound just like my mum, she is exactly the same, she has not used any loo apart from hers for years, she even gave birth to 3 babies at home with a private midwife because she wouldn't go not hospital to give birth because of her fear of germs, she also passed her anxiety onto me and my sisters. Pack some bleach wipes and wipe down the loo seat and handle each time you use it, please try to not let this ruin what could be a lovely family Christmas for you. Enjoy yourself, eat, drink and be merry!