Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I can honestly say I am done having this phobia...

I have lived with this my whole life (I'm 21).
    it's hard to live normally. I can't enjoy my children the way I should (because I'm afraid of them getting sick and passing it on to me)
    I can't eat what I want, I can't go where I want to, I can't be with my boyfriend without thinking that he's going to be sick and pass it onto me, I can't sleep anymore. I feel stuck. I was able to control my fear for a while and it only bothered me if there was a bug close to me. I even went through 3 pregnancies. Morning sickness and all. But now I can't even switch my thoughts. I think about it constantly. I need to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    I want to live a normal life =(

Default Re: I can honestly say I am done having this phobia...

Given that you are only 21 I assume that all 3 of your children are still very young. I honestly believe that the stress of littles makes this phobia worse. At least that's proven to be true in my experience. As your children grow and become more independent and their immune systems get stronger it does ease up a bit. It makes SUCH a difference when they are old enough to do most of the 'caring' for themselves when they are ill. My almost 10 year old had it last weekend and just wanted to be in the bathroom with his pillow and computer to wait it out. What a difference to the days when I used to have to sit with him and ensure everything got where it was supposed to! Honestly, if you notice, MOST (I know it's not all!) of the moms on here have little children. It's a stressful time and this is how we're dealing with the anxiety during this stage of our life. I'm not saying that things will be perfect a few years from now, but I DO believe that the heavy feeling will be lifted some! Press on!

Thanks =)

I have to ask, what does ur kid/kids think of ur phobia??
    My 4 year old is completely aware of it. As much as I tried to hide it, she caught on.
    She teases me about it lol.
    I'm afraid that one day she might start being afraid of it too.

Hi, I'm 18, my mother is emet, she has other anxiety issues too, she is a total germaphobe and has OCD, I love her but I blame her for passing this phobia onto me and my 2 younger sisters. I didn't know she was emet until I was 10 years old, my youngest sister caught a sv at a Christmas party and we all caught it off of her, my mother was vomiting all night and she frightened us all to death, she was hysterical and screaming and crying, I remember this like it was yesterday, my youngest sister who was 5 at the time was affected very badly, she has some very serious issues. My father is thinking about finding her a therapist, my mother refuses therapy but started Prozac a couple of months ago, she has got a bit better but will never be 'normal'. Please try your best to hide your phobia from your kids or be open about it and make a joke of it, sometimes when my emet is bad or when I or my sisters feel sick i wish that we hadn't been born, she is totally unsupportive and will shut herself away in her rooms. Please don't take what I've said as a criticism, it isn't at all, I suspect you are a far better mother than mine is, I just wanted to tell you that yes sometimes this fear can be passed on.

I'm so sorry u had to grow up like that and have this fear passed on to u. Its horrible being afraid of something so common and something that u can't control.
    I try my best not to let them see how afraid I am. But I am starting therapy in the new year.

I hope ur mother gets therapy soon. CBT can be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear93 View Post
    I'm so sorry u had to grow up like that and have this fear passed on to u. Its horrible being afraid of something so common and something that u can't control.
    I try my best not to let them see how afraid I am. But I am starting therapy in the new year.

I hope ur mother gets therapy soon. CBT can be very helpful.
    I have an amazingly supportive father and grandparents My mother has so many issues it's untrue, she has been a great mother in so many other ways but I feel awful that I have bad mouthed her on here, I get angry because she wont discuss it with us, if she had been more open in the past I think it would have made a lot of difference to how my sisters and I think. When your kids are old enough I would discuss it with them if the subject of sick ever came up (excuse the pun) maybe make a joke about it, anything that is out in the open is less scary, for you as well as them. Have a brilliant Christmas!