Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Starting to think letting it happen may be the only way :(

Iv got no energy for this fear now. I have 3 children 2 of which are 3 and in childcare and both me and my partner work with the public! I manage to minimalise exposure by not sending them when I know illness is around and avoiding anyone who has been ill for as long as possible! I have no other fears and it's simply holding me back. Anyone else just think next time I'm exposed just let it happen? Will it be as bad as I remember? It's been years since it happened to me, touch wood lol! X

Default Re: Starting to think letting it happen may be the only way :(

I'm not sure if this would get you over your fear or not but I CAN tell you that there's NO WAY a day of having a sv* would be ANYTHING in comparison to your fear of it. The anticipatory anxiety that we all have is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than ANY virus ever could be.

I'm sure you are right, the worry of this occupies several hours of my day and I just want to live my life! Hoping if I can find the strength to accept that it will happen eventually and when say the kids get ill just understand that I may get it! Think that acceptance will be key in recovery. Also once it's happened I may be able to forget for a while because it wasn't so bad, and chances or it happening any time soon again are slim so bit of relief. Also considering anti anxiety meds because I worry in anticipation more than the actual event! X

And honestly, as your children age the weight really does begin to lift. You have so much on your shoulders right now which adds to the feeling of anxiety, but there ARE brighter days ahead. I've had Norovirus LOADS of times and honestly, it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. I know it's a phobia, but HONESTLY, the last time I got it I somewhat enjoyed it. A day in bed with a fun tv marathon and everyone leaving me alone was FABULOUS! My boys had it last weekend (my fear is of them getting it, not me) and there was a small part of me that was wishing for it. Didn't happen though! It's SO short lived and the n* part that everyone hates is only a few hours. Trust me, you've had babies, you'd be TOTALLY fine. Not worth the time and energy we put into avoiding it! xoxo

Ok thanks thats so helpful! If im honest, i panic when my children and partner could
    Get mainly for the fact that i may get it a day or 2 later, which is terrible but true! So it gets better when they are older then? Just thinking of tips to survive it when im faced with it if you have any? Iv come a fair way since having the boys and a bit of cbt a year ago! Being pregnant and my surgery and any n and s from that didnt worry me, my baby bringing projectile milk back doesnt affect me and people s through drinking too much or a definate non sv related cause also. Can watch it on films tv i can eat any takeaway and restaurant without worry and im going on a plane for a holiday in april! Its mainly where sv and close friends family and exposure are concerned and of course i dont like seeing people v! Want an end to this, feeling positive il kick this in time x