Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Tips?

Ive only had Emet for 6 months and im getting help. Before i knew what i had i just tried to live normal. I go to school so ive missed a bit but still worked.

When i wake up in the morning i feel sick and all i have for breakfast is some tea. ive ridden my bike to school everyday because i cant go on the bus.
    When i sit at the lessons i sitt and draw or something so that i think about what the teacher is saying and what im drawing so that i dont have space for my sick feeling. aftar just a few minutes i burp and then i feel fine for the rest of the day.
    but sometimes i dont burp and i get panicattacks. I cant eat lunch at school which i want. I love school and i know everybody at school so its not school that is the problem. I want to have my old life back with parties girlfriends and eating out.

anybody got some tips for me who havent had this for so long how i can co-op with it?

Yoggi, are you more worried about physically being s* yourself or
    are you worried about people around you, and seeing it happen?
    Have you been checked out medically, ruling out why you might feel
    s* so often? If theres nothing wrong there, then its just anxiety
    causing the n*. Getting professional help is the next step - or at least
    talking it over with somebody close to you, its amazing how talking
    about it really really helps - well it did for me anyway.
    I'd suggest consulting your GP, and they should recommend you for
    councilling. Also theres some good books out there on how to cope
    with phobias. Have you read any of the stuff from Sage on the
    Treatments thread - it should help. Good Luck... [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Im currently just afraid of being sick my self and i cant stand to se someone else being s*.. I have now told alot of people around me what ive got and they all are very supportive. Ive also checked out medically if there was something wrong but they found nothing. so i feel s* because im afraid of being s* its an evil circle.

I would say keep going with whatever help you are getting because the sooner you can tackle the fear the better chance of it not getting into a long term thing.

Are you getting help with setting small, manageable goals- or is it moretalking about your fears in general? Both can be useful. I once saw a TV programme about a girl of about 15 who was emetophobic... she had help from a psychologist who went with her into different situations to help her face the fears and therefore get her life back, they also looked at some family stress that was going on etc... and then the ultimate was when she was able to eat pizza again which she was terrified of. So, with the right help, there is hope. I wishI'd had help much sooner.

And also I would say really hang on to the life that you do have i.e keep going with going out to school, joining in as much as you can, having the cup of tea in the morning etc even when its really, really hard. Because althoughavoiding things might make you feel better in the short term it can reallymake the problemworse and much harder to deal with in the long run. So keep going with the things you ARE managing - hang on to them with all you've got - whilst you see what other help is available, and give yourself lots of treats too as a reward for doing those things!

Finally.. just a thought... but do you feel s* on school days or every day?

I feel s* every day. but it feels worse when i know that i need to be out in public. Thanks for all of this=)