Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Is it just me?

Hi people

New to this today so hope i am doing this correctly. As I read through the topics i have noticed that you all have a fear of vomiting yourself. I too have this fear and have not been ill for as long as i can remember. My mum says I was when i was a baby but i am 27 now and thankfully never been old ebough to remember!

Does any one eles have the fobia whereby they are equally as worried that someone else might vomit? It stops me using public transport, sharing hotel rooms, staying in pubs where someone is very drunk etc. I can never offer my sofa to a friend after a night out or any thing similar!

Would be interested to hear from you!

I worry about other people vomiting if and only if they are contagious
    and can spread it to me or if they are otherwise going to do it and I'm
    trying to have a nice dinner or something like that. I wouldn't want
    them to do it in my house either.

As a sidenote, I prefer not to use public transit or hotel rooms this
    time of year but the phobia wouldn't stop me if I absolutely needed to.

Edited by: liriodendron

Hi jone - wow, you really cannot remember ever v*ing yourself??
    Thats incredible - you must have a really high immune system!! Well
    done.

Yes most of us seem to fear others doing it, just as much as doing it
    ourselves - can't explain why, other than its just a horrible sight (
    and you know how bad that person is feeling at that time, and how
    bad we would feel if we were in their shoes!)

I'm the same about not offering people lifts home from alcoholic
    nights out etc, jeez it even upsets me to see v* on the floor without
    seeing the person doing it - the whole thing about V* is just
    horrendous!!! Why we are like this - I have no idea.
    But if you don't remember v*ing, do you still fear it for yourself???
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Hi Jone,

Well yes I'd have to say that I worry about others throwing up but not as much in a public setting as in my home or where I'm staying. I was always super nervous when my son had someone over to spend the night which wasn't often as my emet usually said "no". When we have family come to stay I'm always worried someone will get sick. When we go visit someone else I'm worried about someone getting sick. If I were out in a restaraunt and someone got sick I would want to leave, the quickness of my exit would be relative to exactly where the person was in relation to me. If it were clear across the room I'd be in less a panic than say at the next table. But...I'd spend the rest of the night worrying and thinking about it. The reason I worry about others is fearing myself or family getting sick. If I saw someone throw up and I knew it was from something non-contagious it wouldn't bother me too much. There is no way of knowing though why someone is sick so the emet in me always assumes it's contagious.

Hi Jone-

For me, I'm not all that concerned about myself throwing up (I do everything in my power to stop it, but I won't completely freak out if it's inevitable)- but like you it's other being getting sick that bothers me. I think it's partly because I can trust myself and know I can make it to the bathroom (I have amazing stomach radar), but you never know how OTHER people handle it.

I live close to the bars, yet don't really let anyone crash at my house after a night out if they have been drinking. I don't drive, so when on public transport I am always worried that someone will get sick- it's happened before and i RAN off the bus at the next stop. It's not that I'm worried about catching something and being sick myself- v* is just, in and of itself, so nasty and disgusting I really don't want to have to deal with seeing, smelling, or having it anywhere near me. My worst nightmare is having someone over to my place and then v*ing on my floor, bed, or clothes...I have been thrown-up on before (babysitting), and literally had to throw out what I was wearing because even if I washed it I would still see it as being covered in v*.

But for some reason I can deal with my cat v*ing....wtf?

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you so much for your responses. A few points that were mentioned! No i definately can't every remember vominting. I often wonder if this is why I fear it so much or I stop myself because I fear it. It seems odd to be scared if you don't even know what it feels like!I would be interested if any one else has the same experience of never remembering being ill?

I can't explain why I am scared of other people being ill! But for some reason I shake, cry, can't breeth! Guess you would call it a panic attack! From reading most peoples stories I can see it is the fear of catching their illness but im not sure uf that is the case for me? I often wonder that maybe I fear it so much purely becasue I don't know how what it is like myself!

You mentioned the fear of you family getting ill. I often worry about if I would be able to start a family because of the fear of my child vomitting or me getting morning sickness! Did this go through you mind?

Crimgoddess

Your fear for others vommiting sounds exactly like mine although I fear animals doing it as well. I think my biggest fear is someone waking up and vomiting in bed. I could never clean up after some one!

I have some really funny stories like making a bus stop on a dual carriage way becuase some one was sick on the back seatand punching a bouncer in a bar(I am so not violent) because someone was sick near the exit and there was no other way for me to leave the building apart from the fire exit the bouncer was stood at. I can laugh now but at the time I had to leave and there was no other way of getting out! I was in histerics!

I do have massive issues with beingill myself as well though I have no idea how I will react if and when I am finally ill! At the moment I just do every thing I can to stop myself!

Yes, i was the same when it came to having a child. Very worried
    about morning sickness and coping with a poorly child etc. But you
    know sometimes you have to weigh up the chances. ?Yes it is
    possible you may get morning sickness but then again (and being
    emetephobic may possibly help this situation) you may not! And
    would you rather go thru life never having had the joy of holding
    your newborn baby or holding their little hand when they first start
    walking or feeling their little arms around your neck and hearing
    them say "I love you mummy!" Thats whats swung it for me!
    And for the record, I never had morning sickness- never felt
    nauseous during pregnancy, never threw up during labour, and
    haven't thrown up since I had my beautiful daughter nearly 6 years
    ago!! And yes its horrible when shes poorly - but you know,
    somehow you just get thru it - and it actually doesn't happen all that
    often!! Hope that helps!!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

I never really thought about morning sickness - I wanted a baby, no matter what. I never got sick through my pregnancy or labor. I only felt nauseous very early, before I even knew I was pregnant (thought I had a bug and kept asking my husband if he felt okay). The joy your children give you is indescribable. Like Polly said, you just get thru it and given 365 days a year "it" really doesn't happen that often when you put it into that perspective. I look back at all the times I've worried about sickness and it never even happened. This is going to sound stupid but if you aren't married - I would really ensure that your future husband can clean "it" up. It really would be bad if you married someone who couldn't or worse yet...wouldn't.You need to bebrutallyhonest with them about your phobia.Again like I said even if your child got sick once or twice a year, there are 365 days in a year...363 of them it wouldn't even be an issue. Think of it that way.

Thank you Polly!

Most people say that a maternal instinct will take over and I certainly want all those things you mentioned! I can't imagine never having children. That would be terible!

Thanks for your support!

Diddo what Liriodendron said for me!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Jone, hello :-)

I think you may be right, in that you cannot remember what it's like to v*, and you're fear may very well be just THAT, that you don't know what to expect, if or when that actually happens to you.

It's been 26 years for me, i am 38 and the last time i was sick and v*ed was age 12, so i can sorta understand. Although i CAN remember what it feels like, it still doesn't make Emet any easier.

As for other ppl being sick...i can't handle that either! I DID have a drunk friend stay on my couch, and my worse fear happened! They were in a deep sleep, and didn't even know they were going to v*! I was sitting on a chair a few feet away from the couch, when my friend bolted up with their hand over their mouth, and it sprayed all over the couch and floor!!!!!! I was HORRIFIED beyond words!!! Not to mention mad as hell at her for doing that! As crazy as that is, i was so mad..(almost like "how could you DO this to ME!) that sounds selfish, i know! But it's how i felt! Needless to say, i can't tell you how many months had to pass before i could even bring myself to sit on that couch! I felt it was tainted now!! But eventually i somehow got over it and slept on that couch from time to time. Now this was like 20 yrs ago, and to this day, she never slept at my place since LOL!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7