Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: huge mood swings in emetophobic partner

Hi Richard and thank you for being such a supportive boyfriend! You are absolutely lovely. I get the same problems as your girlfriend and I thought I had just anger issues but I was told that fear leads to anger. I think she's angry with herself because she hates the way she is with this phobia. I am the same. I hate myself because I allowed myself to develop this horrid, HORRD phobia. I keep pushing people that like me away because I think me complaining about my emetophobia all the time is pathetic. (I am only speaking for myself here, not every other emetophobe). I think she's doing the same - pushing you away because she doesn't want you to suffer along with her. All you can do is keep supporting her and letting her know that you love her for who she is, phobia or no phobia, she is still the same person inside.

Have you tried getting her some help?
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Well, I am learning something about emetophobics Rls! All the replies have been considered, open and beautifully phrased, and all from people who sound lovely- like my lovely friend Jill! Thanks. Rls- that has been my approach. It is so hard to be rejected- to be told that her feelings have gone. Jill has often apologised to me saying I'm sorry I keep pushing you away. I tell her she hasn't pushed me anywhere and that I will stand by her whatever she says to me.

You give me hope. Thank you. Wish I could do the same for you!

I will say this- I do not consider Jill or you to be pathetic. On the contrary, to live with these feelings every day is a titanic struggle. In my view, it is something to be understood and to deal with sensitively and supportively.