Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New Year's Eve: Emetophobe's Nightmare?

I have a love/hate relationship with New Year's Eve. While I've always loved the idea of it and the excitement of a new beginning, I cannot stand the fact that more than half of society enjoys drinking themselves into oblivion at the same time. I have always been emetophobic, however only over the past few years have I begun to dread NYE. I don't feel safe anywhere, even in my own room/apt. I'm afraid I will still hear "it" or see "it" - or the aftermath of it somewhere the next day. The last few years I did not go out, but I still felt this impending anxiety the entire time. I feel like I'm living in danger for 24 hours. Ridiculous, I know.

This year I have a man and although he knows I have this phobia, he doesn't quite understand the extent of it...and I'd rather him not because he will think I am a real kook. He works pretty late and we have plans to see each other for a midnight kiss...but I'm afraid a friend of his will be having a party he'll want to attend. This would give me too much anxiety and I'd be miserable. Not to mention I don't really want to be on the roads because of all the stupid drunks - which is a legitimate concern. However, I am equally terrified of seeing someone v* on the side of the road or something. Ugh. I used to really like this holiday as a child.

I wanted to start this thread because I was wondering how everyone here feels about NYE. Do you feel the same way? What do you do to cope with it? What are your plans?
    Last edited by alexikiss; 12-30-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Default Re: New Year's Eve: Emetophobe's Nightmare?

I am not scared of v*ing, seeing v*, people v*ing around me, etc. I'm only scared of my boys v*ing, it's very odd. Anyway, as far as NYE goes, I do see your concern, but I doubt it's really justified. If he wants to get together, why don't you go ahead and plan to have appetizers and a bottle of champagne at your place? If he knows you've made plans he wouldn't then make plans to do something different.

We have 2 little boys so our plans are to watch a movie and go to bed! HA! Gone are the days of exciting NYE events!

Tell him you don't want to be out because of drunk drivers and as syrup said get a bottle of champagne and some food for you guys and stay in, that's what we do. In the few years I did go out for NYE I never saw anyone v*

I'm not a big drinker, and don't come from a family of them, so that's not my usual understanding of the holiday. I usually do something I enjoy like shoot fireworks for New Years and bring it in with the family. It's cool you have a SO this year, hopefully you can find a way to spend it with him without being triggered emet wise. Have fun and Happy New Year!

Smile Re: New Year's Eve: Emetophobe's Nightmare?

You're not alone. I'm terrified of social events like this in general because im also afraid of "it". Normally I'll just bite the bullet and go out, but just try to stick with people that dont drink too much or just get to midnight then leave as soon as possible and get home so I can be safe from anything happening. I also don't drink at all because of my emet which is a little sad as sometimes it'd probably be nice to get a little merry but oh well. Guess it's kinda a good thing because I'll never get carried away with alcohol. I hope you're okay this year and from now on OP. Remember as emetophobes we tend to think "it" is everywhere and will strike at any second, but if you really think about it, it's very rare that you actually ever see it happen. Try to convince yourself you're overthinking it. Thing is, if it doesn't happen, you're worrying, if it does happen, you panic, but it would probably be easier if there was no worry involved unless it actually happened. Easier said than done but just a thought. Best of luck x

Thanks for all of the replies!

Syrup, that is interesting that you only have a fear of your boys being ill. On the bright side, it's probably not as limiting as the extent of the rest of our phobias. I used to be more afraid of being ill myself, but I've noticed nowadays it is related more to outside factors.

I have never been a drinker (don't like the way it makes me feel) and my guy is more into marijuana, thankfully. I'll be having my sparkling cider, haha. I really do not want to be on the roads because of drunks, so I will mention this. I'd say it's a pretty valid fear considering I lost power last year around 3 am due to some idiot smashing his car into a pole.

Thanks for the input! I see someone else made a similar NYE thread, so I know I'm not alone. On the other hand, it's not worth any of us getting stressed out about something so stupid. None of us are going to want to be 70 or 80 years old, looking back to remember that we wasted our youthful time and energy worrying about such triviality.