Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default new years eve... the WORST HOLIDAY

Last new years was awful. i live in nyc and saw so much v* and now i'm canceling NYE plans because i just am done fighting. i'm not going all the way to Connecticut to not drink and feel awful and worry. i can do that from my own fucking bed. and staying in a hotel room with drunk friends is just a NO. so now i'll be alone. happy new year to me.
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

Default Re: new years eve... the WORST HOLIDAY

Isn't there anyone you could hang out with? I'm sure there are others that aren't wanting to be part of the party scene. A 'stay home' party with movies and junk food sounds like fun! Who could you invite?

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Isn't there anyone you could hang out with? I'm sure there are others that aren't wanting to be part of the party scene. A 'stay home' party with movies and junk food sounds like fun! Who could you invite?
    I'm with Syrup-going out on NYE is highly overrated. We used to have a house party with tons of snacks, alcohol, music, play cards and then a silly string fight at midnight. Those were always much more fun than standing around in a crowded bar with a bunch of strangers
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I would look for a non-parying friend, or at least someone you know will drink responsibly and not to the point of v*. I used to be the same way about going to football games- my family sre season ticket holders, but I could never handle going because I would always see people drink too much and get sick. It was AWFUL. However, I started going to a few games with my husband recently and it has been not so bad. It helps that he tells me he really enjoys having me there, and so I feel good about doing something nice for him, and I really do like football. I'm not at the point that I can attend a tailgate yet (or even walk through tailgate lots on the way to game) but I'm glad to have made some little progress. Don't force yourself into a situation you aren't ready for, and one that probably won't be worth it anyway. Think about what you really want and the people who you really want to spend your time with. I hope you can work out something, and if nothing else, know that you are not alone! :-)

I enjoy going out on NYE, but there have also been years where I've stayed home or gone to another person's home and had a great time as well. It can be as low-key as you want it to be. Invite some friends over, enjoy some champagne (or not if you don't drink), put out some good food and watch the celebrations on TV! New Years Eve is fun and there's no need to miss out just because of the phobia.

I grew up in CT! But I agree, I'm staying home. I don't have friends/plans anyway so what is the difference. And you're right I can be scared and worried at home, so why do it out and be exposed. No thanks
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I worked at bars for years and I hated NYE because people were STUPID drunk and acted like fools. Drunk v doesn't bother me because I know it isn't contagious. It's gross but meh. I am out of the age where it is fun to do that or be around it, so I get why you hate it but I do think its fun to do something social, even if it just a movie or bowling. I like to stay home but I am old and crotchety and need a walker (so my 7 year old son says).

I hear you. I dislike the party scene and fear that everywhere I go there is going to be v* I agree with the previous post, watch some movies and eat some food! New Years does not have to be spent getting wild and partying. It's a new year and you need to do what is best for YOU!

You live in my neck of the woods. I'm in lower Fairfield county CT.

You can definitely have a good New Years without putting yourself in that position (trust me, drunk idiots have never been my favorite either, but mostly just because they act stupid and I have no patience). Is there someone you can hang out with at your apartment, get a few movies, some food (or make some food) and just have a chill night? It's hella cold out anyway.

that said, I do prefer to go out (I'm also guessing I'm older than you if all your friends are getting a hotel room and getting drunk lol), but really it's only because it's rare that my BF is off on NYE (he's in a band). This year he's off and we're away visiting family, so we're going to see his family, stop by a friend's for dinner and then probably end the night with movies and drinks at his brother's house.
    Last edited by Shubertgoddess; 12-31-2014 at 01:14 PM.