Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

That we are so scared to get sick butwe RARELYget sick. We get nauseous but that usually is nerves.

We spend 24-7 worrying but never get sick...

It is the "when am I going to get sick", "Am I going to get sick", "What if..."Edited by: madisonsmom

It sounds like you've reached a milestone in the phobia where things
    begin to improve a lot. I liken this phobia to the color-coded terror
    alert system. You go on high alert so many times. Eventually when
    nothing happens you begin to ignore it. At least for me though, this
    effects people differently.

Madison'sMom,

That is so true of myself. I am 38 and I'd guess I've only thrown up 6 times in my entire life but I've worried for the past 32 years! It really makes me sad to think of all the times I've been on vacation or visiting people and I don't fully enjoy myself because of the worrying. I imagine life would be so much better without this phobia and I don't know why we have to have it. I guess I'm glad though that otherwise I'm okay and there are things far worse than this. I do remind myself of the very few times I've actually V. I hate nausea, I wish it was a feeling that didn't exist.

I bet *if* my kids get sick I will be on high alert!

That's a great realization. I bet that you can use it to help yourself next time you are worrying. I hope that everyone on here takes the time to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by madisonsmom
    I bet *if* my kids get sick I will be on high alert!

Yeah and since you will remember to wash your hands after handling
    their soiled diapers and vomitus, you won't catch it and once that
    happens a few times you'll worry less.

I totally agree with you 100%. I spend so much time worrying about when it will happen that I can't enjoy anything and you are so right...it really hardly ever happens. Why do we spend so much time with this stress???? I know that I think about it 24/7 and in some form or fashion it does control a lot of what we all do here at home. I wash my hands all the time, clean all of our clothes if they have only been worn once, make my son wahs his hands a lot and use that GERMX stuff, I hate traveling and rarely do it...

i don't even think that I am in bad shape since I do go and go and go, but it is something to worry about constantly.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

I feel like I am getting a little better. I still freak a little when someone is sick near me but I used to panic when I just heard about it going around.

Last year was real bad. My dh says "Think about how many times we have had a stomach bug since we have been together" Well I have been with him for 10 years and I can only think of maybe 4 times give or take.

I never used to even think about this...It never crossed my mind. My son got sick one time in February of 2001 and was so very sick and got it again like 2 weeks later. It was AWFUL! That is what sparked my emet. I got it from him but it only lasted from like 11pm to 5am. I wasnt really too sick. I did v* and have d* but it was not bad. Ever since that time UGH I have so scared of it!

Oh yea...I used to have bad gallbladder attacks and v* from them. Never bothered me. Oh how I wish I could be like that again![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I agree we spend so much time worrying about it but it rarely ever happens. All the preventive stuff reminds me of my sister and her fear of Ants. You see ever since we had construction on my parent's house we've had an ant problem. When my sister sees only ONE Ant...dead or alive...she goes around spraying ant poison like EVERYWHERE. I always laugh at her but thinking about it now...I'm the same way with my Emet. I'm so scared of V*ing so I do everything in my power to prevent it. And she's so scared of ants she does everything in her power to kill them.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i am like that with spiders monica
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

At least you can run from ants AND they dont make you sick[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

i wish i could just v* and not be afraid