Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Why is it that SV's and flu's are more prevalent at this time of year? I
    know most of you will say its due to change in the weather, but how
    does the weather changing make more viruses? And how do these
    bugs actually start? They obviously have to start somewhere. And I
    wouldn't have said people wash their hands any less during the
    winter so why do they become such a problem at this time of year.
    And is there any truth in the idea that once the really cold frosts and
    snow set in that they supposedly kill the germs off?? (Probably not
    but its one I'd like to believe!!)
    Just some questions to get your brains working!!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

I think its all has to due with the kids going back to school. Germs are everywhere, all the time. But, when kids go back to school, all you need is one sick kid, and every other kid gets it. Then the parents get it, and that's how it spreads. When the weather gets colder, people are also spending much more time inside, like malls and stuff, so it's like one big germ fest. Then with the holidays, everyone bakes which also spreads germs. You never know who may have not washed their hands when helping to make cookies, etc. That's how come I think sv and colds are so prevalent this time of year.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

it also has a lot to do with the fact that when it's cold, everyone is cooped up in the house together in small spaces, touching and breathing on everything. that's how stuff gets passed so easily!

I have a freind, who last year had a New Year's Eve party and I guess her b.i.l and s.i.l are'nt all there because they brought their sick toddler (who had v and d)to this party. Well, over they next week, her, her hubby, their son, her m.i.l, f.i.l, aunt and a few other people at this party got this sv*. Also-being from Boston, I can tell ya first hand-there is no truth in the frost killing germs myth. Edited by: swiftette
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Hey Swiftette! I had a cousin who did the same thing at a family reunion in December one year. She brought a sick kid because she did not want to miss out on the party herself. So...the rest of us ended up ill for the holidays! Merry Freakin' Christmas huh?

I just moved from Missouri (not as cold as Boston, but it could get close!) and I agree...seems like the colder it got, the more sick everyone got.

Thats one thing that really annoys me, y'know. People who take sick
    children out and about with them. Its really selfish in my opinion. Its
    not fair on the poor child, and its certainly not fair on the other
    people around them. Just because the parents want to have a good
    time at a party, they drag their sick kids about, without a thought for
    other people!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

I read norwalk-like viruses actually sweep across the USA from
    southwest to northeast, with the northeast getting hammered with
    viruses showing early spring.

But then again I guess the question was for illnesses in general. The
    other theories sound like they make sense. The only thing I might add
    is drastic flutuation in humidity making matters more difficult for
    immune systems. Too dry is bad and too wet is bad. Some parts of the
    nation are warmer than others but this doesn't seem to make a
    difference. The common thread is the rapid drops in humidity.

One might also say that bacterial gastroenteritis is common in summer
    with picnic food safety gone awry and various outdoor activities such
    as drinking out of a mountain stream.

Edited by: liriodendron

Actually these bugs are around all year. It is worse this time of year, I believe, not because of the weather change per say, but people are more confined due to the colder weather and things spread quicker. People are in a moreconfined area...Like schools. All those kids togethor. Know what I mean??

For the past 2 summers we have gotten a tummy bug. I fret all winter and let my guard down and BAM...we get sick!

I always wonder where these bugscome from...they suck!

Luckily I live by myself so I don't really have to worry about the spread of germs. If my sister or parents get sick then they tell me and I don't come over to the house that week.

But I also agree with not taking your sick kid to parties or in public. That's just wrong. I mean imagine how you would feel if YOU were sick and your husband/boyfriend/wife/girlfriend dragged you out of the house and to the mall or a party or something...it's not right!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I've also wondered this, and thought it had something to do with the humidity too. I thought the more dry, arid places, like southern CA and AZ didn't spread the virus so much.... I don't know.

And about bringing kids out who are sick, I was on a bowling league a few years ago, and this one woman would bring her kid to bowling every week. Apparently she didn't have daycare or something. Anyways, this one night, we were playing against her team and her kid was running around and then all of a sudden got really clingy with his mom and she ran with him to the bathroom and he didn't make it. He v'd all over the women's bathroom. She didn't stop bowling to take him home! She played one more game while he was all green sitting there, and I think v'd again. I was horrified and disgusted, and was so pissed! I quit later that season and haven't done it since. Yes, some people are absolutely selfish and unbelievable.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11