Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Sick nephew/ exposure?

Two days ago my sister asked me to watch her kids. I came over and watched them, she has 5 kids, planning on having a 6th. A set of twins (both girls, 7 years old) and 2 boys, one is 1 year the other is 4, then the newest- my other niece (from that sister) who just turned 5 months old.

Apparently, after close contact with ALL children, I just got notified TODAY that her son (4 years old) just tu* minutes after I left. She said how he had d* before I came but thought it was just a upset tummy. I wasn't super cautious... I washed my hands before eating and all, but they were all over me. I thought my nephew was acting odd, I had asked my sister and she said he was tired, skipped his nap. Great. She said he was v* up until yesterday at about 2pm (started at about 7pm 2 days ago) (she gave him sips of milk... I know why he tu* 6-8 times as she said.) it's not normal for me to be exposed from her, she's usually pretty good with keeping me isolated with sick kids. Do I have any possibility (or a strong one) of catching this virus? Pretty sure it is one- she said her other son (1year) is having a nasty tummy, a bit of d* but no v* yet today, just a hour ago she texted me all this. Wish she told me yesterday... Ugh

Default Re: Sick nephew/ exposure?

Update: brother in law just brought over the two 7 year olds. Both were "isolated", they were in their rooms and use a whole separate bathroom from my nephews. My sister has 3 floors not including a basement. Main floor, second floor (nephews, playroom) and third floor which is my nieces room and sister/brother in laws room. Don't worry- the boys have a baby monitor in their rooms- and a guest room is down there incase my sister wants to sleep on the same floor. I know my nieces are safe, it's me I'm worrying about. Reason I took them? They can't be sick for school. Also the 1year old v* a little bit, she said she isn't sure if it's acid reflux, or a bug. She's pretty sure it's a bug though. Once again, UGH!

You are a great sister and aunt. I do not know if I could handle watching the siblings of a child who has a sv. It was hard enough to deal with my own children when they were sick with v. They are grown now so they take care of themselves. As far as catching it from the 4 year old goes I would say your chances are not too great as long as you were not in contact with any d while you were there. Since there was no v until after you left you shoukd be ok. I hope they all recover soon.

my god you are an angel for taking them. sheesh why so many kids? that's a lot of kids. ok but back to topic - exposure risk low. i'm gonna rate it about 10% bc he did have d but no v. do you wipe his butt or is trained? did he feed you from his hands?

wow..you really are a great aunt! If the child wasn't sick around you and you didn't clean up any D* then you should be fine. I am sure your sister washed up carefully.
    and OMG ...your sister with all those kids!!! She must have the patience of a saint! LOL

Yeah she lives with my mother because of the excessive amount of kids lol... She likes it- she's a teacher, and loves kids, teaches 4th grade currently. I don't even know if I can handle one kid, 5, gosh I don't know how she does it.

he had d* before I came, but was around me the whole time, I did not feed him nor did he put his hands in my mouth nose or eyes. I still have both of the 7yr olds, both fine and happy their aunt is spoiling them with candy and treats. My sister said if it's fine with me, I should keep them for 2 weeks because the 1yr old is now sick and she wants it fully out of the house before they come back, they have a bit of a sensitive immune system, and get things worse than others. Like if I had a cold- just a runny nose, they get the same strain from me, they could be hospitalized. They are not autistic, and developmentally and mentally on time. Just poor immune system... I'll gladly spoil my nieces!

I got texted at 1am last night (my sister knew I was up- the kids and I were watching some movies. I got permission- don't worry!) that the 1yr old tu* all over his crib and projectile onto the door... Good aim!

the 4yr old is drinking and recovering. The 5month old I didn't take because I knew the baby had much more of a risk than me, he was feeding her and she was teething on his fingers. I think the 2 twins aware enough, they're both eating some cheddar popcorn and watching Despicable Me 1 then I'll put on the second. Only problem is they'll be off of school for awhile.. But keeps them away from Jermy (spelt wrong, I know, it's a joke in my family) January. (Jermy is pronounced Germy, as in 'terrible twos," it's now Jermy January) for a bit. My sister works at the school they go to, so I bet she can explain. Just say the flu hit them or something LOL
    Last edited by Sammi1990; 01-16-2015 at 09:19 PM.

How is everyone now? Sounds like this was quite the ordeal! Goodness gracious!

You are the bravest person I know!!! I could never take ill kids, I can't look after my own when they are ill.. I hope everyone (including you) is well now xx

Hope everything is well! ... My parents had 6 kids, sometimes it seems like they had too many and other days I wish I had more siblings.

I'm fine but one of the twins got sick. Luckily once she started mentioning her stomach, I pretty much game her a verbal quiz on her syntoms trying to match it up with a sv. Checked her temp, it was 100 so sent her home. Other twin is fine, I'm good, the boys are recovering. No way I caught it from her- so I'm in the clear. Wasn't in because I was (and still am) having a great time with my niece. I taught her how to use a toothpick to make polka-dots on her nails, cool blotting effects, and a few other tricks. Her nails look like a professional did them! She also helped me paint my basement a bit... She said she wanted to- I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks for asking, that really was a lucky slip!

Oh so sorry, how long was it before the twin got ill? You sound like a fab aunt my daughter would love you! :-)

She went home a day after I took her in. I've been told I'm the best aunt ever by my niece, I guess excessive amounts of sugar and movies gets a kid to love you. Who knew!